• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 finger grip

How many fingers for your Big Dog(driver)

• Total voters
A friend showed me his 3 finger grip and said he used it because the 4 finger grip didnt fit his hand as well. So I tried it and realized how much better the 3 finger grip was, have been using it for a few years now and its been working great. If I need a touch shot, I will use a fan grip

I use 3 for anything Teebird distance and up. Gives me good snap, and it's how I've thrown since I started. Anything midrange and below I use 5.

I use the Climo fork grip on my p&a and midrange discs. On fairway drivers, I drop the pinkie, and on wide-rimmed drivers like a Boss I will drop the ring finger as well. Part of this is for comfort of grip, but I also feel I can generate more release speed with fewer fingers on the disc, and that's a premium when throwing fast drivers. In my experience, I feel most accurate when the grip is comfortable.

Fan grip for < fairway drivers. 3 for fairway drivers. 2 for high speed. It's what feels good. If it feels good, do it

I use all 4 fingers, but I stack my ring finger on top of my pinkie (4 fingers/3 points of pressure on the rim). Good combination of control and distance. For mids/putters (not putting), I put the middle finger out on the flight plate

I use three because I have tiny little girlie hands. Four tends to make my pinky stretch and pull the edge of my hand with it, making my grip none-to-accurate on my release. Causing me to OAT easier.

Did a search ,didnt find a 3 finger thread so here we go (plus a poll)

All you 3 finger guys and girls let me know how you got started .

Not sure when i started because i didnt know i was doing it , im guessing for years .:confused:

I mainly started with three because I had trouble releasing the disc flat with my pinkie on there. I dropped to three and I started getting the nose down. Lately I've been throwing in the dirt, so I may try four again. I think if you can get all four on it cleanly your better off.

Anyone have an illustration of the 3 finger grip they are talking about? The one on Innova's site...
http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-tips/daves-grip-tips.html

...does not appear to be the same as you guys are talking about. Are you all talking about tucking your pointer, middle, and ring finger on the rim and the just leaving your pinkie finger completely off the disc?

same as the 4 finger power grip, just leave off the pinky finger, the one on the innova site looks like more of an accuracy type grip for mids or putters

Looking at the poll results, I am shocked at how many people use 2 and 3 finger grips when the 'convential wisdom' says that 4 finger grip is ideal for maximum distance. I never even knew people used a tucked pinkie, I had never seen one until I opened this thread.

That tells me that I better get out in the field soon and try it. I am basically 30 ft. per disc away from being comfortable with my distance for course use, and therefore being able to shift 100% of my practice focus onto putting. If I can get a little extra snap, perhaps that could be the ticket.

A few of the Discraft guys in this video use a 2 finger grip, including Robbie Bratten. I have seen him throw in person and he is certainly not lacking the distance department.

I throw power grip for all backhand shots until I get within comfortable putt/approach range, when I extend my pointer finger on the rim for more control.

On occasion, I will drop the pinky and use 3-finger grip for distance drives, and sometimes this actually happens during my run-up, haha.

On flicks I use one finger inside the rim, very controllable range and release angle this way. Not ideal for huge distance though, as I only flick about 200' and in.

My four year old calls his shots by the number of fingers.

"fourhand" is four fingers
"Fivehand" is using all of them!

And yes, he's using a forehand technique which is where of course he learned how you name them!

He'll try a "tenhand" sometimes, but then again he calls his rollers ...well... "rollers"

Anyone have an illustration of the 3 finger grip they are talking about? The one on Innova's site...
http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-tips/daves-grip-tips.html

...does not appear to be the same as you guys are talking about. Are you all talking about tucking your pointer, middle, and ring finger on the rim and the just leaving your pinkie finger completely off the disc?

Here's what I'm talking about (it's uploading but should work shortly):

http://youtu.be/oTOtlnyoKWU

I used a 3 finger geip for drives for the first 2 years I started playing. Peaked at about 315' with little accuracy. Couldn't generate much snap with only 3 fingers. Switched to 4 fingers with all 4 digits tucked tightly into the rim and started hitting 350' with much better accuracy wihtin a month, and I developed a very loud "snap" on the hit. Have since relaxed my index finger so only the last joint touches the rim. This modification eliminated grip-lock and allowed for a much smoother release while still transfering power into the throw. Bumped the golf-d up to 400'.

I have just always used 3 fingers. I didn't even know that people used 4 fingers until recently. I have plenty of distance with my drives, so haven't even felt the desire to try a 4 finger after all these years.

I have just always used 3 fingers. I didn't even know that people used 4 fingers until recently. I have plenty of distance with my drives, so haven't even felt the desire to try a 4 finger after all these years.

So, I played 2 rounds last friday and used 4 finger grip. I cant believe i hadn't tried it before. I felt like i had significantly less OAT. I think with my pinky on it kept my wrist from rolling over as easily. I used it on my Distance drivers, Fairway Drivers, Mid range (Roc), but not on my putters (even when driving with them)

It just feels right. And after this many years of doing it one way, to all of a sudden change and be completely comfortable and happy is fantastic!!!

Latest posts