• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 USDGC

There's a big difference between random draw doubles at Belmont and what you expect at one of the biggest tournaments of the year. You don't expect to be playing with a Rec player at a pro tournament.

As long as they're inviting the TDs of their qualifying events to play (and that's how both 800 rated guys got in), those players are going to get in. It's been that way almost since the start of this tournament. Sure, for a few years when they did the performance flight, they shuffled those players off so that the pros in the open flight didn't have to play with them, but prior to that, half the field were amateurs or amateur rated players.

I understand it's not an ideal situation to be playing with someone who is throwing two shots to every one of yours, but frankly, if it's going to affect your game that much, the problem is on you, not the other player or the tournament. A good player should be able to play their game regardless of who else is on the card with them and regardless of how those other players are playing.

I guess I just never really noticed it.

It starts right around the same height as the ceiling from the trees, so it blends in very well. To throw a successful thumber you would have to go high through a gap in the tree branches, and that's exactly the gap the net covers.

It starts right around the same height as the ceiling from the trees, so it blends in very well. To throw a successful thumber you would have to go high through a gap in the tree branches, and that's exactly the gap the net covers.

Makes sense. I cant throw a thumber more than 150ft so its not even a thought to look for the shot.

As long as they're inviting the TDs of their qualifying events to play (and that's how both 800 rated guys got in), those players are going to get in. It's been that way almost since the start of this tournament. Sure, for a few years when they did the performance flight, they shuffled those players off so that the pros in the open flight didn't have to play with them, but prior to that, half the field were amateurs or amateur rated players.

I understand it's not an ideal situation to be playing with someone who is throwing two shots to every one of yours, but frankly, if it's going to affect your game that much, the problem is on you, not the other player or the tournament. A good player should be able to play their game regardless of who else is on the card with them and regardless of how those other players are playing.
It seems to me it would make more sense to put those guys together an send them out last

One of the goals of the USDGC/Innova early on was to not only award spots to deserving TDs but give them the opportunity to be a player and see how they can be treated so they could see how to raise the level of their future events.

I don't know....if you are going to have rules to let them in, they should be treated just like everyone else. They pay the same entry fee.
I don't know if there are loopholes to let people into a tournament they didn't qualify for there should be appropriate pairings made for the people who qualified legitimately in my opinion.

It seems like you shouldn't be able to make a "dooper" card** of Rec-rated players for the first round. They should be flighted out just like the rest of the field: randomly, or by whatever method the TD chooses.

For subsequent rounds it all comes out in the wash anyway. Those low-rated players will probably wind up on the same card if they are playing their ratings, but who knows what could happen? Maybe they heat up and land mixed into the more competitive field. There's a reason you throw the discs!

**Yes: pun on "super" card.

I don't know if there are loopholes to let people into a tournament they didn't qualify for there should be appropriate pairings made for the people who qualified legitimately in my opinion.

First, no one got in via a loophole. The TD sets the parameters as to what criteria is used to determine who is eligible to participate. If the player meets the criteria, they're in. Being a qualifying tournament TD is one of the criteria for playing the tournament. That's by definition not a loophole and it's not illegitimate.

Second, it is against PDGA rules to manipulate card assignments for any reason. There are two proscribed ways to group players in the first round...at random or by rating. If they can't make super cards of high rated players without special permission, they can't make cards of low rated players either.

Something I'm not sure has been mentioned yet: new trees on the fairway of hole 5. Right now, they're 4-5 feet tall, and only knocking down bad shots. But in 5 years, the fairway will be considerably tighter.

First, no one got in via a loophole. The TD sets the parameters as to what criteria is used to determine who is eligible to participate. If the player meets the criteria, they're in. Being a qualifying tournament TD is one of the criteria for playing the tournament. That's by definition not a loophole and it's not illegitimate.

Second, it is against PDGA rules to manipulate card assignments for any reason. There are two proscribed ways to group players in the first round...at random or by rating. If they can't make super cards of high rated players without special permission, they can't make cards of low rated players either.
Ok then it's my opinion they should be assigned by player rating

It is not a loophole. They are designated spots reserved as rewards for doing all the work, sweat and time that TD's do. They do qualify. Legitimacy, in this case, is not your call.

I mean to each his own opinion, but I am always the equity/fairness guy.

Ok then it's my opinion they should be assigned by player rating

Assigned by player rating as proscribed in the rules? That's not getting you what you want either. In fact, the opposite.

Competition Manual 1.06 Grouping and Sectioning
B. All players within a division should be grouped for the first round via one of the following methods:
1. Random grouping; players within a division may be randomly grouped for the first round.
2. Player Rating grouping; players within a division may be grouped by player rating to set first round groups. Highest rated player starting on the lowest number hole, the second highest rated player starting on the following hole, etc. This process would continue until all starting holes have been filled. For example, a division of 12 players across 3 holes set by the ranking of their ratings would be:
Hole 1: Players 1, 4, 7, and 10
Hole 2: Players 2, 5, 8, and 11
Hole 3: Players 3, 6, 9, and 12​

Nice round by Melton, great player and an awesome person.

Excited about the lead card.

I did udisc live scoring for McBeth's group...what a day to be "inside the ropes"...13 birdies and five pars...missed an inside the circle putt on 3 and a just outside the circle putt on 7...two of the pars...he had two bad shots all day, tee shots on 11 and 15...two more pars...and he kind of played 18 for par, didn't go after the upshot after a nice drive...last par...

Great day....