• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] 3 Discs you seem to Click with the most + Why

Firebird because you always know what it's going to do.

Roc because it's a classic and comes in so many variations.

Aviar for the same reasons as the Roc.

This past August I declared "bankruptcy" for my disc golf bag. I thought it might be a good idea to go back to the three discs in the Innova Starter Pack but in variable plastics. Dave Dunipace actually did a good job in picking those discs I discovered. While the three are somewhat boring discs, they consistently get they job done in understated fashion.
The Aviar: I was hyzering Shields before which worked on some days, others days not. The Aviar has taught me to putt straight at the chains and has improved my distance and consistency.
The Shark: Avoided this disc for years because it was a beginner's disc. Now I see its usefulness. The GStar I have is as stable as a new Roc and makes a good approach disc. The DX is straight and good for drives up to 250'. Also at speed 4 I feel I have good control.
The Leopard: Disliked at first it forced me to learn how to throw work out how to get it to 300+ feet consistently. Now covers all shots straight to turn-right. Nonetheless, the DX has always been too flippy.

1. Stalker: It is a perfect straight flying fairway driver with the right amount of stability. I can throw the Stalker FH or BH with total precision, especially in the woods. I love cranking on the with a FH and a lot of hyzer and just watch it bomb laser straight.

2. Wraith: I've always had a hard time with high speed drivers. The Wraith is the fastest disc I like to go while being to keep a lot of control. The rim fits my hand comfortably and the stable flight is very reliable. I keep 3 in my bag (Star 175g, Champion 166g and Blizzard 160g).

3. Comet: Took me a long time to find a disc like this. I could never properly hyzer flip a Buzzz as much as I wanted it to be a straight flyer. The Comet has allowed me to have a BH hyzer flip disc I can count on and also to have a big BH anhyzer as well. Disc golf really became fun again when I discovered the Comet at a time when I was getting very frustrated.

I could go on about others but these 3 molds have really been special.

Gotta give props to my core:

Saint - My workhorse disc. Throw this in all but windiest conditions. That slot has yet to be determined(Saint Pro, Sampo, Thunderbird, Avenger).

River - My most fun disc to throw. Park jobs and ace runs is thy name.

Warship - My favorite mid: can take power (mine at least), and fly any old way I want it to, on a good day that is.

I'll keep it short and sweet

Wizards, I can throw any putter line with mine. They've been in the bag so long that throwing them is second nature.

Firebird, they're they are the definition of reliable. It's my favorite utility driver for backhands, forehands, overhands, skips, ect.

TeeBirds, because they're TeeBirds. This fairway driver is easy to control, they've got great glide, and I can throw them nearly as far as most of my distance divers.

Mako- Only disc I can throw forehand and backhand that goes extremely straight and I can throw it for a lot of shots because of its glide

Gator-Does everything I want it to, feels great in my hand, doesn't fail me very often (out of the bag for the A1 right now, but it will most likely come back)

Spark-Exactly like the gator, but more speed. Right when it hits the ground it stops, great for placement shots that you need to hyzer and not skip (currently out of the bag while I try some other things, but I know it will come back)

There are several ways to think about the answer to this question. It seems to me that consciously or subconsciously I tend to purchase extra copies of certain type of discs. So the ones that I have the most copies are as follows:

Buzzz (I have like a box and a half)
Wraith (10 or more) (I also have a few Rogues and Surges which seem to me to be close variations of a Wraith)

Tied are either of the following which I have four or more of each: Sidewinder, Beast, Judge, Aviar, Reaper, Katana, Wizard or Destroyer. I don't know why I have so many destroyers since I rarely throw them.

1: WS Hatchet - This disc is amazing. I can throw it far and accurate and the better I get the further it goes!

2: MVP Atom - I've tried several putters and the from the very first throw I knew the Atom was it for a while. It fits in my hand perfectly, goes where I throw it, and I know that if I miss a putt it is all my error.

3: Discmania MD3 - Replaced my Roc3. I use this disc for everything; drives, approaches, getting out of trouble. It is incredible and I love the g-line plastic vs any Discraft plastic.

Wizard - what can I say about the wizard that hasn't already been said? Throw it flat, it goes straight. Throw it with hyzer, it rides a hyzer. Throw it with anny, it rides an anny. And the glide on these, especially when best in, is incredible. My favorite blend bounces between super glow and fossil.

Z Wasp- I love my z wasp; I would be lost without it! From straight to hyzer, spike hyzer, annies that pan out, the z wasp can do it all, with stability and a surprising amount of glide. I'll throw mine on any hole under 380 ft.

Star Destroyer- the very moment I first threw a star destroyer, I knew it was something special. It flies at the perfect speed to remain accurate at huge distances, has an immense amount of glide, and enough fade at the end to keep it consistent. I bag four destroyers in different stages of wear and will throw them when I need accuracy and distance.

After a year of lurking, I've finally made my first post :D

Saint
My primary forehand disc. Great glide and penetrating shots

River
Thing flies on a rope. When I play a new course this disc is my go to selection on drives.
Theif
Workhorse! Fh/bh whatever is needed the theif provides

3 discs i picked up and instantly understood, felt great and i love.

Teebird, nova, thunderbird.

Everything i throw i had to adjust too from a similar but not quite the same feeling and flying.I started with a shark and went to a roc. I started with a mako and went to a atlas. I threw wraiths and went to destroyers. Firebirds took alot of adjustment to get comfortable with.

Teebird and nova just felt natural. And the thunderbird feels great and flies just like a longer teebird.

Yeti Pro Aviar- My favorite short range driver. Quite beat but will still hold a straight or hyzer line if thrown nice and smooth.

SS Warlock- First ever putter was an Aviar P&A and found out quickly it was my favorite shape and stability of putter. Found Gateway's superior base plastic and have been hooked since.

Z Wasp- Perfect OS mid in my opinion. Zero turn with healthy fade. Good distance for a disc of its speed and stability.

Resistor-Always FAF, always beef, OH, FH, hyzer, roller, thumber, you name it.

Envy-kicked my mids out of the bag. Stupid long for a putter and will never, ever, turn over. Can manipulate it from dead straight to stupid OS hyzers.

Ion-because I really, really like banging chains.

Discs I click with is different than favorite. My favorite discs are zephyrs, comets and ions, but none of those are in my bag.

The discs I click with the most are
PD
Truth
FD

The pd is just predictable, long and reliable. It really matches my game and form well. Its a great driver for me forehand and backhanf.

The truth seems to work for me. I was a buzzz/comet thrower for a long time, but found myself not knowing which to throw too often. In my search for a stable buzzz compliment I found the verdict and love it. The verdict is my stablenmid, replaces my stable buzzz while the truth replaced my broken in buzzz and my comets.

The FD is just a point and shoot disc similar to a comet it will go where you throw it as long as you are smooth.

Probably have to go with
Eagle-"X"
Truth
Rhyno.

When I try a new course, I usually only carry 3 -4 discs in hand and those are always the ones.

I have basically built my bag around these three:

Innova Roc - It was love at first throw and I love to cycle discs so this is perfect.
Discmania FD - This disc is so straight and can cover a variety of distances with good control.
Discmania PD - Reliable in the wind and easy to control.

hard to ween it down to three.

rhyno- reliable/easy to range/comes in a great variety of plastics

FD-a true workhorse fairway/very controllable

PD-reliable straight to fade flight/wind isn't much of a factor

Envy. Best driving putter ever made. Comfortable grip, almost impossible to have a bad release with how it fits my hand.

GL Pure. Picked it up as a test for an all Trilogy bag because I needed a putter. First throw, WOW. So straight for a driving putter. This is close to the Envy, but its susceptibility to wind makes it less versatile.

Stalker. Such a great fairway. Almost as long as my faster drivers for me. This disc is so workable. I can throw it on just about any angle and it holds the line. Also it's pretty decent in the wind.

Honorable mentions: Crave. Similar lines to the Stalker with a smaller diameter and more wind resistance. Honestly I throw my Craves more lately due to Texas winds. Inertia. I have gotten more distance out of it than any other disc. Not an every throw disc, but when I need it, it's invaluable.

Latest posts