• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2020 NT and DGPT Schedules Announced

why doesnt colorado have any major events

i thought they had sick courses

I'd imagine it has something to do with the extreme change in how discs fly at elevation? Pros would likely avoid having to relearn their bags as well as a new course

They don't assign them but they also won't let you have one that does not suit them so sort of 50/50 there.

Yeah, there's no one entity to blame. Scheduling is damn hard when you are trying to squeeze X number of events into the season and you have to try to account for nearly all the players traveling over land between events (as opposed to flying).

I think the change in format at BSF and the fact that it's a familiar course for the touring players is probably the best possible outcome if circumstances prevented an open weekend. Wasn't the big knock on Delaware immediately following Worlds this year that it was an extremely challenging course that had only been on the tour for a year? Players didn't want to race across the country for limited practice on a relatively new (to them) course. Do most of them really need a ton of practice at Milo at this point?

As a reminder, you don't need great courses to host big events. You need suitable courses.

What you need is great people.

People willing and able to put forth the massive effort, in organization and preparation and fundraising and all the rest. We're fortunate to have enough of them to have a tour.

Sure, it's ideal to have both---great courses and great people, in the same place. But we don't always have that luxury.

As a reminder, you don't need great courses to host big events. You need suitable courses.

What you need is great people.

People willing and able to put forth the massive effort, in organization and preparation and fundraising and all the rest. We're fortunate to have enough of them to have a tour.

Sure, it's ideal to have both---great courses and great people, in the same place. But we don't always have that luxury.

Good post. All of the above and generally to have a couple players take to social media to trash the event or some part of it.

There's more to it, of course. The calendar has to work out---I'd guess everyone and every place can't simply host a tournament any time they want, or any time that fits into the touring schedule. And a locale that can host an even of a certain scale. And no doubt other ingredients.

But without the people---an extremely dedicated core of people to undertake it, and a large group of locals help---it doesn't matter what else you have.

I am guessing that Colorado will get a large event in the next few years. Discmania has been working on things up in the Fort Collins area and I am sure that they will want their own premier event close to their headquarters once it is ready.

Initial thoughts:

USWDGC being moved to May really stinks. That does not do any favors for the Ams. However, great location admittedly.

BSF and PO may lose out due to Worlds. 19 days from Worlds to EO.

GLO gets potentially screwed with the four day turnaround from EO - I can't help but think that's a punishment for last year (irrational I know).

Idlewild and Ledgestone back to back? Ouch.

No Florida stops (cue sad face).

Scheduling is hard.

Nothing in DFW either. I guess the Nick Hyde/Hyzerbomb guys don't feel like the extras needed to attain DGPT or NT/Major status was worth it. Pretty sure it was just an A-tier last year and the course was redesigned in such ways that the pros didn't much care for it either. Hopefully Eagle and a few other names make it again.
Tyler is pretty far to drive from most of Dallas and all of Ft Worth.

Nothing in DFW either. I guess the Nick Hyde/Hyzerbomb guys don't feel like the extras needed to attain DGPT or NT/Major status was worth it. Pretty sure it was just an A-tier last year and the course was redesigned in such ways that the pros didn't much care for it either. Hopefully Eagle and a few other names make it again.
Tyler is pretty far to drive from most of Dallas and all of Ft Worth.

I am having a harder and harder time imagining how anyone would think hosting a pro tour or NT would be worth it. I really don't see any upside in it for anyone but the players and potentially the disc manufacturing sponsor.....if even that.

I am having a harder and harder time imagining how anyone would think hosting a pro tour or NT would be worth it. I really don't see any upside in it for anyone but the players and potentially the disc manufacturing sponsor.....if even that.

I think it makes sense for local disc shops(like The Nati who do Idlewild) to run big events. Promoting disc golf in your area can only help your business.

Cincy has a pretty healthy disc golf scene. They could use a few more volunteers I'm sure but the locals do a pretty good job, especially with the course work.

Why do you feel that the USWDGC moving from September to May is worse for amateurs? I don't see it as better or worse. I think it would be better if the event was held in the summer to increase the likelihood of students being able to attend.

Initial thoughts:

USWDGC being moved to May really stinks. That does not do any favors for the Ams. However, great location admittedly.

BSF and PO may lose out due to Worlds. 19 days from Worlds to EO.

GLO gets potentially screwed with the four day turnaround from EO - I can't help but think that's a punishment for last year (irrational I know).

Idlewild and Ledgestone back to back? Ouch.

No Florida stops (cue sad face).

Scheduling is hard.

Sad for Beaver State. Happy for Idlewild. Think Great Lakes got what they deserved. No Konopiste next year either? Four months between Worlds and USDGC is good.

Konopiste will host the European Disc Golf Championships next year (19th to 22nd of August).
Then, I guess they will run the Konopiste Open again in 2021 or 2022.

It looks like there will only be 3 majors next year. Hopefully, there will be 4 from 2021 or 2022.

I certainly hope that Music City Open course is revamped. I liked parts of the course, but hated other parts of it. It was basically a "who can throw the furthest" course on an old ball golf course. It's cool to see the pros throw as far as they can, but I don't want to watch it for an entire round.

I'm pumped nonetheless.

Latest posts