• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2019 Ace Race August Throwback Disc: Eclipse

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Figured since there are three discs this year that the ace race will showcase [resurrect] maybe each should have a dedicated thread. I played the August one a couple days ago.

The Eclipse is a speed 7 disc from what I gather. I was going to go out and throw it some today because an ace race isn't really conducive to a disc that is supposedly 7/5/-2/2

My initial thoughts from the event are:
1. The plastic is supposed to be "premium" and it looks like ESP, but it dings up like Pro-D. I dropped it from waist high in a gravel parking lot and dinged up the rim. Maybe this is normal; I'm not sure since last year's AR sol was also called ESP but was a lot softer to the touch?
2. When thrown (and I haven't had too much of a chance to experiment yet), the disc flew a lot like an Innova Cobra for me. It's kind of a cool disc.

I'll update after throwing some more with it today

Figured since there are three discs this year that the ace race will showcase [resurrect] maybe each should have a dedicated thread. I played the August one a couple days ago.

The Eclipse is a speed 7 disc from what I gather. I was going to go out and throw it some today because an ace race isn't really conducive to a disc that is supposedly 7/5/-2/2

My initial thoughts from the event are:
1. The plastic is supposed to be "premium" and it looks like ESP, but it dings up like Pro-D. I dropped it from waist high in a gravel parking lot and dinged up the rim. Maybe this is normal; I'm not sure since last year's AR sol was also called ESP but was a lot softer to the touch?
2. When thrown (and I haven't had too much of a chance to experiment yet), the disc flew a lot like an Innova Cobra for me. It's kind of a cool disc.

I'll update after throwing some more with it today

Okay, so Pro-D, and no Dro-P. ;)

Huh, interesting.. The eclipse was the second driver I ever bought. Had an aviar and went online and bought a DX valk and Pro-D Eclipse. Couldn't jive with the rim, felt like it digged in to my finger.

there is a few old eclipses that have been sitting on the used shelves at my local pias

really just smh at these revivals

seems really low effort

I've been playing 9 years. None of these discs have been OOP for maybe 5 years give or take. Discraft could have done something far more retro.

I can see however why they didn't do a prototype disc. There are what, 5 discs released for McBeth this year? New Discraft molds abound.

Maybe it´s "X" plastics?, looks alot like ESP but not as durable

Just seems like an odd mold to bring back. I haven't seen anyone begging for eclipses recently. They would have more support with talons and reapers however!

Maybe they have a bunch of old stock that they need to clear out and have an excuse for.

Just seems like an odd mold to bring back. I haven't seen anyone begging for eclipses recently. They would have more support with talons and reapers however!

Maybe they have a bunch of old stock that they need to clear out and have an excuse for.

I have a lot of good memories throwing a Reaper when I was in high school. Summertime, get off work at 2, load up with the boys and play a round or two, winner buys pop for the rest of the gang, maybe we all chip in and grab a $4 hot and ready little caesars....

Talons and Reapers wouldn't be great for those short holes, and they weren't released in the 80s, which is the decade the Eclipse is representing (Hawk for the 90s, Wildcat, 00s). Doubt they wouldn't have enough old stock to supply the Ace Races...

Talons and Reapers wouldn't be great for those short holes, and they weren't released in the 80s, which is the decade the Eclipse is representing (Hawk for the 90s, Wildcat, 00s). Doubt they wouldn't have enough old stock to supply the Ace Races...

Fair enough, I can definitely see that. It's probably a lot easier for them to dust off an old mold rather than designing and testing out a new one. Between Paul's new lineup of discs and the recent surge of newer molds being presented already. It makes sense to do a retro throwback line.

I would drive up to three hours to get a pair of Z Reapers in one of these... but your right that would be a crappy disc for an AR.

this is the Eclipse he got fro his tournament. The Disc looks like either old ESP or modern Titanium.

My two seem like standard ESP plastic, they hit some trees, chains, some gravel and even a trip on the street (oops). No dings or dents even on the one I tried to break in quickly with some gravel road rollers. They are domey but nothing out of the ordinary in my experience. Sorry to hear your experience was different than mine.

Attachments

• AceRace2019.jpg
    AceRace2019.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 34
My two seem like standard ESP plastic, they hit some trees, chains, some gravel and even a trip on the street (oops). No dings or dents even on the one I tried to break in quickly with some gravel road rollers. They are domey but nothing out of the ordinary in my experience. Sorry to hear your experience was different than mine.

How do they fly? Fairly neutral in the ESP? Glidey with the dome?

How do they fly? Fairly neutral in the ESP? Glidey with the dome?

Definitely have some glide to them. I would say fairly neutral is a good description with some fade at the end. Made it a little tough to dial in on real short AR holes but with a little bit of power seemed to hold nice lines. Seen a lot of folks throwing it sorta hard and letting the basket stop it.

Definitely have some glide to them. I would say fairly neutral is a good description with some fade at the end. Made it a little tough to dial in on real short AR holes but with a little bit of power seemed to hold nice lines. Seen a lot of folks throwing it sorta hard and letting the basket stop it

That's generally how people try to ace a hole. ;)

That's generally how people try to ace a hole. ;)

Touché ;)

For reference, this ace race had holes from 80 ft to maybe 200 ft, along with multiple baskets on every hole. Seemed to be two schools of thought when trying to ace at this race.

Finesse it, throw it with a little height maybe 10-20 ft right of basket (RHBH) and let it start to stall and fade into the baskets. Often times the glide would just keep it sailing over the top or just past the basket(s). When done right these ended up sticking pretty good in the basket and rarely coming back out.

Throw it with some power, these were thrown on a rope and just stayed up hardly dropping at all. No need to account for fade here, just an all out attack right at it. These were about 50/50 of staying in the basket. Witnessed many spit backs, smash chains and then kick right back out. One guy on my card had 3 aces and maybe 8-9 metals, with almost half of those being spit backs. Think the winner had 5 aces and 13 metals.

Fair enough, I can definitely see that. It's probably a lot easier for them to dust off an old mold rather than designing and testing out a new one. Between Paul's new lineup of discs and the recent surge of newer molds being presented already. It makes sense to do a retro throwback line.

need to make the Zepplin or whatever it was called a disc again, more so that the company that copied the disc mold verbatim is no longer in business.

I don't like the sharp bead, but it's not a dealbreaker.

I really expected this disc to fly like a faster version of an Innova Cobra with the -2/2, but it flies a lot more like the 2016 AR Archer -3/1 for me.

Like the archer, it holds a nice straight line when thrown underpowered.
Also like the archer, it's very easy to turn over, and it holds a nice turnover line when powered up, but fades back a tad better than the archer.

On a hyzerflip, the eclipse flips up nicely and rides a long straight path with a gentle faded finish, more reliable than the archer. It flies a lot like my beat hornet (totally different disc supposedly at 5/5/0/4 but ) on the hyzerflip, but requires less effort to achieve.

I think I'm going to keep playing with it for a bit... it replaces both my hornet and my least stable heat that I used for long turnovers.

Latest posts