• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

375ft to win a World Championship?

DiscinFiend

* Ace Member *
So I read that Ken Climo once said that if a person can throw 375ft they can win a World Championship. I feel that it may be possible but would be very hard considering all the huge distance throwers nowadays. A person only throwing 375ft on 500ft+ holes would have a huge disadvantage & their lack of distance would cost them strokes. Thoughts?

Didn't he also say he expects to make 50% of his putts from 30'?

He's just messing with us.

Depends on how accurate the 500ft throwers are. I'd take a controlled and accurate 375ft over semi accurate 500ft.

Sure, but the thing is to have pinpoint accuracy at 375' means you have the ability to throw significantly farther. Nobody is controlled and accurate every time at their max distance.

If I could throw 375' with perfect accuracy down a 15'-wide tunnel, or on a similar fairway turning right, or left, or going up/downhill, or basically for every shot off the tee, I'd take it every time over a 500' throw in the wide open, and I'd be a World Champ.

Unless you're playing a course that is all wide open and long bombs, I'd rather throw the 375' accurate shot for every tee shot. Putt like a boss. Cash my checks. Stamp my name on the Buzzz, and putt with it -- go all Iron Man for every tourney, just a Buzzz, 375', and putting with it. #dominate

Even on a wide-open 500' hole---which, hopefully, isn't too common at Worlds---the 500' thrower would have to be not just long, but accurate. If he's 40' left or right, he'll gain a stroke only on the times he makes that putt. Otherwise, the 375' thrower will have an easy approach and drop-in, and both will get a 3.

It's more like the 425' holes where he'll have an advantage.

So I read that Ken Climo once said that if a person can throw 375ft they can win a World Championship. I feel that it may be possible but would be very hard considering all the huge distance throwers nowadays. A person only throwing 375ft on 500ft+ holes would have a huge disadvantage & their lack of distance would cost them strokes. Thoughts?

Ken Climo once said..... When did he say that?

Maybe we should discuss this in the time context of the statement...

Absolutely.

I would venture to say that nobody is pinpoint accurate to 375. Not even Paul McBeth, and he'd probably admit it. Wait a second...he was pinpoint to 375 once this year, and he had the highest rated round ever. Same with MJ at Bradford.

not true if no source provided

let me just make this point.....the number of you who can actually throw 375 is greatly exaggerated.

A test would be to go to a football field and throw from goalpost over the field and through the other goalpost.....I doubt many can even remotely throw that far and then let alone make that shot more than 1 out of 5 times

let me just make this point.....the number of you who can actually throw 375 is greatly exaggerated.

A test would be to go to a football field and throw from goalpost over the field and through the other goalpost.....I doubt many can even remotely throw that far and then let alone make that shot more than 1 out of 5 times

I'm also not a 1000 + rated player and not ever going to contend for a World Championship so kind of a moot point don't ya think?

I'm sure Paul McBeth, Will S, etc can with ease and the question really is in this day and age can someone without 500 + foot power contend for a WC. I say hell no considering that there are so many great players nowadays that there is no way that statement is accurate!

It's not just throwing 500, it's also being able to throw putters 350+.

Perhaps, but it's also silly to act like nobody but the top pros throw that far. I've seen plenty of intermediate and advanced level players who can easily throw that distance and who just don't have the control and short game to compete at the top.

Hmmm. Well I suppose I could then. I believe it but you also have to be extremely confident and be able to take the pressure. Very good putter and great at approach shots.