• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

500’ standstills - approach to teaching fundamentals

And I am not quite pissed at your beautiful levers when throwing, but I do get grouchy sometimes.
*walks in with a +5" wingspan*
Im Out GIF

RE: pushups (or lack thereof)
Wouldn't building the pushing motion be counter to the muscles used for the throw? Chest and biceps would be used in adduction motions whereas triceps and shoulders would be used in abduction moves.

So doesn't it make sense that these bombers struggle with pushups? And they'd probably be proportionately stronger at exercises utilizing shoulders?
I can see a disc golf bomber being proportionately stronger on the pulling side of their musculature, but if they can't crank out a dozen or more pushups they ought to hit the gym!

I'm 55 years old, 6'3", and started working out about a year ago. It hasn't revolutionized my throwing or anything, but I feel stronger and more solid and I'm throwing further than I used to. Should also help with injury prevention. I just finished an online pushup challenge - 2,000 pushups in 23 days, with daily totals ranging between 50 and 175 pushups. Some of the days were hard, but doing the pushups in batches of 10 or 20 made it very manageable.

RE: pushups (or lack thereof)
Wouldn't building the pushing motion be counter to the muscles used for the throw? Chest and biceps would be used in adduction motions whereas triceps and shoulders would be used in abduction moves.

So doesn't it make sense that these bombers struggle with pushups? And they'd probably be proportionately stronger at exercises utilizing shoulders?
Biceps are only a stabilizer muscle in the pushup, not a prime mover. The triceps are a prime mover, however, and they extend the arm, which could be very important.

There's also some research on people with compromised muscle tissue used for deceleration not being able to fully engage acceleration musculature (terribly worded here). Imagine having a minor tear in your pectoral muscles, that are usually involved in slowing down your arm during your follow-through, your body might not be willing to allow you to go full-out because your breaks are damaged. There's some reason to believe that stronger pecs might allow you to throw harder.

And lastly, pecs are quite involved in the forehand (and overhead) throw, and many people want that.

Very interesting thread :) I'm just trying to help people who are struggling by teaching them how to train and what to look for. Of course I have to make some bold claims and eye drawing titles, it's the way youtube works these days unfortunately. I have reiterated I don't have perfect form in all of my videos, and try to focus on the basics I think we all agree on. Even a no brain gorilla like myself can learn that in 10 months. I appreciate those of you who were open minded about me, and never change Wibin.

Last edited:
Fair play, I've enjoyed and learned from some of the more recent videos. The explanation of how the suitcase grip helps keep the elbow up was really good, and useful to a lot of folk no doubt.

I was definitely put off by the click bait stuff at the beginning, but i do think your understanding of the body mechanics is actually pretty solid. And very impressive for such a short time playing.

Fair play, I've enjoyed and learned from some of the more recent videos. The explanation of how the suitcase grip helps keep the elbow up was really good, and useful to a lot of folk no doubt.

I was definitely put off by the click bait stuff at the beginning, but i do think your understanding of the body mechanics is actually pretty solid. And very impressive for such a short time playing.
That is one thing I will give Clint credit for.
He does understand body movements pretty well because he is a good lifter.

Most of the rest of us doing have the fast twitch control or the overall body feel of what our body is doing like he does.
It's one of the reasons he's able to throw so well in such a short time, it's his body control.

The problem is, none of that is really teachable easily, and doesn't translate into actual coaching unless you find someone who actually has proper fast twitch muscle control.

When I talk about things like "adding to the kinetic chain" in the throw. I'm talking about fast twitch muscles.