• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Disccraft Ace Race

The Eclipse was my primary driver from the time it appeared on the market until it went OOP.

The Vortex was one of my favorite mids until I could no longer find replacements.

The last of my Typhoons left my bag a couple years ago, after years of service.

Those are my three favorite Discraft molds. I'd love to have more of them.
:thmbup:
Loved how those things beat in to a trusty turn over disc.

It does seem odd to be including the Eclipse in the Ace Race normally for mids and putters considering it has the sharpest driver nose angle for its time and ultimately became the nose sharpness maximum allowed in the PDGA Tech Standards for all discs to follow.
Hmm. The disc most seem to want out of the three,but the least suitable for the format ?

At first, I was bummed that the hawk was September's disc, because my AR is in August, and I actually considered trying out a hawk about a month ago (but instead figured an Innova cobra that I already had was probably pretty similar), but now after looking at the eclipse, I'm pretty excited to get my hands on that instead. Only two weeks!

There's a different disc each month?

Where is this information posted?

Hmm. The disc most seem to want out of the three,but the least suitable for the format ?
Perhaps the thought is that newbies might need a driver to reach some of the Ace Race holes and more advanced players will have a trickier time controlling a driver as well as a putter or mid? Or it may just simply be a disc they decided to bring back for this format.

First post on page 3 of this thread. #21

Thanks. I clearly missed that. And when I looked at the official ace race website this morning the info has not been updated.

I suppose that there will be people traveling to multiple events to partake in all three versions.

My first thought is "meh". None of those molds have been gone for a significant amount of time. And time and time again the question of "why isn't this disc available in *insert_plastic_type_here*, the answer is often because they are glideless turds and don't fly as well as the production versions. Perhaps Discraft will prove me wrong this time around.

Thanks. I clearly missed that. And when I looked at the official ace race website this morning the info has not been updated.

I suppose that there will be people traveling to multiple events to partake in all three versions.

My first thought is "meh". None of those molds have been gone for a significant amount of time. And time and time again the question of "why isn't this disc available in *insert_plastic_type_here*, the answer is often because they are glideless turds and don't fly as well as the production versions. Perhaps Discraft will prove me wrong this time around.
Z Hawks were a thing. Glideless turd was a good description. I doubt the plastic on these will be Z, though. Probably ESP. ESP has much less of a glideless turd factor than Z.

They do most of their announcements on Facebook. Discraft doesn't seem to update the Ace Race website until after events have started.

FWIW, the sol (last year's ace race disc) was "molded off the Breeze" (from the Ace Race FB page), and the sol glides quite a bit. I dunno, I'm actually pretty excited to see what the eclipse and hawk can do. What plastic are you guys hoping for? Personally, I'm hoping for z-flx

I bagged the Z Hawk for a year before the buzzz came out and took over my bag along with the rest of the people who don't worship the Roc god. The Hawk is nothing to be excited about.

If they weren't going to bring back old school molds from the beginning 1980-2000 they could have at least have brought back a dozen other much more popular molds from recent history than the Hawk and the Wildcat. Bleh.

At least the eclipse makes some sense. It had its moment in history and it's going to be *fun* to throw. Fun if you've never thrown one before and get a kick out of that sort of thing. Fun to watch if you played 20 years ago and already know what it's about. I'm not saying its a bad disc, it's just totally different than modern drivers.

Outside of the eclipse in a premium plastic these are probably just the 2 most plentiful discs they had laying around the warehouse. Innova should run one of these events and hand out the random garbage they haven't cleared out of the factory store in the last 10 years too. No really they should. Or at least recycle them for pellets at this point.

It will probably be the first Ace race I've done in 10 years just so I can watch people try to throw the eclipse. I guess they got my money after all.

I bagged the Z Hawk for a year before the buzzz came out and took over my bag along with the rest of the people who don't worship the Roc god. The Hawk is nothing to be excited about.
When Discraft tried to run old molds in the then-new Z plastic there were at least three notable failures that resulted in really overstable, glideless turds; The Magnet, Hawk and Cyclone. All three were good 90's discs that just did not translate to Z plastic at all. Nate Doss threw Z Hawks because they were 100% power player discs. If you didn't have a Doss-like cannon, there was no reason to bother.

ESP Cyclones were a good, workable driver. Whatever Hellish demon possessed the Z Cyclone was exercised from the ESP Cyclone.

I don't expect that the Ace Race Hawk will be in Z since Discraft already knows that they will be glideless turds. They will probably be ESP or Jawbreaker or something like that and hopefully fly closer to the workable Hawks of the 90's, which flew a lot like a Cobra. As I recall you could get one over but they had a strong fade back at the end, so S curve Cobraish kinda flight.

The only Hawk I have left is just a solid blue but it doesn't actually say what kind of plastic it is. The Eclipse I used to have got lost in a lake if I remember correctly. Those were pretty much what I started playing with back then. The Wildcat sounds like something I wouldn't be interested in. Unless I can find an ace race in Wisconsin or Minnesota that match my days I won't be working I will definitely try to get to one even though I never played a tournament ever.

So I now have a stack of 5 pro d Hawks. Let friends throw one of them tonight. 2 of them bought the last 2 Discgolfcenter.com had.
This disc is amazing... It's almost as awesome as a Comet....and there are no Ace Races close enough for me to go to in Sept. I expect to be paying inflated prices for a couple someone doesn't want.

Has the plastic been anounced for it? I think this disc would be awesome in Ti.

So I now have a stack of 5 pro d Hawks. Let friends throw one of them tonight. 2 of them bought the last 2 Discgolfcenter.com had.
This disc is amazing... It's almost as awesome as a Comet....and there are no Ace Races close enough for me to go to in Sept. I expect to be paying inflated prices for a couple someone doesn't want.

The Hawk was one of the 1st discs I bought back when I started my DG career back in the Summer of '19 - I've enjoyed it. Maybe it's not the best or straightest disc out there, but I enjoy throwing it. I also have no Sept Ace Races anywhere near me, and I can't seem to talk my wife into any kind of road trip. So I'm also hoping to find some at maybe less-than-inflated prices.

it will most likely be in ESP, and I wouldn't expect the prices to be outrageous...

it will most likely be in ESP, and I wouldn't expect the prices to be outrageous...

To be frank, I am not all that impressed with the last couple years ESP. I mean, it's better than FLX, but I miss the older runs that was more like a firm pro star mix.

I do like the current runs of ESP to give it a try if that is the run it comes out in though.

When Discraft tried to run old molds in the then-new Z plastic there were at least three notable failures that resulted in really overstable, glideless turds; The Magnet, Hawk and Cyclone. All three were good 90's discs that just did not translate to Z plastic at all. Nate Doss threw Z Hawks because they were 100% power player discs. If you didn't have a Doss-like cannon, there was no reason to bother.

ESP Cyclones were a good, workable driver. Whatever Hellish demon possessed the Z Cyclone was exercised from the ESP Cyclone.

I don't expect that the Ace Race Hawk will be in Z since Discraft already knows that they will be glideless turds. They will probably be ESP or Jawbreaker or something like that and hopefully fly closer to the workable Hawks of the 90's, which flew a lot like a Cobra. As I recall you could get one over but they had a strong fade back at the end, so S curve Cobraish kinda flight.

Also Z Messed up the flight of the Express when Discraft made the disc in that plastic so it went from -1 in Pro D and X to a 0.0 on the disc in Z and made a disc that people liked for Left shots only as Discraft did not have discs like that into a completely straight flier and since Discraft had those straight fliers the mold popularity went way down for the Z mold. Now as of 2017 Express popularity way down due to the 0.0 Z mold being the only plastic for such an awkward feeling mold.

Last edited: