• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

27 Hole Monster or 2 18's

This is in fact all theoretical, right now. I'm not even sure what the park would even go for. The problem I see with the second 18 is a lack of play. We have 2 standard 18 hole Par 54 courses within 15 minutes of us and 5 more within 30 minutes. When anyone comes here they want to play the long course, no matter their skill level. For tournaments I was thinking 27 holes a day. 5-10 minute breaks at the end of each 9. The Par would be 108.

My initial thought was 2x18 -- that's the layout of my "home course" at Armco Park. Blue course is longer, white course is shorter, both are pretty tight and technical. I like having the option, especially since my DG time is rather limited.

Given what you've just said, though, I'm thinking that it might be better to go 27. I would try to make it so that people who want to play 18 can do it easily (if you can lay it out so that all three nines end close to the parking lot that would really be sweet).

Harmon Hills is our 27 monster and there is nothing else like it around here. Shorter and less wooded than the average Iron Hill hole, but a par 99 beast nonetheless. Great for tournaments !

This is in fact all theoretical, right now. I'm not even sure what the park would even go for. The problem I see with the second 18 is a lack of play. We have 2 standard 18 hole Par 54 courses within 15 minutes of us and 5 more within 30 minutes. When anyone comes here they want to play the long course, no matter their skill level. For tournaments I was thinking 27 holes a day. 5-10 minute breaks at the end of each 9. The Par would be 108.

Why not design a nice technical 18 that's specifically intended to have a combined moster 9 hole layout included? If you design it from the start so that consecutive holes can be played as one long hole then you have the option of 2 18s for casual play and a monster 27 hole layout if that's how you want to run an event.

Why not design a nice technical 18 that's specifically intended to have a combined moster 9 hole layout included? If you design it from the start so that consecutive holes can be played as one long hole then you have the option of 2 18s for casual play and a monster 27 hole layout if that's how you want to run an event.

You'd think this guy has played 700 courses or something.

27 hole monster. Be different, push the envelope, watch it bend.

Make it special and add the holes in loops in between existing holes, or make bypass trails which lead a player to skip some holes and just play 18.

Do you actually have two baskets per hole or just two locations? Install two permanent pins on each hole! With two tees and two permanent pins you can cover skill levels from red to white to blue to gold. Depending on the amount of clearing work (you say super technical so i imagine tight woods and hills) you could be further ahead with less volunteer labor effort to just buy another $350 basket per hole and install it. Not sure how much room you have between holes to fit that kind of thing in though.

Last edited:

Leigh Farm in Raleigh NC

the 27 hole rounds at paw paw took 8 hours the year we had to do it- probably the least enjoyable tournament format i have ever taken part in.

I want a 27 hole monster that destroys my ego and forces me to step my game up. Im sure if i wanted a pitch/putt/technical course there would be one nearby i can play when i want a break. I would love to seea huge monster course.

This is sarcasm right? a 7000' foot technical course is ANYTHING but a pitch/putt. Steady Ed at IDGC is 7400' and very challenging

There is no way I'd ever play a long, 27 hole course. As everyone as said, make it two courses.

How about both? Can the layouts be intergrated? @ Joralemon Park we were give the oportunity to expand a few years ago when we had to get out of a rare wildflower area and we lost 5 holes but gained access to an area of the park we wanted to be in from the beggining. Is this new area we added holes to bring the course to 28 holes total. We have an extra hole 12B to let a portion of the course be skipped and allows for a nice 18 hole loop. So we went from having an 18 hole course to having a 28 hole course and we have a 27 hole layout 1-27; a more open 18 hole layout J-West 1-12b, 22-27; and a more technical 18 hole layout J-East 4,5, 9-24.
8934e542.gif

Iron Hill is bat**** crazy as it is. I like the idea of 2 courses, especially if the "short" one can be 7000' on its own.

Honestly, I say you go opposite and install an beginner pitch and putt course. 100-200 ft holes.

Is there one of those courses in the area?

Those who have not played Iron Hill and are asking for 27 really have no idea what a beast Iron Hill already is.
I'd rather see 2 18 hole courses. Spread people out.
Tyler is getting ruined due to being overplayed by the masses. That's the problem with 27 holes everyone ends up on the same course beating and abusing the vegetation and course 2x as much as if it were 2 courses.
I also think an amazing a tier or NT could be held at Iron Hill if there were 2 courses. I mean 144 players shotgun start wow!

Unless I force players to use short or alt tees in league they never get used. Everyone who advocates short tees of equal caliber are not realistic about the reality that beginners will always play the long tees. I've seen people walk off courses in frustration when there were short tees available. This is why I think a second course is better use of resources than extra tees etc.

Unless I force players to use short or alt tees in league they never get used. Everyone who advocates short tees of equal caliber are not realistic about the reality that beginners will always play the long tees. I've seen people walk off courses in frustration when there were short tees available. This is why I think a second course is better use of resources than extra tees etc.

i disagree with this. in our area i would say that the short tees definitely receive more play at loriella, dorey, and bryan. loriella long in particular is a way better course than loriella short and the longs receive very little play.

A lot of it depends on the routing of the course. Most new players I've seen tend to walk to the most obvious tee, so if your short tees are easy to spot and are the shortest walks from the previous basket they'll see the most play. Experienced players are willing to do a little extra walking to get to long tees but you won't get beginners to walk extra to play from short tees.

A course designed from the long tees first where the long tees require no walkbacks or extra walks and the short tees were built after the longs will see all the traffic flow to the long tees.
I loved Loriella a few of the long tees were counter intuitive luckily I had a local guide.
I guess it depends on how a course is built or what tees are built first etc.
At iron hill it seems to be the cool thing to play all longs all the time even if you're a beginner

A course designed from the long tees first where the long tees require no walkbacks or extra walks and the short tees were built after the longs will see all the traffic flow to the long tees.
I loved Loriella a few of the long tees were counter intuitive luckily I had a local guide.
I guess it depends on how a course is built or what tees are built first etc.
At iron hill it seems to be the cool thing to play all longs all the time even if you're a beginner

I'll play short tees all day long as long as they're concrete. At Flip City, I play longs because the shorts are dirt/grass.