• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 DGPT Championship Oct 12-16

Nevin would be my first choice but guessing DGPT likes open courses more for spectator access.

Anyone know if Renny Gold was considered as the replacement?
Has a lot of the heavily wooded holes, several long open ones, and the jaw dropping ravine that would look great on video. Plus the same facilities as the other parks and hosted rounds during the 2018 Worlds.

I think you're right. As a decidedly intermediate-level player, my score playing the course blind was +6, which was as good as half the MPO field for the play-in today. That should never happen if they're playing smart.
Probably a different layout than what you played. They made some changes to extend a few holes with new tee pads and added some OB around the course. I think the layout also uses some of the harder pin positions with lower pars (MPO Par 62 @ 9000' vs. the Long layout Par 68 @ 9200' on UDisc https://udisc.com/courses/nevin-park-MYKD)

According to Jeff Spring during the press conference, Hornet's Nest was undergoing changes, and that Nevin was the 2nd choice from when they first moved to Charlotte, so they decided to use Nevin whilst Hornet's Nest was unavailable.

From what I read from locals posting in the disc golf sub Reddit the DGPT decision wasn't confirmed or finalized till about a month before MVP Open. Short turnaround time to clean the course up and make the necessary course changes.

I played the DGPT layout this past Sunday with a group. We did dubs, and I was Lone Wolf; paid twice so I could get 2 from every lie...

After 6 holes, I was -1. Felt pretty good.

At the end, I was +7. And dog-tired.

Hear me, oh DGPT players: I used either a Comet or a Truth on almost every drive. If I needed something fast, I used a stable-ish Mayhem or an Explorer. Granted, I'm an older fellow, and almost 100% backhand, but I can throw for some decent distance.

Length of the course should NOT induce a lot of d*ck-measuring out there. Throw placement shots. You'll thank me later.

I generally like wooded courses, but this one is too much. Does not give a good viewing experience for me, and I'm thinking the pros are going to be none too thrilled with it.

What I'd like to see is to place the championship permanently at Maple Hill at the end of September.

I played the DGPT layout this past Sunday with a group. We did dubs, and I was Lone Wolf; paid twice so I could get 2 from every lie...

After 6 holes, I was -1. Felt pretty good.

At the end, I was +7. And dog-tired.

Hear me, oh DGPT players: I used either a Comet or a Truth on almost every drive. If I needed something fast, I used a stable-ish Mayhem or an Explorer. Granted, I'm an older fellow, and almost 100% backhand, but I can throw for some decent distance.

Length of the course should NOT induce a lot of d*ck-measuring out there. Throw placement shots. You'll thank me later.

My guess is a lot of the poor scores, particularly on the MPO side, are directly a result of playing DGPT. The ideal strategy for MPO on the DGPT is basically to go high-risk/high-reward...hope you're on, and finish well. There are too many good players in MPO who can all get hot for a strategy of being conservative to pay off over the course of the year.

There's so much difference in strategy from "I gotta finish in the top half" to "I gotta go high risk if I want any chance of a top finish".

I hear you. The thing is, playing smart isn't necessarily a conservative gameplan at this course.

In my view, an extra 30-50 feet in driving distance on a par 4 isn't going to make that much of a difference. It's still a birdie opportunity if you're in the fairway.

(Then again, I'm not a 30-something tour player, so anything I say should be viewed through that lens. :D My only real strengths are athleticism, and a sort of wisdom learned through hard lessons over the years on these Charlotte courses. At 55, I feel like I've earned the right to both have an opinion, and to be wrong about it.)

I think it's woods golf and a lot of these players are playing aggressive like normal

Big Jerm playing it cool so far: -4 thru 8.

I'm kind of hoping for Gibson to get into the mix again this year. Like him or not it's delicious to watch him smashing mids 400'+ in the woods when he's in his rhythm.

BWill's hot mic "I hope that was worth it, sausage company," made my day, and that's good, bc it has been a crappy day.

The walk-ups under the sausage arch are goofy.

I think one thing holding back video coverage in the woods is on holes where the basket is not visible from the tee and a significant dogleg is present, the cut to the catch came comes with no spatial grounding for the viewer. The cut orients the viewer to the disc but not to the hole design/fairway. I'm just spitballing here, but could there be a split screen with a shot from the tee and in the opposite direction looking back up the fairway when a catch cam is present? Not sure of my own proposal because not sure the real-time viewing experience of the catch cam locating the disc would be a great viewing experience.

A lot of dog legs out here, and it's not always great TV viewing.

I'm just spitballing here, but could there be a split screen with a shot from the tee and in the opposite direction looking back up the fairway when a catch cam is present?

Could help - sometimes I've wondered if it might also be nice to have a camera positioned looking down the dogleg toward the basket rather than from the basket up toward the dogleg. Don't want too many cameras in the way though...

Couple observations:

As more and more courses on tour go the ball golf/bomber route, it seems woods skills may diminish overall. I think there needs to be a good mix of both holes per course, and courses per tour year. The usual players who can pipe straight shots 400' will do well--Drew (of late), Isaac Robinson, and of course Conrad. Hitting tight gaps is quite the equalizer to distance. I will say this--if Buhr takes this down, he enters POY conversation, IMHO. Not saying he'd be a favorite, but definitely in the running. I would be surprised though, he seems to do less than great on tight wooded courses. At least the couple I recall seeing him play.

I noticed Barbasol as sponsor for 2 days now--not sure what this means, but they are definitely NOT a disc golf company. If some 'regular' companies start pouring some ad/sponsor money into DG, that could really be a game changer. Of course, they will want to see return on their investment won't they? Not sure what kind of viewing numbers this event brings.

Couple observations:

As more and more courses on tour go the ball golf/bomber route, it seems woods skills may diminish overall. I think there needs to be a good mix of both holes per course, and courses per tour year. The usual players who can pipe straight shots 400' will do well--Drew (of late), Isaac Robinson, and of course Conrad. Hitting tight gaps is quite the equalizer to distance. I will say this--if Buhr takes this down, he enters POY conversation, IMHO. Not saying he'd be a favorite, but definitely in the running. I would be surprised though, he seems to do less than great on tight wooded courses. At least the couple I recall seeing him play.

I noticed Barbasol as sponsor for 2 days now--not sure what this means, but they are definitely NOT a disc golf company. If some 'regular' companies start pouring some ad/sponsor money into DG, that could really be a game changer. Of course, they will want to see return on their investment won't they? Not sure what kind of viewing numbers this event brings.

Disc dyers use shaving cream to dye discs. So... It actually makes sense.

I will say this--if Buhr takes this down, he enters POY conversation, IMHO. Not saying he'd be a favorite, but definitely in the running. I would be surprised though, he seems to do less than great on tight wooded courses. At least the couple I recall seeing him play.

I used him on my fantasy team most weeks since the middle of last year. This year he was pretty much top 10 every event. 4th at Idlewild. He's good in the woods. He's got that Drew Gibson "I can throw midranges far through the woods" thing going on.

1 camera at the tee and 1 camera 500 feet down the fairway can cover the entire flight on a ball course.
On a heavily wooded course it would take 3 or 4 cameras to get the full flight of a much shorter drive and they aren't going to devote 3 or 4 cameras to one hole. Then if a shot hits a tree the cameras often lose it completely. And quite often the camera people can't get in place quickly enough for shots that are way out of position. Plus when a shot is off the fairway it can be difficult for the viewer to know where the player is throwing since we don't know where the basket is.

Having said that, I prefer viewing tournaments on wooded courses way more than wide open "OB fests".

Just finished viewing the second round. Fast forwarded a lot as it wasn't a compelling watch. I actually preferred watching this tournament at New Worlds to this course. Was there a reason as to why they left it? At the time, it seemed like it was something they planned on getting established, and then just gone. I see they are having a Silver Series event there next month.

I think I'd personally enjoy it if this was a moving tournament. It doesn't seem like it's as demanding an ask for the town as hosting a Worlds, so it could give some year-to-year variety on the tour.

Surprised they don't reseed the qualifiers who move on each round based on the order they finished in each round to move on.

Latest posts