• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

6000+ Courses

I don't necessarily think that's sad. More courses going extinct is just a logical after effect of more courses being built.

I agree. More courses going up equals more that were poorly planned, poorly designed and more that are just not maintained properly. Plus some are extinct layouts and the new course or courses still exist. Let's face it, some needed to RIP. Others were Nimbyd after they were put in. Some were private courses that were once listed, yet now are not. There are probably other scenarios that I have not thought of. It was over 2000 in 2009. I wonder of Timg counted the courses abroad?:\

I've added 8 courses to the site in 2017 but noted them from different years depending on there install date. 2017 will continue to have courses added to it in 2018.

this year I added 1 course to 2012, 1 to 2013, 3 to 2016 and 3 to 2017.

It's not really a downward trend in the number of new courses. The number of courses is still going up, but the increase is slowing down. The downward changes may not be statistically significant...hard to tell without looking at more data. I think it's hard to keep up large growth rates in any endeavor year after year. You end up using up most of the "low hanging fruit" opportunities. Personally I'd rather see our sport grow slowly but surely. Growing too fast causes it's own set of problems.

quantity does not equal quality

just because you CAN put a new course in does not mean you SHOULD

I can't help but notice the downward trend in # of new courses over the past three years.
That's probably a good thing. After the spike in popularity of ball golf a few years ago, they couldn't build new courses fast enough. Fast forward a few years and they're closing like Chipotles after a norovirus outbreak. Slow and steady wins the race.

I agree. More courses going up equals more that were poorly planned, poorly designed and more that are just not maintained properly. Plus some are extinct layouts and the new course or courses still exist. Let's face it, some needed to RIP. Others were Nimbyd after they were put in. Some were private courses that were once listed, yet now are not.....

Exactly. The more courses we have, the more chances to lose a course here and there, for good and bad reasons. Nothing's permanent.

The great majority of private courses will age out and disappear someday. The more there are, the longer they've been there, the more we'll see them close.

It's not sad that a number of courses have disappeared---it's to be expected.
But for many, it's sad that those particular courses disappeared.

Exactly. The more courses we have, the more chances to lose a course here and there, for good and bad reasons. Nothing's permanent.

The great majority of private courses will age out and disappear someday. The more there are, the longer they've been there, the more we'll see them close.

It's not sad that a number of courses have disappeared---it's to be expected.
But for many, it's sad that those particular courses disappeared.

I have an extreme example that I am not sure if it qualified to be RIP. It's name was Camp Minden DGC. It was in Minden Louisiana and was listed for somewhere between 2-7 days and then was gone. Not sure that anyone even got to mark it as been played. Maybe if nobody marks it as played or wishlists it before it gets taken off, it's as if it never existed?

That is a pretty extreme example. I've often said that private courses have finite lives, but that's finite and brief.

(I recall a private course being listed against the owner's wishes, and thus deleted shortly thereafter, once. Could be the case here, too).

Agreed David, people sometimes will contact DGCR (timg) and have it removed. Not every organization wants their course listed on these sites.

I have an extreme example that I am not sure if it qualified to be RIP. It's name was Camp Minden DGC. It was in Minden Louisiana and was listed for somewhere between 2-7 days and then was gone. Not sure that anyone even got to mark it as been played. Maybe if nobody marks it as played or wishlists it before it gets taken off, it's as if it never existed?

Someone needs to add them! I added a bunch a while back but skipped over the 3 hole setups at schools that kind of stretch the definition of "course".

Someone who can tell whether each bunch of letters is the course's name, the park's name, the ciity's name, or a warning to keep out. We don't want to list the "Closed for Repairs" course on the "Turn Left at Barn" ski area in "Column Heading" Finland.

Hah, Google Translate helps a lot... eventually you figure out what's what.

Someone needs to add them! I added a bunch a while back but skipped over the 3 hole setups at schools that kind of stretch the definition of "course".

I agree, 3 baskets would be a stretch.
But, 6 baskets generally allows you get some decent holes in, even if they are a "practice course". I am fine with those being added to this site.

Agreed David, people sometimes will contact DGCR (timg) and have it removed. Not every organization wants their course listed on these sites.

I play several private courses in the area that the owners don't want listed.

Strange thing is, there is no litter or vandalism at these courses.

And that's probably why they don't want them listed. Listing a course can open the floodgates to all sorts of new people. Statistically speaking, that will increase the chances of littering and vandalism.

That and most of the courses play close to the owners house at some point so privacy is another reason.

And if you lose a disc, it is rarely lost. It just has not been found and returned yet.

I installed that course and added it to the site. Camp Minden is a Louisiana National Guard facility with a Youth Challenge Program on site. The course was for the cadets at the program. A couple of days after I added it to the site, I got a call from the Director of the Program. He instructed me to remove it from the site. I did since I was an employee. The course is no longer.

Latest posts