• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Las Vegas Challenge Feb 24-27

Great way to start the new season.

While the courses are blah bolf courses, the competitors provided a tremendous event. Hats off to them.

What is Buhr doing with his arm after he throws a big forehand(chicken wing type motion)? Is that some type of preventative maintenance stretch?

Hated to watch either player not win at the end. Gannon Buhr is unbelievable but Drew Gibson may be the best thrower of the disc in the world right now. A great kick off to the season.

100%. Loved watching the kid handle the pressure seemingly so well, and several times fist bumped Drew late in the final round after great throws. Great display of sportsmanship. I think he got himself a few new fans this weekend. If only he would shorten his routine just a little...

Been rooting for Drew since a tourney last year (I forget which one) when he was lacing his Buzz through the woods and knocking down several big C2 and beyond putts. Really impressed with the overall improvement of his game, in all areas, and HE really handled the pressure well today as well. Add to that great all-around game one of the big 3 arms out there, and the future looks bright.

What an incredibly deep group of players this year. From 16 to 40+. It is conceivable that one of the 1050 boys could go winless this year...and still be in the 1050 group.

3 of 5 in top 5 plays for Prodigy. . not my guess before the tournament... Luke H top 5 !! he was 73rd last year

But i don´t think Prodigy had a single FPO player in the top 20. . .a few years back thier FPO team was super strong.

Last edited:
Drew winning just means that MICH homeboy Kyle's record for youngest to win DGPT event still stands.... For now.

That was a LOT of fun. It was VERY likely that I was going to turn off the final round early, because I am not interested in watching those courses. But Drew and Buhr gave me a compelling reason to keep watching. I definitely appreciate that it was a strategic golf play that most likely won the event right there (I use "likely" just because maybe Drew wins it there even if he went for the pin).

I definitely appreciate that it was a strategic golf play that most likely won the event right there (I use "likely" just because maybe Drew wins it there even if he went for the pin).

Agreed. Shrewd play by Gibson laying up in front of the OB golf green on what turned out to be the last playoff hole. That kind of an "everything to gain, nothing to lose" play.

The term that comes to mind is "situational awareness."

Agreed. Shrewd play by Gibson laying up in front of the OB golf green on what turned out to be the last playoff hole. That kind of an "everything to gain, nothing to lose" play.

It's what cost Paige.
Of course we don't know if she would have won the playoff or not if she had elected to go for the easy birdie like Cat did.
And on the other hand if she would have gotten an eagle on 18 like she did on 14 everyone would have been talking about how gutsy she is.

I turned off the stream with 2 holes left to play because I was sure Gannon had it. I also turned off the stream of last year's final round of worlds because for some reason I thought James went OB on his first shot and so had no chance to even put pressure on.:doh:

I turned off the stream with 2 holes left to play because I was sure Gannon had it. I also turned off the stream of last year's final round of worlds because for some reason I thought James went OB on his first shot and so had no chance to even put pressure on.:doh:

gibsons chain out on 14 or 15 was heartbreaking

i almost turned it off at that point cuz i was sure gannon had it on lock

It's what cost Paige.
Of course we don't know if she would have won the playoff or not if she had elected to go for the easy birdie like Cat did.
And on the other hand if she would have gotten an eagle on 18 like she did on 14 everyone would have been talking about how gutsy she is.
Right. Paige needs to look at the ratings and say "if we play the long game, I'm gonna win more often than not." She plays like she needs to "win now" as soon as the opportunity presents itself. In those situations - she should rely on being the better thrower and let the slow game play out.

It all added up to a compelling watch.

It was a bit of a circus set up on many holes. Talking about the bunkers 5 feet from the basket and massive hills that roll away great shots into OB. It's a bit of a random luck fest on some holes. For instance players playing to skip through bunkers and such.

Still an enjoyable event. I was just waiting for a random rollaway though to end it like the approach shot into hole 5, that would have been devastating to watch. Luckily that didn't happen.

After both the FPO and MPO finishes in last year's worlds, I will never say never again. :) I thought Drew might have a chance given Gannon's conservative play and not knowing how he would deal with the pressure--he did well, but Drew did great. Never know how anyone will respond in those final few holes. Pressure ramps up exponentially.

After both the FPO and MPO finishes in last year's worlds, I will never say never again. :) I thought Drew might have a chance given Gannon's conservative play and not knowing how he would deal with the pressure--he did well, but Drew did great. Never know how anyone will respond in those final few holes. Pressure ramps up exponentially.

Even the best throw shots that get away from them. Some of them may be due to pressure, but clearly not all, because it can happen early in an event as well.

Plus, there's always an element of random chance... like Buhr's 2nd shot on 18 going OB by less than the diameter of the disc. Literally a few inches shorter on a 300+ ft throw, and maybe the playoff never even happens.

On courses where plenty of distance, wind, elevation and OB are in play, a few strokes can change hands, seemingly in the blink of an eye.

IIRC, Kevin Jones was in position to win the Portland Open last year... until a series of wildly unfortunate rolls OB on #15 (could be wrong hole #) took him completely out of the running.

#chit happens

Last edited:

You would think I might have learned that lesson as well. But.... nope. thankfully it was still fun to go back and watch just how it all unfolded.

Even the best throw shots that get away from them. Some of them may be due to pressure, but clearly not all, because it can happen early in an event as well.

Plus, there's always an element of random chance... like Buhr's 2nd shot on 18 going OB by less than the diameter of the disc. Literally a few inches shorter on a 300+ ft throw, and maybe the playoff never even happens.

On courses where plenty of distance, wind, elevation and OB are in play, a few strokes can change hands, seemingly in the blink of an eye.

IIRC, Kevin Jones was in position to win the Portland Open last year... until a series of wildly unfortunate rolls OB on #15 (could be wrong hole #) took him completely out of the running.

#chit happens

If I recall, KJUSA was also in good position at World's last year until some bad luck on the island hole at Fort, #16.

Yep, no one can tell if that's nerves, just not throwing where he wanted, or mis-playing the hole--better to hit about 30' out and slide up the hill a bit.

But to be 3 strokes up with 4 holes to play in a 4 round DGPT event at 16 is wild. Drew probably went out celebrating Sunday night, maybe woke up MO before 3PM, maybe not. Gannon probably went to the RV/hotel room and caught up on his 10th grade algebra homework while his mom arranged campground reservations for the Memorial. :)