• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] A Pro-D Stratus is good forrrr?

Low power straight shots, out of trouble finesse shots. Rollers for sure, its a goofy disc but kinda cool. I have one but don't play with it competitively . It's unique to have tho. could help in situations where you can't move or get a position and you need a straight shot

I carry one in Elite X plastic and I am a RHFH player. I use it as my understable mid. If you can flick Buzzes well it works as a really nice line carving compliment. I think the little extra speed makes it more consistent for me than slower understable mids. It excels at hyzer flip to turnover shots and finesse tunnel shots.

I've bagged a stratus for years. It's a great glidey annyhyzer disc. You can throw it high and slow and it just glides to the right for rhbh player.

Oh wow. I didnt even notice that it was a mid. Its listed as a fairway driver online and the disc says long range... wow. Yeah, that profile surely is a mid. Thank you for that.

As others have stated, it's labeled as "Long Range" because it originally was. Same as the Stalker being listed as "Extra Long Range," even though it's a fairway by today's standards.

The Stratus was released in '97. Compare that to the most popular drivers today;
Destroyer: 2007
Boss: 2008
Tern: 2012
Force: 2008
Nuke: 2008
Freedom: 2014
PD2: 2010

A lot of change has happened over 20 years. Hell, the Innova Viper was the first "driver" released that was overstable enough that could be used for an anhyzer flex shot and that was only 6 years before the Stratus. Before than, the flex shot didn't really even exist.

I digress. The Stratus is still a valid midrange for plenty of options. Very easy to hyzer-flip for dead straight tunnel shots that will still end turning over slightly to the right after insane amounts of glide. Still great for massive sky-anhyzer shots that won't even think of flexing back. And still a great long-range putter for many because of it's high glide and incredibly straight flight when powered down. I've never tried it as a roller (admittedly, my roller game is weeeeak) However, I did bag an Elite X Strat for quite a while when I was throwing all Discraft. Solid turnover disc and hyzer-flip disc.

Still great for massive sky-anhyzer shots that won't even think of flexing back.
This is one of my favorite shots to execute, but my go-to disc is the roadrunner. Once it hits maximum height it straightens out and glides forever to the ground with zero fade. I'll try it with the stratus and compare.

Aha! Got it! So, after a little time i have my status dialed in. I was for sure overpowering it. I had to step beck and let it breathe a little. Got solid flips both FH and BH. I will say that i wont be using this for rollers at all. It sure doesnt beat the RR for those. This one is rather light and gets pushed around alot on big hyzers so ill stick with my other mids. Its a pretty cool disc once you get it figured out. If i can find a heavier one i might tinker with it, but Im probably gonna set this one aside and save it for my wife if she ever wants it. If not im gonna tear right through it. Thanks for all the help guys! :)

Hyzer flip turnovers, rollers, long sky turnovers, etc. It'll start to beat up pretty quickly though, and likely get real flippy for anyone with moderate snap. It's a good beginner disc IMO.

Stingray comparison is spot on. Both get fairway drive distance off midrange rim width.

Pro-D stratus are garbage imo. Simply because the waxy crappy Pro-D they use on them feels terrible and warps easily. Elite-X is money. The best are the PDGA signup disc from years ago, you know the black run that you got for signing up PDGA the first time.

Nah, these are the best ones:

picture.php

The description on the stamp always made me lol...I thought "everything but hyzers" would have been easier to read. :|

Q: What first run golf disc holds the least value?

A:
picture.php

I think I still have three. :\

Nah, these are the best ones:

picture.php

The description on the stamp always made me lol...I thought "everything but hyzers" would have been easier to read. :|

Is that Tournament plastic?

3P, I always love the lessons. I wasn't around for the earlier plastics, but I love Discraft's X. I think my first disc golf disc was an X Talon, and my wife is really liking an X Stratus.

Yeah, those are the old Tourney Pro ones. In fairness, they fly pretty much exactly like an X Stratus and the X plastic is more durable, so I lied. What can I say, it's the Internet!

Yeah, those are the old Tourney Pro ones. In fairness, they fly pretty much exactly like an X Stratus and the X plastic is more durable, so I lied. What can I say, it's the Internet!

I think it's safe to say that Discraft's D is inferior to Innova's DX (agreed?) Would I get into trouble saying that X is superior to Innova's Pro? They're pretty different so maybe I'm straying into dangerous waters.

I think it's safe to say that Discraft's D is inferior to Innova's DX (agreed?) Would I get into trouble saying that X is superior to Innova's Pro? They're pretty different so maybe I'm straying into dangerous waters.

Correct on D vs. DX

I really like Pro so I don't know if I can say X is better. Different.

DX definitely more durable than Pro-D. "Better" is in the eye of the (be)holder.

Elite-X is softer than Innova Pro. Again, who is better is a matter of taste and opinion.

Some DX is worse than some Pro-D, and vice-versa. Just depends...

I have some Elite-X that is harder than any Pro I've ever handled. Again, it just depends on the specific blend, and run...

Stingray comparison is spot on. Both get fairway drive distance off midrange rim width.

Pro-D stratus are garbage imo. Simply because the waxy crappy Pro-D they use on them feels terrible and warps easily. Elite-X is money. The best are the PDGA signup disc from years ago, you know the black run that you got for signing up PDGA the first time.

No doubt man, i actually got a kick on this stratus so hard that it came back u shaped. I didnt even know that could happen. I actually had to warp it back to keep throwing it.

I really dont dig D or DX. So far im in love with the Elite-X. The grip, durability and the price range is perfect for me.