• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 PDGA Am Worlds--CHARLOTTE

Sugaw likely will be played, but not sure which divisions.

I know it will be played, and I know that most likely I'll get it. But we can dream.......

I only hope for Reedy to offset the pain of Sugaw.....

Official: The 2018 Am Worlds in Charlotte will be the week of July 21 (Saturday) and concluding on July 28. Capacity will be 600-800 players.

Courses, field sizes and Hotel information will be released Tuesday

Set your calendars now! The launch of our website (linked below) will happen at Noon EST Tuesday, 12/19/2017.

The site will have all courses being used, who is playing them, field event and finals venue and the host hotel information. Reservations can be made in the hotel starting Tuesday as well.

Tuesday night at 8 PM EST, I will be live on the event Facebook page to discuss the release and will do a Q and A about this release.

www.2018amworlds.com

The Event Website is Live!

On this site, you can find:
Courses played
Who is playing them
Hotel Information and Reservation information
Divisions Offered and Caps of each division.

If you have questions or comments, please post them below.

Tonight at 8PM EST, I'll answer all questions on the official facebook page live.

http://www.2018amworlds.com/

Number of courses

Is it typical to play as many as 7 different courses during the tournament week? Seems excessive. I guess being local is a huge advantage.

Is it typical to play as many as 7 different courses during the tournament week? Seems excessive. I guess being local is a huge advantage.

No one is playing more than 5.

And that is very common / expected for this event.

No one is playing more than 5.

And that is very common / expected for this event.

The vaunted MA55, MA65....will not be used for Worlds? Heck, if it is not desirable for a tournament the size of Worlds, where might it be useful?

The vaunted MA55, MA65....will not be used for Worlds? Heck, if it is not desirable for a tournament the size of Worlds, where might it be useful?

No.

All divisions at the Worlds require qualification from the previous calendar year. Since these divisions were not offered in 2017, you couldn't qualify for them.

These divisions will be offered at the 2019 worlds from what I was told by the PDGA.

No.

All divisions at the Worlds require qualification from the previous calendar year. Since these divisions were not offered in 2017, you couldn't qualify for them.

These divisions will be offered at the 2019 worlds from what I was told by the PDGA.

AM points are AM points. Though, I do understand that no clear number of points needed, was identified at the beginning of last year..............wait, they change point qualification any time they want. Why would my qualification for Grandmaster not qualify me for MA55 if I met the age requirements?

Obviously, a decision to wait was made, and I get that one had to be made. I don't like the rule anyway.

Last edited:
Divisions were a PDGA call. I asked about it.

I agreed with the decision to not have them, but it was ultimately their call.

The precedent for waiting one year was set the year before when the new Junior classifications were created and they had to wait one year before using them in Worlds so they could earn points in their new age bracket.

Well I have a reminder set on the calendar to stay up to midnight on the 17th to get registered. I imagine we will not see a repeat of this year in Iowa where there were still spots in some divisions late in the game. People knew what was up with points all year this year and with it being in Charlotte I expect this to fill fast.

There are 1000 golfers who meet the requirements for AM1 and 288 spots. It is crazy to me that you can qualify to play in this tournament by getting points in rec or intermediate when the tournament is advanced only, but that is a rant I'm saving up for after i only manage to make the waitlist.

There are 1000 golfers who meet the requirements for AM1 and 288 spots. It is crazy to me that you can qualify to play in this tournament by getting points in rec or intermediate when the tournament is advanced only, but that is a rant I'm saving up for after i only manage to make the waitlist.
Good topic for a separate thread:
Organizations traditionally host Championships based on gender and age. It's a newer concept that hasn't yet gotten traction that Championships for defined skill levels below Open and Open Women could be fairer, more competitive and typically include larger divisions than many of the age based divisions traditionally offered. The point being that until those lower skill based Championships are offered, the PDGA is compelled to allow Intermediate, Rec and Novice players to earn points to potentially qualify to compete for Advanced and Advanced Women World titles.

Another alternative, perhaps more likely, is to break out the Advanced and Advanced Women into a separate Worlds from the age-based Am divisions in the same way it's been separated for Pro divisions so even fields larger than 288 can compete for the Advanced title.

I'm ok with int and rec points counting towards age protected. It's not fair to penalize a player for not having players of their age in their area.

However, Int and Rec should not qualify for advanced. I've had this conversation with Joe and Big Dog.

2018 worlds

There are 1000 golfers who meet the requirements for AM1 and 288 spots. It is crazy to me that you can qualify to play in this tournament by getting points in rec or intermediate when the tournament is advanced only, but that is a rant I'm saving up for after i only manage to make the waitlist.[/QUOTE]

Do you know this for a fact or are you just estimating? I would like to the information if its out there. Not disputing what your saying just curious.