• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 Texas State Championship Mar 24-27

It looks like next weekend they will be playing a new layout they are calling "The Thorn," which will be using holes from all three courses on that property (including Dogwood), a few holes that combine two holes from the same course, and some holes that use a tee from one course and play to a basket on one of the other courses. This design also allows for a lot of spectators.

If you have ever been on the property and played those courses, it's a fascinating layout. You can see the maps in the caddy book on the DGPT site. I will try to link it.
it looks like next weekend they will be playing a new layout they are calling "The Thorn," which will be using holes from all three courses on that property (including Dogwood), a few holes that combine two holes from the same course, and some holes that use a tee from one course and play to a basket on one of the other courses. This design also allows for a lot of spectators.

If you have ever been on the property and played those courses, it's a fascinating layout. You can see the maps in the caddy book on the DGPT site. I will try to link it.

https://www.dgpt.com/event/2022-texas-state-disc-golf-championships/

It's a little hard to tell which holes are being repurposed but it doesn't look like they are using much of Dogwood at all.

OK
5=dogwood 16
6=dogwood 17
8=dogwood 2
9=dogwood 3

It looks like they've caught a lot of the interesting parts of Cedar and Hickory. They have left some really awesome dogwood holes out of the mix to catch some fairly meh holes. I don't think that these really allow for good spectating either. At least dogwood 3 is a classic backbreaker.

OK
5=dogwood 16
6=dogwood 17
8=dogwood 2
9=dogwood 3

It looks like they've caught a lot of the interesting parts of Cedar and Hickory. They have left some really awesome dogwood holes out of the mix to catch some fairly meh holes. I don't think that these really allow for good spectating either. At least dogwood 3 is a classic backbreaker.

It seems like they went for holes that allowed more spectating. I know very little of the new holes, so let's see how they play out.

But yes, I liked the dogwood course a lot.

Geez, what a bummer. As someone who plays these courses frequently (and has played this particular format a couple of times) I've got to say this is a real miss.

The Dogwood course is a blast to play (and watch the pros play) while Hickory and Cedar are pretty dull, though I suppose will have better sightlines for attendees. What a disappointment to see one of the ever-dwindling wooded courses forget its charms.

Geez, what a bummer. As someone who plays these courses frequently (and has played this particular format a couple of times) I've got to say this is a real miss.

The Dogwood course is a blast to play (and watch the pros play) while Hickory and Cedar are pretty dull, though I suppose will have better sightlines for attendees. What a disappointment to see one of the ever-dwindling wooded courses forget its charms.

I don't think it's just holes from the other courses; my understanding is that's a safari course combining parts of all three courses.

Disclaimer: I've never seen the other two courses.

There are a few holes (2, 4, 15, 18) which combine shots from existing layouts but it's mostly holes in use already. Most of these are really good. It's just not the fun parts of Dogwood (and no, they are not the most spectator-friendly parts of Dogwood, either. I think they just make a convenient linkage between the parts of Cedar and the parts of Hickory that they want to use).

I don't think it's just holes from the other courses; my understanding is that's a safari course combining parts of all three courses.

Disclaimer: I've never seen the other two courses.

From what I can tell by looking at the caddy book maps, I think there are 12 holes that are regular holes from one of the courses (2 from Cedar, 4 from Dogwood, and 6 from Hickory). Then there are 4 holes that are safari holes from within the same course (3 from Cedar and 1 from Hickory). Hole 18 appears to play from a temp tee on the Hickory area of the property to a regular basket on Cedar. And I don't know what hole 9 is. It might be a hole from Dogwood that I just don't recognize from the map. But it could be something new.

From what I can tell by looking at the caddy book maps, I think there are 12 holes that are regular holes from one of the courses (2 from Cedar, 4 from Dogwood, and 6 from Hickory). Then there are 4 holes that are safari holes from within the same course (3 from Cedar and 1 from Hickory). Hole 18 appears to play from a temp tee on the Hickory area of the property to a regular basket on Cedar. And I don't know what hole 9 is. It might be a hole from Dogwood that I just don't recognize from the map. But it could be something new.

Hole 9 is Cedar long's tee to Cedar 17's pin for MPO. FPO is playing the same tee to Cedar 15's right hand pin.

Fyi, FPO is also playing 5 shorter tees to the same pins as MPO. Hole 4 the women play from Cedar 5's normal long tee, whereas MPO plays from Cedar 4's normal long tee, both to Cedar 5's regular pin.

On holes 10, 12, 16, & 17 the women play from the normal Hickory short tee.

Watching Brodie and Ezra practice round.

If the weather holds, the winner will need 3 hot rounds. I expect to see 2-4 or more in the hunt.

I don't see this as a course where you can make up for big mistakes.

Regardless it doesn't appear as interesting as Dogwood.

Just noticed all the VIP passes are sold out, but there are still general spectator passes available. I'd think it would be the opposite but I don't know what disc golf is anymore...

Dogwood was so much better... Disc golf viewing is going downhill.

I don't think one course getting less interesting for one year makes for all of DG viewing going downhill. There's going to be some steps backward in order to figure out what makes the most sense for the DGPT and viewers.

I don't think one course getting less interesting for one year makes for all of DG viewing going downhill. There's going to be some steps backward in order to figure out what makes the most sense for the DGPT and viewers.

It's not just Dogwood though, it's another example of the larger trend:

Texas States has eliminated wooded holes
Portland Open has swapped out some rounds for its ball golf course
Worlds will be at big boring Emporia
Former elite series wooded courses at Dela and Iron Hill are now a Silver Series or eliminated.

The financial motivations for this are clear, and imo they are clearly backward choices to reduce the quality of the golf in order to generate more money. As someone who doesn't profit from the sport but is just a consumer, that sucks!

I think the tournament might be highly competitive. We will likely see some incredible shots--the course still promotes that. It just doesn't have the same challenges that DW had. Basically there was some luck involved in hitting some of the blind gaps on the DW course. That forced some really amazing scrambles. I don't know that this course will that. There will be scrambles, but there is the possibility of people playing 3 near flawless rounds and those that have a few hiccups--even with an amazing scramble play may not be able to get back in to the mix.

Idc what other people think, dogwood was a blast to watch. Totally my kind of course.

Agreed. I started watching some of the practice rounds at the new layout, quickly lost interest, and never made it to the end. Not sure I'll watch much of the coverage, either.

For me it is so much more interesting to see coverage of top pros playing wooded courses like Idlewild, Maple Hill, Iron Hill, Milo, Smuggler's Notch - Brewster Ridge, Dela, etc. Seeing those courses played well inspires me to play there, too (just not nearly as well).

In contrast, I find myself watching less and less pro coverage as big events have shifted towards big dumb hyzer-friendly bolf course style layouts. If that is your thing, enjoy! But I find those type of courses kinda boring. :\

Latest posts