• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 PIAS Jonesboro Open Apr 22-24

Considering her contract is identical to Kristin Tattar's, it seems reasonable to expect her to finish closer than 23 strokes behind Kristin.

I don't think it is negativity aimed toward Kona, but more a sense of unfairness at the contract sitiuation.

Wonder if Kristin and Kona have a bonus for beeing on the "live card"?
Kristin has been on the lead card basicly every round she´s played. . .isn´t that more "exposure" than social media

Fun to see Simon hold on for another round, but that first round "killed his chances" . . .bad hole 18 for Simon

Whoah, what a final round. Was kinda rooting for KJ after the throw in and couple long putts where you thought ok he's given up a stroke now. Only to be wasted on the drive on 18. But again, I feel its pointless to think "oh if he/she (any player) would just have done such and such on this and that hole" because every shot matters. Of course singling out the "unforced errors" is easy but what about the opposite of them (what would you call them, "low probability heroics"?) that balance them out?

But I was glad Calvin took it down. A McBeth win is something we've seen time and time again. But for Calvin to finally pull it off after being so close, and with authority, parking sudden death hole 1, that was a real treat. BTW, when was the last time there was a three way playoff (for any meaningful tourney)? That would have been awesome.

I kinda feel like Eagle needs to bite the bullet and go into surgery and come back for 2023. This clearly isnt working. I am not sure what his aversion to the scalpel is. Pro athletes get it done all the time and he should have the money to get a good surgeon.

edit. Oh and an even bigger throw in by Casey White on 17! 250 feet according to UDisc.

Last edited:
You right Flick.

The field is deep these days. Pretty much have to take risks to win. Somebody-or multiple players are likely to tear it up and being cautious won't get you the 2-3 extra strokes needed to be in it at the end.

Jones and PMB needed several miraculous saves or big hits to be there on 18.

Gannon had several unbelievable putts to be in the hunt until the end, but still needed a couple more miracles.

Impressed to Calvin pull it back together after some terrible drives.

Impressed to Calvin pull it back together after some terrible drives.

Totally. So common to see him vying for the win closing in on the finish line, only to have a something go sideways at seemingly the worst time, ripping any realistic chance at the W away from him.

Nice to see him sieze the moment by parking the playoff on hole 1. That had to feel so fulfilling for him.

If McBeth would simply play hole 5 for a par, he'd have won 2/4, and potentially 3/4 times here.

He could have saved a stroke on 18 in round 2.

I'm not talking about the situation of "I got a bogey but I could have played for par." I'm saying that statistically, it makes more sense for him (and probably the rest of the field) to plan ahead of time to play hole 5 for a par every round. Below are the averages for the top 20 finishers (including ties) in the past few years on that hole, and then McBeth's score. I also included a summary of what happened to him overall.

To summarize the below, McBeth has averaged 3.4 on that hole in the past 5 years, while the top 20 finishers each year have averaged a little over 3.1.

I also think hole 5 is far too early in the final round to play situational golf, so it shouldn't matter where he is at that point. Dickerson has said that he doesn't care about scores until around hole 14 of the final round. If Dickerson is anywhere close when he says that, hole 5 is too early. I could maybe see an argument for going for it if McBeth is down 4-5 strokes at that point (knowing he'll take any risk to win). But the final round is also where he's doing the worst on that hole (average of 3.8), so the small sample size below would indicate it's even more important to play this one for par on the final day. (Yes, I realize what happened yesterday was bad luck, but there's a lot more luck involved when a disc is coming into the green that fast. Bad luck happens more often when you're playing recklessly).

2022: lost in playoff, would have won by 4 strokes if he'd played for and earned par on hole 5 each round
R1: 3.21, 5
R2: 3.29, 4
R3: 2.96, 4

2021: 5th place, par on hole 5 would have dropped one stroke to 8th.
R1: 3, 2
R2: 3, 2
R3: 3, 4

2020: lost by a stroke, par on hole 5 would have sent him to a playoff
R1: 3.25, 2
R2: 3.1, 4
R3: 3.3, 4

2019: won by 3. would saved a stroke with pars on 5.
R1: 2.875, 4
R2: 3.29, 3
R3: 3.33, 3

2018: 13th place. pars would have saved a stroke, moving him to 12th.
R1: 3.1, 3
R2: 3.24, 3
R3: 3.05, 4

Apparently the mat of the teepad of #1 bunched up under Pauls plant foot, causing a way errant shot. Can see it clearly too. But who is to say would he have deuced it regardless.

So 2/2 on course equipment getting him on the last round :( But thats disc golf.

I still don't get it. But here is a hypothetical. If Kona were to in the next four years win 1 FPO Worlds and 1 USWDGC, and play like the beginning of this year in most every other big event, would that be enough for you guys??? JUst trying to gauge your mark.

Considering her contract is identical to Kristin Tattar's, it seems reasonable to expect her to finish closer than 23 strokes behind Kristin.

I don't think it is negativity aimed toward Kona, but more a sense of unfairness at the contract sitiuation.

Seriously? That's it??? What was Kona supposed to do, turn the offer down? Say, that's too much? Really?? People don't get that nearly every contract a player gets (in any sport) is based upon what you HAVE DONE (in the past), not what you are going to do in the future. That is a fact. Sure ownership *hopes* the performance continues, but they know upfront it might not.

There is a contention to be made that it is Kristin who is OUT-PERFORMING her contract and should make even more, not the other way around. No lower than third place in every event she's played? Hmmmm, I'd say Kristin is #1 imho based upon what I'm watching .

That being said, if a company (any company) expected a 945 player to "get paid and become 970-980," then they are fooling themselves. Personally I think Rusco is smarter than to expect that, but it sounds like what you guys are saying.

Podiums or some really cool videos on Youtube.

Here's a thought. What if the Dynamic Discs leadership is actually satisfied that what's out there on social media currently is good enough? I mean what if they are happy????

Totally. So common to see him vying for the win closing in on the finish line, only to have a something go sideways at seemingly the worst time, ripping any realistic chance at the W away from him.

Nice to see him sieze the moment by parking the playoff on hole 1. That had to feel so fulfilling for him.

I'm very glad he turned it around and made the shots at the end of the round. His drive on hole 18 was super clutch. And hole 1 of the playoff. This was great to see.

Apparently the mat of the teepad of #1 bunched up under Pauls plant foot, causing a way errant shot. Can see it clearly too. But who is to say would he have deuced it regardless.

So 2/2 on course equipment getting him on the last round :( But thats disc golf.

Are the Prodigy chains heavier than most? They seemed to push more than a few discs back out.

Are the Prodigy chains heavier than most? They seemed to push more than a few discs back out.

I didnt see any of that though. FWIW while the top of the line Discatchers will always be my favorite, the Prodigy basket IMO is the best and most consistently catching device. Glancing blows and high hits with low velocity are mostly not catched but IMO in a pretty uniform fashion. Not like on some other baskets, where sometimes the one outside chain hangs on perfectly, pulling a 50/50 hit at most in, and sometimes not.

Also I think I've yet to witness a straight on the pole bounceback spitout of the Prodigy baskets.

Anyone know what the cash line was? Sexton streak looks like it is in jeopardy, just as he inherited the title for longest active.

Also, it looks like Cat Allen has passed Val for longest active FPO streak as of the Champion's Cup.

I didnt see any of that though. FWIW while the top of the line Discatchers will always be my favorite, the Prodigy basket IMO is the best and most consistently catching device. Glancing blows and high hits with low velocity are mostly not catched but IMO in a pretty uniform fashion. Not like on some other baskets, where sometimes the one outside chain hangs on perfectly, pulling a 50/50 hit at most in, and sometimes not.

Also I think I've yet to witness a straight on the pole bounceback spitout of the Prodigy baskets.

I agree. I think the cross chains improve consistency.

Two suggested design improvements on 5 would be for the drop zone to be closer to the basket so there's a better chance some players can save a 3 with a long putt, and to add logs near the OB line on the low side of the basket to counter fluky roll-aways.

Is the drop zone needed? Seems like eliminating the drop zone in lieu of normal OB rules could entice players to go for the green more. I've never played there but it seems like they could remove the OB in the left woods as well. This may entice players to try pipe one down the middle more as well, as a kick left wouldn't automatically be OB anymore.

Not a big fan of Prodigy baskets. They seem to catch everything on the "am side" and reject everything on the "pro side". And you gotta putt super hard.

Is the drop zone needed? Seems like eliminating the drop zone in lieu of normal OB rules could entice players to go for the green more. I've never played there but it seems like they could remove the OB in the left woods as well. This may entice players to try pipe one down the middle more as well, as a kick left wouldn't automatically be OB anymore.
I think a creative way to do it on hole 5 would be to define all of the current OB areas on that hole as no penalty Relief Areas. However, player landing in one would have to play their next throw from a drop zone which would be the player's choice of the one that's already there or their previous lie. So, when driving, if the player lands R.A. they probably choose the marked DZ that's there and then are throwing their second shot. On any throw after their drive that lands R.A., they choose their current lie or the marked DZ whichever is closer or an easier shot to the green. This new approach uses loss of distance instead of immediate strokes as a means of penalizing, so players are more likely to go for the pin and not risk fluky stroke penalties but loss of position in case flukes occur.

They did remove the OB in the woods, at least according to the caddie book.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16yX78QO9TTuFxsVhoSXap7rYvXQiSLzz/view

I think a creative way to do it on hole 5 would be to define all of the current OB areas on that hole as no penalty Relief Areas. However, player landing in one would have to play their next throw from a drop zone which would be the player's choice of the one that's already there or their previous lie. So, when driving, if the player lands R.A. they probably choose the marked DZ that's there and then are throwing their second shot. On any throw after their drive that lands R.A., they choose their current lie or the marked DZ whichever is closer or an easier shot to the green. This new approach uses loss of distance instead of immediate strokes as a means of penalizing, so players are more likely to go for the pin and not risk fluky stroke penalties but loss of position in case flukes occur.

I agree this is close to ideal for the drive and approaches; I'm not sure it works as well once someone has crossed the OB/RA ditch and is putting. I think it works better than the current setup, as it gives a player a chance to recover from their shot. But I think it might not be ideal. Think about McBeth's shot yesterday or a long putt that rolls OB/RA.

That said, adding in logs like you suggested would minimize these situations as well. Logs wouldn't stop putts that are too high, but those would be adequately punished. They would be worse than putts that hit the cage and roll, and appropriately leave a harder putt for the player than one that rolls 20' and hits the logs.

Latest posts