• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 PDGA Board of Directors Elections

Anything noteworthy stand out to you?

Yes. I've followed BOD elections for 23 years. There have been many candidates I've felt would be good for the PDGA but no statement or video has captured my attention remotely as much as David Schreff. I was very skeptical of his profile. Heck, I thought he could be fictitious. So now I'm half way through the candidate videos & frankly they blend together. However, David's was a surprise. He started off saying this is his first year in the sport & he was attracted as a fan first. His player profile section of the candidate statement was blank & he explains that well.Throughout, he talks about the importance of fans and participants who make DG a lifelong sport & are lifelong PDGA members. His emphasis was that fan value drives a sport. One perspective on the top Pros was they provide aspiration for fans & players. I'll say he certainly does a professional and interesting interview. He was quick to say he doesn't have all the answers so he'll start with asking questions. I think he is worthy of consideration and his presence could be a grand experiment.

I listened to all of the candidate interviews during a long drive this past weekend, and to me Wil McKaskle was far and away the most impressive candidate, and it wasn't particularly close. All of the others either lack experience/knowledge (Schreff, Tsinajinnie), or lack broad vision/perspective (Petrea, Wallis?, Decker?), or both (Baker) (Munn seemed decent/good on all counts too, but McKaskle was more impressive on every count to me). On top of that, McKaskle had multiple concrete, specific suggestions of actions he would try to implement as a board member, whereas everyone else was only making vague and general statements about growing the sport. I haven't made up my mind on the other two slots, but McKaskle is definitely the one I would personally strongly advocate for.

I listened to all of the candidate interviews during a long drive this past weekend, and to me Wil McKaskle was far and away the most impressive candidate, and it wasn't particularly close. All of the others either lack experience/knowledge (Schreff, Tsinajinnie), or lack broad vision/perspective (Petrea, Wallis?, Decker?), or both (Baker) (Munn seemed decent/good on all counts too, but McKaskle was more impressive on every count to me). On top of that, McKaskle had multiple concrete, specific suggestions of actions he would try to implement as a board member, whereas everyone else was only making vague and general statements about growing the sport. I haven't made up my mind on the other two slots, but McKaskle is definitely the one I would personally strongly advocate for.
Generally agree with your assessment. McKaskle got one of my votes.

It would be very detrimental to the sport if David isn't elected to the board. He has a good relationship with the USOPC from what I have been told and can help disc golf associations get recognized by their countries olympic committees. They could give funding which could lead to new courses. He also has experience managing a national governing body that has a larger budget than the PDGA and I think his expertise is needed so the PDGA can invest the new money wisely.

It would be very detrimental to the sport if David isn't elected to the board. He has a good relationship with the USOPC from what I have been told and can help disc golf associations get recognized by their countries olympic committees. They could give funding which could lead to new courses. He also has experience managing a national governing body that has a larger budget than the PDGA and I think his expertise is needed so the PDGA can invest the new money wisely.
I think he might be better suited, happier and more effective as a hired consultant to the PDGA similar to Jack Kelly who was an advisor to the BOD several years ago but passed away within a year or so of his connection with the PDGA. One thing to consider is that if David does not get elected, the Board may consider appointing him to fill one of the two optional "expert" appointed BOD positions which members may not be aware existed. Here are the relevant sections in the Bylaws:

3.2 NUMBER, TENURE AND QUALIFICATIONS. The number of Directors of the Corporation shall not be less than seven (7) nor more than nine (9). The term of office shall be three (3) years or for such period of time as the Board may determine by written resolutions, and may consist of staggered and successive terms for all Directors as the Board may determine by written resolution. (...)

3.3 ELECTION AND APPOINTMENT OF DIRECTORS. The majority of the Board of Directors shall be elected by the Active members only, in accordance with procedures established from time to time by the Board of Directors. A minority of the Board of Directors may be appointed by the Board of Directors in order to fulfill the needs of the Corporation, as determined by the Board, for additional experience and skill sets on the Board of Directors in accordance with procedures established from time to time by the Directors. (...)

I think he might be better suited, happier and more effective as a hired consultant to the PDGA similar to Jack Kelly who was an advisor to the BOD several years ago but passed away within a year or so of his connection with the PDGA. One thing to consider is that if David does not get elected, the Board may consider appointing him to fill one of the two optional "expert" appointed BOD positions which members may not be aware existed.

While I agree that he may be better suited to a consultancy there is no way on God's green earth that the guy isn't going to get elected. There's not even a well known touring pro to soak up the votes.

I think he might be better suited, happier and more effective as a hired consultant to the PDGA similar to Jack Kelly who was an advisor to the BOD several years ago but passed away within a year or so of his connection with the PDGA. One thing to consider is that if David does not get elected, the Board may consider appointing him to fill one of the two optional "expert" appointed BOD positions which members may not be aware existed. Here are the relevant sections in the Bylaws:

3.2 NUMBER, TENURE AND QUALIFICATIONS. The number of Directors of the Corporation shall not be less than seven (7) nor more than nine (9). The term of office shall be three (3) years or for such period of time as the Board may determine by written resolutions, and may consist of staggered and successive terms for all Directors as the Board may determine by written resolution. (...)

3.3 ELECTION AND APPOINTMENT OF DIRECTORS. The majority of the Board of Directors shall be elected by the Active members only, in accordance with procedures established from time to time by the Board of Directors. A minority of the Board of Directors may be appointed by the Board of Directors in order to fulfill the needs of the Corporation, as determined by the Board, for additional experience and skill sets on the Board of Directors in accordance with procedures established from time to time by the Directors. (...)
Jack Kelly did a really good job setting up connections between the PDGA and Visitor Bureaus at conventions. I was very sad when he passed away from cancer.

I only saw 92 clown write in votes?
picture.php

It will be interesting to see if the new Board votes Bob Decker back in as a Financial expert Board member (which is allowed).

Did the PDGA mis-spell Scott Stokely's name... Did the write-ins... Or did someone named Scott Stockley get 24 write-in votes?

Latest posts