• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 fingers or 4?

DON'T use 3 fingers because some old guy threw 350ft and told you to try it!!!!!!

Stick with the 4 finger power grip and then I would suggest learning an "accuracy" grip like a fork or fan grip. I use my "accuracy" grip on anything up to 400ft and it works much better for mids since you have more flightplate control than with a normal power-grip.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

Last edited:
I'd love to see what a DGCR consultant has to say about the differences between the two and any scientific reasoning as to why one should be used over the other for a given situation.

All the top 10 players in the World use the SAME grip.........

I don't really notice a difference in how far or how accurately I throw with 3 vs 4 fingers. I use 3 only because it feels more comfortable.

Same here. Tried both and not alot of difference.

I started out 3 finger, but now it just feels weird. I even used to 3 finger mid range discs...but then I started power gripping those too. I do have a friend though who's been playing 7 years or something like that...he started really young. He really well backhand and only does 3 finger.

i couldn't get used to the 4 finger grip so i tried the fork grip. It works a lot bett for me. especially for midranges.

Its hard to do a 4 finger grip on fiarway drivers for me. something about the narrow rim mixed with long fingers just doesn't feel right.

All the top 10 players in the World use the SAME grip.........

I often wonder if they use it because it's so good or if they use it because they're so good.

In other words, is it using that grip that is making them so good or is their outstanding ability opening up doors with that grip that are closed to others.

Could it be possible that this "top ten" grip is an advanced technique that mere amateurs won't get the same advantage from, in the same way that we won't get much advantage from certain kinds of discs? For example, it occurs to me that the top pros all have super-huge bomber arms that have no need for distance-enhancing grips. They could probably throw a driver 400' flat-footed with whatever grip they like, so with no need for distance-enhancing grips, they all choose a more control-oriented grip.

The fork grip gets the nose down, at least when the disc is sitting in your hand. Switch between the fork and power grips and it's pretty obvious. The longest throw I've ever had was with the fork grip. Now, if I could just figure out how to do that regularly...

The fork grip definitely gives me a lot of extra control and I believe adds some good snap to my throw. Just recently switched to try something different and it seems to help me with my griplock and early releases pretty well.

I often wonder if they use it because it's so good or if they use it because they're so good.

In other words, is it using that grip that is making them so good or is their outstanding ability opening up doors with that grip that are closed to others.

Could it be possible that this "top ten" grip is an advanced technique that mere amateurs won't get the same advantage from, in the same way that we won't get much advantage from certain kinds of discs? For example, it occurs to me that the top pros all have super-huge bomber arms that have no need for distance-enhancing grips. They could probably throw a driver 400' flat-footed with whatever grip they like, so with no need for distance-enhancing grips, they all choose a more control-oriented grip.

It isn't like the grip is magical or anything.......a lot of players use it ranging from Rec players up to Pros. They use a 4 finger power grip along with a modified stack/fork grip.

Latest posts