• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

50-200' Low Ceiling Sharp Corner Approaches

slowplastic

* Ace Member *
This is such a common situation on the course, the basket is tucked in some trees and you have to throw a hyzer/right to left (RHBH) to get around guardian trees...and the branches give you a low ceiling like 8' or less.

This shot gives me lots of trouble, I want to know how people approach it and what type of disc to use.

If the shot is >200' I can power up a Firebird or my somewhat OS mid (Verdict), blast it on a slight hyzer wing down edge, and count on it to go fairly straight past the initial trees, then track left hard, hit the ground and give me the skip I want.

If the shot is <50' I can pretty easily arc in a mellow putter, or kind of projectile lob the mid or Firebird and it will get around the corner.

But, if the shot is in that terrible, typical 50-200' range, I have trouble. My OS mid and utility Firebird have to be powered down so much that they act like they have HSS = +2 and they don't glide, and often when I throw them hard enough to actually "fly" a bit, I overshoot my window by 50'. And if I throw my normal putter on a hyzer it just won't get around the corner enough for what I'm usually doing.

So what is your approach? Am I missing a slow meathook disc like a Gator or Zone that will magically fix it? Or should I be fine with what I'm using, and for example throw the Firebird full power at the ground beside the initial tree and use that extra power to help it kick left?

Let's hear some options!

Oh, and if this situation were the opposite as a left to right, I'd just flick and have zero problems. Weird that it's so much easier than my more dominant backhand throw.

I haven't mastered it myself, but we've got some local pros who are deadly accurate with right hand forehand rollers on shots like this. They practically drive that thing like a remote control car, and make it curl right up to the pin. I just sit there dumbfounded.

Throw a understable disc at a lower power. The extra glide will help it carry more on a hyzer line and no need to torque a firebird hard or finesse a putter. I have a very beat up axiom crave i use for these kind of shots. They also skip much better vs slower mids. Nose up low flying hyzers are great for wooded courses!

This is such a common situation on the course, the basket is tucked in some trees and you have to throw a hyzer/right to left (RHBH) to get around guardian trees...and the branches give you a low ceiling like 8' or less.

This shot gives me lots of trouble, I want to know how people approach it and what type of disc to use.

If the shot is >200' I can power up a Firebird or my somewhat OS mid (Verdict), blast it on a slight hyzer wing down edge, and count on it to go fairly straight past the initial trees, then track left hard, hit the ground and give me the skip I want.

If the shot is <50' I can pretty easily arc in a mellow putter, or kind of projectile lob the mid or Firebird and it will get around the corner.

But, if the shot is in that terrible, typical 50-200' range, I have trouble. My OS mid and utility Firebird have to be powered down so much that they act like they have HSS = +2 and they don't glide, and often when I throw them hard enough to actually "fly" a bit, I overshoot my window by 50'. And if I throw my normal putter on a hyzer it just won't get around the corner enough for what I'm usually doing.

So what is your approach? Am I missing a slow meathook disc like a Gator or Zone that will magically fix it? Or should I be fine with what I'm using, and for example throw the Firebird full power at the ground beside the initial tree and use that extra power to help it kick left?

Let's hear some options!

Oh, and if this situation were the opposite as a left to right, I'd just flick and have zero problems. Weird that it's so much easier than my more dominant backhand throw.

You can pick up another meathook if you want. Or just learn to throw the intentional skip with what you have. Firebird works fine. Throw the snot out of it right into the ground, let it do its thing

I haven't mastered it myself, but we've got some local pros who are deadly accurate with right hand forehand rollers on shots like this. They practically drive that thing like a remote control car, and make it curl right up to the pin. I just sit there dumbfounded.

That is my NEW favorite option for this shot. Forehand rollers are tons of fun

Throw a understable disc at a lower power. The extra glide will help it carry more on a hyzer line and no need to torque a firebird hard or finesse a putter. I have a very beat up axiom crave i use for these kind of shots. They also skip much better vs slower mids. Nose up low flying hyzers are great for wooded courses!

Interesting, I haven't tried that. So just throw a banking hyzer with a River or something like that, and it will keep gliding left? I like throwing neutral mids too, so I can try the nose up glide hyzer with that too. Gives me some new ideas for sure.

The forehand roller is definitely a great option, it's the perfect line for it. I need to learn that shot, I don't have it at all.

Yeah just need to make sure you are ACTUALLY throwing a hyzer. Can practice rolling the wrist down to get that feel. Its opposite of trying to throw a oaty turnover with forcing the Palm down. OS discs just want to hit the ground faster not really "fade more". This isnt for a skip shot as much as a low line hyzer as the US discs wont skip as hard laterally but carry in the air much longer before skipping.

OS discs just want to hit the ground faster not really "fade more".

So many people miss this point, and its so key to manipulating angles. A less stable disc when thrown correctly will almost always get more left to right movement then a more stable disc. It won't go left as HARD, but it will cover more lateral distance.

So many people miss this point, and its so key to manipulating angles. A less stable disc when thrown correctly will almost always get more left to right movement then a more stable disc. It won't go left as HARD, but it will cover more lateral distance.

Definitely, if I want to get as far left as possible something like a Teebird up high with the wing down will just keep gliding left. The sweep hyzer that drifts forwards and left gets left way more than an OS disc on straight to fade, or that holds the line and dives to the ground.

I just didn't think of doing that with the low ceiling and the slightly faster disc (glidey mid/fairway) to take the ceiling restriction somewhat out of play. I've been using OS discs because I've been counting on the skip/flare at the end...if that wasn't going to happen then there's no way that they would hit the ground as far left as a glidey disc that holds a mild hyzer.

Forehand roller.

Intriguing. What discs do they use for these short rollers? Not understable drivers like for max distance rollers, correct?

Anything really just need to practice what angle and power you need to put it down at and get a adisc to curl up

Another option might be a sidearm firebird on an anny line. I don't throw it real often, but I find firebirds are so predictable and easy to shape lines with especially sidearm that it can be a useful shot on occassions without worrying about turning it over. Often when I have no line I shape one with a sidearm firebird. Easymode. If you have to get real far left on a low ceiling I think throwing backhand throwing something fast and overstable gives you the most room for error (firebird, monster) because you don't have to hit the perfect line in the air, you can aim lower and trust the skip. Just put it out on a low nose down hyzer towards the ground. Tall grass can mess up this strategy. Sidearm rollers are fun too and can eliminate risk/obstacles, but are usually a last resort for me atleast. The best answer would probably be to practice them all and then throw what you are most comfortable with.

The understate option is a good one and a good shot to have. The zone is also a answer to this shot for sure. The zone is truly an amazing disc I know everyone says it and people are probably sick of it but it's true. Find a stiff hard pro d and it will skip awesome on powered down shots. If the ceiling is to low for the understate approach go for the zone.

I use a whippet/xtreme/xxx for the shots like this in between a zone/verdict and a firebird.

Those are a touch slower than a firebird but still stable enough to turn and skip.

Latest posts