• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 USDGC

First full day (after the hurricane visit) of the USDGC Crew in setting up the Winthrop course. With another volunteer, my group did almost a mile of bottom string (the official OB) on holes 10, 13. 14, and 16; another group did another mile on holes 3, 7, 9, 11, and 12. The Crew should finish the rest of the bottom string tomorrow with the exception of the lake string on holes 5 and 6 where the water level should further recede by weeks end. Top rope and other visuals probably done by Friday. Then there's spreading of several mountains of mulch, replenishing the sand on the beach hole (hole 6), the hay bales (hole 17), and many other never ending tasks. Then there's the banners, flags, and other decorations. Bottom line: DO NOT TRY to do this with 2-4 people!

Yes there are, as always, some significant changes (but I've been sworn to secrecy until the digital caddy book has been posted) but relatively easy holes from last year now have some real gonads added.

For any USDGC players practicing the course or for others just trying to play this ridiculous layout, PLEASE do not expect the volunteers to move for you to play through--not going to happen.

The draft 2018 USDGC Caddy Book has been posted to USDGC.com in the competitor tab.

Thank you to all the folks working hard to get the Golf Course ready for the 20th USDGC.

There will be live coverage as well as post-produced coverage. More details to come.

Thanks for all the well wishes during Florence. We were largely spared compared to many others in the Carolinas. Will to try to answer questions as best I can.

Thanks again,

Harold

The draft 2018 USDGC Caddy Book has been posted to USDGC.com in the competitor tab.

Thank you to all the folks working hard to get the Golf Course ready for the 20th USDGC.

There will be live coverage as well as post-produced coverage. More details to come.

Thanks for all the well wishes during Florence. We were largely spared compared to many others in the Carolinas. Will to try to answer questions as best I can.

Thanks again,

Harold

Thanks for the update.

Live Coverage at USDGC! YES! YES! YES! Finally got Jusi's hands off this one.

I'm also glad to see the short position is gone on 18. The long position is iconic.

Was just going to post the same thing. Designing a hole/pin location primariliy for spectator accommodation was never a good idea. Hole 18 to the long position isn't just iconic, it's one of the greatest finishing holes in disc golf.

Super excited for the live coverage! I don't think any of us should ever be deprived of live disc golf!

Now for who will win? The USDGC always seems to be up in the air, so I'm going to go with Philo Brathwaite! He had a solid finish last year and who knows he might tank this year, but I would love to see him take this one home.

Brace yourself folks. Word is the live coverage is only of the final two rounds. Don't go getting all excited to watch round one (or two) live at the office. :)

With the number of viewers (>11k) and the amount of superchat money that seemed to be flowing, live video coverage should be a no brainer. Post production and the "smashcut" will always be there when you have the time to watch, but the drama and excitement at the finish can never be matched.

Really who watches the Super Bowl on Tuesday.

If I watched the Superbowl at all, it would be on Monday or Tuesday so I could skip the 100+commercials and just watch the 11 minutes of the ball in play.

https://qz.com/150577/an-average-nfl-game-more-than-100-commercials-and-just-11-minutes-of-play/

Interesting to see if they finally got the risk/reward balance right with hole 9 this time.

Glad to see the hazard change back to OB on hole 11. The hazard rule took all the teeth out of that hole last year.

Don't care about live coverage this year...

I'M FLYING IN TO WATCH! So Pumped for this vacation. I was gonna come here to try and get info on schedule, not on the website yet - but understandable with the hurricane and important things like actually getting ready.

Biggest thing I need to learn - when/where do I need to be to sign up to play on Sunday? I'm flying from MN 50% to watch and 50% to hit a bucket list course, don't want to waste the trip!

Hole 9 is gonna be interesting. It looks like if u cross in bounds on an island, but land ob, u should get to move to the spot of last inbounds. Gonna make for some controversial calls there.

Don't care about live coverage this year...

I'M FLYING IN TO WATCH! So Pumped for this vacation. I was gonna come here to try and get info on schedule, not on the website yet - but understandable with the hurricane and important things like actually getting ready.

Biggest thing I need to learn - when/where do I need to be to sign up to play on Sunday? I'm flying from MN 50% to watch and 50% to hit a bucket list course, don't want to waste the trip!

The last few years the Spectator Day tee times have been done in the Pro Shop. So when you get on-site, go to the Pro Shop and tell them you want to sign up for Sunday. Obviously, the earlier you sign up, the more likely you will get a time that you want.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Oh, and bring some disc $$. They always have limited runs and hard to find discs in the Pro Shop.

Hole 9 is gonna be interesting. It looks like if u cross in bounds on an island, but land ob, u should get to move to the spot of last inbounds. Gonna make for some controversial calls there.

According to the caddy book, OB shots will be limited to either the previous lie or to the drop zone, not last place in bounds.

Source:
https://xfer.innovadiscs.com/2018-usdgc-caddy.pdf