• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2nd mid mold--suggestions?

lxames

My first post here--I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts about set ups, discs, et al. and I'm hoping to get some good suggestions about my own bag. I've been playing for a year, and after initially buying discs with no knowledge of how they fly, I have pared my bag down to the following (all discs are max weight):

Putters:
Zero Pure hard x2--main putting putter
Soft APX--first disc I ever bought, can't seem to get rid of it; love it for up shots and short drives.
D Zone--you guys know why

Mids:
ESP Comet--along with the APX, my first disc. Love it.

Drivers:
Star Teebird
ESP Crank--I can throw it, especially forehand
Champ Valkyrie--main distance driver, not ready to throw super fast discs yet.
MVP neutron Inertia--disc just goes, especially for my not crazy strong arm.

So my thought is that I need a second mid. Probably something overstable. I was thinking a Z Buzz, but will that have enough fade, or is it too close to the Comet?

Btw my distance drivers go up to 375, comet up to 250-ish, APX around 200, and I throw RHBH and RHFH equally.

Thoughts?

The Roc is the Comet's brother from another mother, however, the Icon Ghost is gonna be the most similar with being overstable. Star Rocs are hit or miss, but Icon Ghosts are pretty money every time.

Z Buzzz and Comet don't even live in the same neighborhood when it comes to stability.
Comet is a finess disc that is understable when thrown with power.
Buzzz is a slightly to moderately overstable disc.

If you are looking for options in the Stable to overstable range there is a huge selection available to you. But you have to decide what you like most about the molds.
Bead? No Bead? Domey? Flat?

The Roc (I prefer KC Pro) has a rim that is very similar in feel to the Comet. Roc starts overstable and can beat into a stable to understable flight.

If you like base plastic, try a x buzzz and dx roc. If you like champ/z get a z buzzz and champ roc3

Some interesting thoughts here. I've heard great things about Legacy discs, so I'm thinking of giving the Ghost a try, but I also feel like I ought to try a Buzzz and a Roc, considering how tried and true both are. Maybe I should give in and try all three...

So I picked up a KC Pro Roc (180), a max wt. z Buzzz, and a max wt. z Wasp. I love the Buzzz and Wasp, but am having trouble achieving the overstable flight of the Roc. It keeps fluttering and turning over. It may be form, or a bummer disc--I've heard Rocs can be inconsistent. I'm going to keep throwing them before making a bag decision, but so far it's looking like I'll be throwing DC mids.

All of my drivers are Innova or Millennium and all of my mids are Discraft. I didn't try to do this, it's just how it worked out for me. I love my DC mids (Comet, X Buzzz, Z Buzzz, Ti Wasp and Cryztal Drone).

I bag a comet, a flx buzzz, an ss z buzzz, a max weight z buzzz, gl mace, and recycled mace. I suggest picking up a buzzz and a mace. You might like them.

Get a Drone. My Cryztal FLX Drone is a great FH mid/approach, and a beefy BH mid. If you don't want something so overstable, go with the DGA SP Breaker.

A more OS mid like a Gator or even a Harp might be good. Also the Cro is a great mid that is often overlooked. It's like a mini Buzzz with less glide.

I love the Z buzzz and it's the one of the only discs that hasn't been rotated in and out of the bag the last couple years. The newer runs don't have as sharp of an edge as a couple years ago but are still reliable.

Something more OS like a Gator or Drone wouldn't go amiss in that slot. They are both pretty good FH discs too...

Hahaha so guess I read this post before and thought the same thing.

I'm a big fan of having a beefy mid in the bag, so I'd recommend a Millennium Sentinel. I like the quantum plastic myself, but their base plastic is pretty awesome as well. Decent straight flight with a hard snap, followed by a meaty fade. Probably the most accurate disc that I carry.

If you like the Comet, get a Wasp to complement it. Feels similar in the hand and is much more OS.

My mid lineup is Buzzz, Wasp, Drone.

So I picked up a KC Pro Roc (180), a max wt. z Buzzz, and a max wt. z Wasp. I love the Buzzz and Wasp, but am having trouble achieving the overstable flight of the Roc. It keeps fluttering and turning over. It may be form, or a bummer disc--I've heard Rocs can be inconsistent. I'm going to keep throwing them before making a bag decision, but so far it's looking like I'll be throwing DC mids.

I had the same issue with Rocs. It's form, and it's worth taking the time to fix it, even if (like me) you go back to the DC mids anyway.

Nothing works like a a couple Roc-only rounds to clean up issues with your form. And it helps beat th Roc in pretty quickly too. Which means you'll be needing a newer OS Roc.

I also feel like the comet was meant to pair with a roc(wasp,ghost,ect) the buzz is awesome and I carried them for years but dont currently. FWIW I have been throwing a QMS-roc combo for at least 2 yrs with a gator making cameo apperances

Latest posts