• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Newbie Asks: How Do I Get My Kids Interested?

Krejaton

Hi, hope I am not stepping on toes as this is my first post.

I have two daughters, 12 and 10, and I bought us all a set of DG frisbees for Christmas. I want them to have some early success so that they don't become frustrated and discouraged, so I took them to Deerfield Park in Irvine, Ca. and we had a good time.

Are there any suggestions or helps out there for a dad to get his kids interested and excited about DG?

Thanks!

Welcome to the site!

One suggestion that I thought was a good one is not to have your daughters worry about playing from the "official" tee pads. Maybe pick a point in which they can get to the basket in 3 throws. Some courses have "long" and "short" tee pads.

If it takes them 8 throws to get to the basket on every hole it can lead to a long frustrating day.

its gotta be fun, make sure its about fun and nothing else

I have kids ranging from 2-11. All of them like DG at different levels. Don't push it - some might just not like it.
My 9 year girl old went out with me yesterday in 22 degree weather and we had a blast. That was the first time she did all 18.
My 11 year girl old goes out every chance she gets.
My 7 year old boy goes and plays about 10.
Just have fun with them. Work on fundamentals when they are willing, but don't push it.
I have tried to steer my kids to discs that work for them, but they always want to pick based on the color or the animal on the disc. I am ok with that, because they are at least throwing. If one really seems to be struggling, I suggest a better disc when they show the first signs of frustration.

Just have fun!

ha i just played that course yesterday and its a good one for beginners. ive had friends work out a handicap system putting dad aginst all kids. bet the kids who will win and loser(s) clean the house. :D

theyre working together to learn the sport, could possibly make pops be shamed and clean the house...and you get a clean house and kids who are motivated to learn and be competitive!

Last edited:
It's a goofy balancing act. I've got a 6-year old walking around with a TeeRex in her bag. She never throws it, but she loves it. When she gets home she hangs it on her wall a lot of the time. She has a special "disc golf outfit" that color coordinates with her bag. She just walks with me for the most part and throws her putter in from a foot away. There is a playground by #4 that we stop at and let her play for 10 or 15 minutes, and # 8 is on a levee so I let her barrel-roll down the hill when we are done. It's a lot more "goofing in the park with daddy" than it is playing disc golf. I'm hoping that if she walks around with me with Frisbee's in a bag she might eventually start to play.

My 9-year old gets frustrated because she shows about as much ability as I do. She struggles to get 40' out of a 150 class Magnet. Her upper body and lower body are all out of whack and she tried to throw too hard. The more she throws the more frustrated she gets and the harder she tires to throw which makes her throws shorter which makes her more frustrated...she is having zero fun. She also hates that her sister has stated going with me since that used to be her "daddy and me" activity. I don't ask her to come to the course with me anymore, we just play catch in the backyard. Hopefully she will relax at some point and pick it back up. Right now she is wound way too tight.

My six year old loves it!!!! He always asks me to go disc golfing!!! He can sling it pretty far too!!! Most people are amazed at his length!!! I would guess at his best its about 100ft!!! Pretty good for a 6 year old!!! If they like they will play it!! If not don't push them!!!!

I'm trying to indoctrinate my daughter from infancy. So far, she can toddle around and put a mini disc in the mini basket. No throws yet. :p

It all comes down to them wanting to do it. You can prod and poke and nod and wink but it still comes down to them...you know how hard it is to bend kids will at times.

The key is to show as much interest as they do when they do show it and to help them out when they need it. Its a tough balancing act but our daughter went from not playing at all to playing 5-9 and sometimes the whole 18 holes. Just know when to make that tee shorter and know when to let her play daddy's drop or whatever.

get the ultralight discs. like the 105 polecat

A big thank you to all of you...maybe one thing I failed to state is that I have never played before either. Since I was about 10, I would play softball at La Mirada regional park and always wanted to play their disc golf course...but I just got our first DG set for Christmas. We certainly aren't ready for La Mirada yet (can you say 10 shots per hole?), but someday.

I say this because I am a newb, so use small words and non-technical language please! :gross:

Does the 105 Polecat indicate the gram weight or a disc type or something else?

I got a 140g driver for my youngest and a 160g from my 12 year old--are those adequate?

ha i just played that course yesterday and its a good one for beginners. ive had friends work out a handicap system putting dad aginst all kids. bet the kids who will win and loser(s) clean the house. :D

theyre working together to learn the sport, could possibly make pops be shamed and clean the house...and you get a clean house and kids who are motivated to learn and be competitive!

Dude, this is pure brilliance! All I can say is a huge thanks for this idea.

I want to make this fun for them, first and foremost, but also to foster a bit of competition.

A big thank you to all of you...maybe one thing I failed to state is that I have never played before either. Since I was about 10, I would play softball at La Mirada regional park and always wanted to play their disc golf course...but I just got our first DG set for Christmas. We certainly aren't ready for La Mirada yet (can you say 10 shots per hole?), but someday.

I say this because I am a newb, so use small words and non-technical language please! :gross:

Does the 105 Polecat indicate the gram weight or a disc type or something else?

I got a 140g driver for my youngest and a 160g from my 12 year old--are those adequate?

Yep the number is the gram weight. Those discs you got are a good weights except for in the wind you will want something heavier.

Use whatever the kids enjoy!
Some folks on here have said their kids use the Aerobie, and the biggest problem is because of that giant hole, they get stuck in the trees!

Most importantly for all of you - HAVE FUN!!!!!

Krejaton,

First of all, welcome to DGCR! What a great first post. Here are some ideas:

• HAVE FUN! That's the overriding principle.
  • Play catch at home with a light Whamo frisbee so that they have fun and learn how to throw.
  • Get them light discs in the 100-130 gram range, like those used with the EDGE program. The Innova Super Star looks intriguing.
  • Like Threeputt said find other ways to have fun in the park. Let them play on any playgrounds or in any creeks that they have fun in. (BTW, since you're new here, always listen to what Threeputt says. He's loaded with great info.)
  • After you're done, make it a ritual to always take them to get a soft drink and a candy bar.
  • Play fun putting games at a practice target so that they learn to putt. When they can putt they can score.
  • Throw with your off hand (usually left). That puts you on a more even level AND it may even be valuable to you some day.
  • Let them start from a shorter tee that you make up closer to the basket.
  • Give them as many "do overs" as they want and take the best one.
  • If you play against them, let them be a team and take their best shot on every hole.
  • Recruit their friends to play.
  • If you can get 5 kids teach them to play Wolf. (I can provide rules.) You would just play your own game and guide the Wolf game.
  • Take your kids to Liberty Park in Cerritos. It's much more suitable for them and even for you if you're new to the game.

• If you get hooked on this greatest of all sports then you must make sure to avoid the #1 mistake that I made. The mistake is to focus so much on your game that you neglect your kids and drag them around when they're not having fun. I may have ruined my daughter's interest and damaged my son's by getting so much into my own game that they were secondary. To be honest, they were just an excuse to allow me to play. I didn't help or encourage them enough because I was into my own game. I also made them keep playing after they were bored so that I could finish. How I regret it now!! Every time that the kids are with you give them your whole focus. Work on your own game another time. If you can hook them into the game you'll reap the rewards later. When you offer to take the girls out so that your wife can have some free time she'll even bless you!
Just in case I wasn't clear ALWAYS HAVE FUN!

Are there any suggestions or helps out there for a dad to get his kids interested and excited about DG?

Thanks!

My daughters are 15 and 17. They started playing at about the age your kids are. (Before that we just goofed around.) When we first started, one thing I did was to choose courses that were mostly 9 holes and pretty short. Although I would carry a putter and throw most every hole, mostly I just caddied for them. They were throwing normal catch discs then I got then each 150g Aeros. Then I let them choose discs out of my bag. Then they started collecting they're own. We did real well till my oldest started wanting to hang out with her friends rather than her dad. Since she turned 16 we've played very little. I look for my youngest to do the same. I hope you have better success than I did.

A few more thoughts (my only beef with DGCR is that there's a 5 minute limit on editing your posts):

• Teach your girls to throw forehand instead of back hand. Kids do much better with this. They can throw farther with less power. (If you're not sure how to do it, look at youtube. It's a very valuable throw to have. If you happen to be an Ulty dude you're sure to have a good flick.)
  • By all means go over to Discovering the World! DTW will get you hooked in no time. It's one of the premier disc shops and they can answer any questions you have.
Oh yeah, for full disclosure, I have to give you a note of caution. All of the regulars on DCGR are hooked on disc golf, so we're pushers who are trying to create other addicts.

Yeah, I used to let my daughter beat me on a hole with a creek running across the fairway because I threw a roller into the creek every time. She would take two shots to the creek and then clear on her third. Then she got to jump into the creek to get my disc, which is fun. At least it used to be, she is older and has lost some of those "jump in the creek for fun" qualities she used to have. Anyway, she always thought it was funny when I threw my disc in the creek. Just keep it fun.

Latest posts