• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

30 courses, 10 states, 10 days

Greg Layton

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I'm starting off on my disc golf roadtrip two weeks from today. Spending a relaxing Labor Day weekend back home in Kansas and then taking the long way home and playing a bunch of courses. Here's what my itinerary looks like:

Friday 8/29:
Glenwood Park - Parsons, KS

Saturday 8/30:
Herman Hill - Wichita, KS

Monday 9/1:
Carey Park - Hutchinson, KS
Great Bend DGC - Great Bend, KS

Tuesday 9/2:
Garden City DGC - Garden City, KS
Willow Creek Park - Lamar, CO
Pueblo City Park - Pueblo, CO
David Lorenz Park - Littleton, CO

Wednesday 9/3:
Badlands DGC - Federal Heights, CO
Ghost Town DGC - Russell Gulch, CO
The Wright Life, Ft. Collins
Edora Park - Ft. Collins, CO

Thursday 9/4:
Dry Creek Parkway - Cheyenne, CO
Fort Robinson State Park - Crawford, NE
Jackson Park DGC - Rapid City, SD
Omaha Park DGC - Rapid City, SD

Friday 9/5:
Powerhouse Alley - Pierre, SD
Lake Louise Rec. Area - Miller, SD
Richmond Lake Rec. Area - Aberdeen, SD
Hartford Beach DGC - Corona, SD

Saturday 9/6:
Oak Grove Park - Fargo, ND
Staring Lake Park - Minneapolis, MN
Bassett Creek Park - Minneapolis, MN

Sunday 9/7:
Gateway Hills Park - Ames, IA
Walnut Ridge - Des Moines, IA
Grandview Park - Des Moines, IA
Sugar Park - North Liberty, IA

Monday 9/8:
Kiwanis Park - Galesburg, IL
McNaughton Park - Pekin, IL
Washington Park - Washington, IL
Madeline Bertrand Park - Niles, MI

Are there any courses along my route that should be replaced, especially in Denver and Minneapolis? I don't necessarily want to play hard courses since I'll be playing 3-4 courses a day but I also don't want to play anything that's a waste of my time.

I've never attempted a road trip like this so I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions you might have. If anyone out there would like to play their home course with me I'd sure appreciate playing with a guide as I'll likely never play most of these courses again and would like to have a good first/last impression. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Found a typo... Cheyenne is obviously in Wyoming, not Colorado.

denver area...

i've played a few times in denver and i'm forwarning you, don't overextend yourself...those courses are at high elevation, some on terrain that isn't the easiest to traverse, but they are all beautiful and well worth the drive. I'm gonna suggest one to you that's in a town just west of Denver called Arvada. [url]http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=581 johnny roberts DGC...[/URL]it's not strenuous, it's, well it was, in a lush, green park...and the creek running through the whole thing can be very refreshing. Good luck man, i hope 4 courses a day, plus 200+ miles of driving doesn't kill you. And remember, whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

have fun and travel safe

Last edited:
A few thoughts from someone who grew up in Denver, lived for 10 years in Minnesota, and played most of the upper Midwest...

1) On 9/2, I'd substitute Expo Park in Aurora for Lorenz Park. Lorenz is just not satisfying to play; you'll expend more energy hunting for discs in the thick brush than you will on the slightly longer (but more enjoyable) Expo. Neither is painful, but Expo just makes more sense. It's also closer to the other Denver stops you're making. Oh, and if you want to tack on a 9 that will take about 20 minutes, hit Ken Caryl DGC.

2) I'm concerned about your agenda on 9/3. Badlands and Ghost Town would be a full day for anyone (and this coming from a guy who's done 63 holes in 3 states in a day). Be careful with Ghost Town; the owner requires specific tee times, and will walk you through a bunch of rules for the round that make it take longer than you'd think. Don't get me wrong, it is a truly unforgettable course, and I HIGHLY recommend it, but be aware that two more courses after the crazy and far-away Ghost Town is pretty unrealistic.

3) From Fargo to Minneapolis, you could tack on a cute, easy 12 in Alexandria, MN called Fillmore Park. And as for your choices in the Twin Cities, most locals would scoff at Staring and Bassett Creek as not representative of the quality of the area, which is kinda true, but I understand your approach and think they're fine. Other enjoyable and quick courses that I'd put above them, however, include the 12-hole Plymouth Creek and Highland Park (9) in St. Paul. This is just the tip of the iceberg in the Twin Cities, though. SO many to choose from, it's hard to pick a handful.

4) At the end of your day in the Cities, you can add another state -- Wisconsin -- by popping over to Willow River State Park right across the border in Hudson. It's a fun 13-hole course, but it costs $10 to get into the park.

5) On the way down I-35, you could very easily tack on two more 9s, right off the highway, in Story City (exit 124) and Coulter (Firebird DGC). Your Des Moines choices are good; you're avoiding the super-exhausting kings of the area (Pickard, Ewing, and Big Creek). Sugar Bottom is a great one in North Liberty.

6) If you're driving through the Quad Cities (Bettendorf, IA, etc.), I'd highly recommend playing one of these two very satisfying/enjoyable 18s: Middle Park in Bettendorf, IA or Longview Park in Rock Island, IL.

I'll cut myself off now. Have a great time! Let me know what your final courses-played list turns out to be.

Coming from the guy on the biggest road trip ever..

-I'd skip Dry Creek Parkway..long, hilly, boring and lots of homeless/drug addicts roaming around when I was there. BTW back 10? is across the street, and #9 is way down past #8's basket.

- If you can go another 20 miles south of Des Moines, Pickard in Indianola is one of the BEST courses on Earth. Long and sorta tough though.

-Madeline Bertrand is a must play and surprisingly many people from other parts of MI haven't even heard of it.

-There are some decent easy courses around Wichita, KS

-Expo in Denver is short, open and easy but can be fun in high wind.

Enjoy, be safe, be prepared!

Blog on www.discgolfersr.us and 100's will read about it, possibly help you out, show you around on the way.

I'm not sure Ft. Robinson even exists. I called them and they said they didn't know anything about it. I also think I remember reading once the same thing on a Nebraska Disc website. I thought I heard (I could be way off too) that The ft. Robinson course is now in Chadron State park and that when Ft. Robinson was around it was at best a 1 and 1/2 star (The same goes for Chadron and Chadron SP) You might want to consider the unlisted Scottsbluff course (band new 9 hole 2&1/2-3 stars) or Torrington WY. Also I don't have to commute to Laramie on 9/4 if you PM me for my number I would be happy to guide you through Dry Creek, you could easily bag one of the other Cheyenne courses too Mylar is really quick about 35min to play.

Kiwanis Park - Galesburg, IL

First off, I have not played this course, but I lived there half of my life. I can tell you right now, if they did put a disc golf course in Kiwanis Park, it won't be worth the stop, unless you just don't care how simple it is. That park is like an open field. It isn't even that big. It has to be an ace run type course with no obstacles. Anyway, don't expect scenery, cool holes, or a challenge of any kind. Although, I think it is really cool Galesburg finally got a course period.

I hope you have a great trip bro! "Envious as Hell!"

-Madeline Bertrand is a must play and surprisingly many people from other parts of MI haven't even heard of it.

I would agree with that so long as it isn't a weekend or a holiday. Otherwise that place is swarming with people. Since you have it on a Monday you should be good.

You could substitute one or two of the IL courses on 9/8 and play Rum Village in South Bend, IN which is only 10 miles or so from Madeline Bertrand and add another state. Same goes for George Wilson in Mishawaka, IN.

That itinerary looks brutal.

-Dave

I would avoid any courses on the illnois side of the quad cities as they are being repaired after a 90mph sheer wind came through here about a month ago and tore apart some of our courses. I would suggest Camden 2 but it is unplayable but is a very nice course(or will be by spring of next year with all the damage) Have fun. I don't believe my wife would allow this kind of trip so i am truly jealous.

I'm going through here taking a look at the comments.

-I'd skip Dry Creek Parkway..long, hilly, boring and lots of homeless/drug addicts roaming around when I was there. BTW back 10? is across the street, and #9 is way down past #8's basket.

The description/reviews don't sound great, but it seems to be the only course worth playing in the area. The two courses in Laramie look flat out terrible. It looks like I might need to recalculate my plans for Thursday anyway especially if Fort Robinson doesn't exist. I'll have to put somemore thought into it this weekend.

I'm gonna suggest one to you that's in a town just west of Denver called Arvada. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=581 johnny roberts DGC

I'm concerned about your agenda on 9/3. Badlands and Ghost Town would be a full day for anyone (and this coming from a guy who's done 63 holes in 3 states in a day). Be careful with Ghost Town; the owner requires specific tee times, and will walk you through a bunch of rules for the round that make it take longer than you'd think. Don't get me wrong, it is a truly unforgettable course, and I HIGHLY recommend it, but be aware that two more courses after the crazy and far-away Ghost Town is pretty unrealistic.

I'm going to remove Ghost Town and replace it with Johnny Roberts. As unique and fun as Ghost Town sounds it would probably be best to come back another time when I can afford to take my time... maybe I'll fly out to Denver next summer for a long weekend and check it out with my wife.

Oh, and The Wright Life is a disc store that's next to Edora, so I'll only be playing three courses that day.

1) On 9/2, I'd substitute Expo Park in Aurora for Lorenz Park. Lorenz is just not satisfying to play; you'll expend more energy hunting for discs in the thick brush than you will on the slightly longer (but more enjoyable) Expo. Neither is painful, but Expo just makes more sense. It's also closer to the other Denver stops you're making.

Sounds good to me. I'll replace Lorenz with Expo.

In other news, one of the folks that I work with lives in Cedar Rapids and used to play disc golf so he wants me to come play there. So that means I need to pick a course in Cedar Rapids and re-configure the last couple of days of my trip. I'll definitely drop Kiwanis and see if I can work in Pickard somehow. Thanks to Donovan and Innovadude.

I've got to get back to work now but I'll work on this somemore on Saturday. Please continue with the comments, they are a huge help.

i hate you because i want to be you! take pictures man, post 'em...i'd love to see the SD courses... god i'm so jealous...

oh yeah, and why are you spending so much time in Kansas? that's a state i usually drive through as fast as possible!

I have been following this guts road trip odyssey for the past few weeks, maybe it can help you...
http://www.onegranddiscgolftour.com/

...also, too bad you aren't farther north in Michigan. FlipCity in Shelby is a MUST finish course for this type of trip.

I actually live in Grand Rapids. I made my first trip to Flip City a coupe of weeks ago... it's spectacular.