• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A question for you Destroyer throwers...

emiller3

Double Eagle Member
What Destroyers do you have in your bag? I'm talking plastic and condition.

I'm currently carrying:
Echo Star - mild dome, forehand drives and strong headwind drives, and overhands
Star - flat, max weight, seasoned, great control driver, hyzer flips in mild headwind, I generally throw it flat and get a little fade at the end
DX - flat, seasoned, max D driver and hyzer flip driver

I'm wondering, when do you phase out your Destroyers (do they get squirely when they get understable?) Also, do you think I could transition to all Pro Destroyers to cover this stuff?

throwing Destroyers without having some pros in your bag is like dating Jessica Alba but choosing to stay celibate

I know they're the best, I've just always been afraid of how overstable they start off. But now that I'm working on my forehand and have developed an overhand, I see the overstability as a good thing.

I throw pretty much just destroyers for distance. All pro destroyers, 1 new, 2 seasoned, 1 wicked beat. The new ones hold up pretty well in the wind and I can crush the really beat ones with a tail wind. I tried the pro boss and star boss and champ boss and katana and nuke. I can't throw any of them as far a destroyer. They get there a little quicker I just like the destroyers better.

My buddy loves the domier DX ones. He uses them for a few months then retires them.

Jesse B 707 said:
throwing Destroyers without having some pros in your bag is like dating Jessica Alba but choosing to stay celibate

So you're saying it would be a good decision not to have pros in your bag.

I bought my main Destroyers a long time ago, I think before the Pro's came out. They are all flat as a pancake. The new Echo I got from Flick4D has more dome, but he said not as much as his regular Stars, and it looks like the 1st Run Stars I saw the other day.

I seem to get nose up issues with domey high speed drivers, but I've recently fixed that and I think the domier ones are probably fine for me to use now.

I threw them last year, they were my main-driver.
I had:
1 flat star -the best, little worn. Main disc
1 eco star -domey but almost same as normal star. Warm-up
1 pro -new, flat, I think this is not more overstable than star.

Hurricane said:
1 pro -new, flat, I think this is not more overstable than star.

The domier pro destroyers when they are new are the most overstable ones from my experience. They break into pure $$ tho.

when i feel like changin it up ill throw destroyers

1 flat star slightly seasoned
1 poppy top pro thats new
1 1st run destroyer.

all are $$$

champs are good if you can fnd the flat ones.

I carry a couple domey 169 pro Destroyers. After getting broken in they are the longest disc I throw. On the course I throw them about 425'.
I also use a 169 CFR Destroyer that is finally breaking in and I like it for hyzer flips and low lines. It is almost as long as the pro but doesn't have the carry at the end.
For stable max distance I use a 175 CFR Destroyer that has a little bit of a dome to it.

I never got into the pro destroyers. I did throw a beat star destroyer for a while and that was pretty long for me.

I bought a 169 star destroyer a year ago, and its love/hate. I love it forehand, a solid toss goes atleast 400' straight. Its my fastest, furthest, best forehand disc. I hate it backhand, just so many other overstable discs that perform better throwing RHBH. But I throw much stronger, farther, faster and accurate doing forearm tosses.

BIG MACK said:
First Run Star Destroyers...oh baby, quite possibly the best maximum distance driver ever made (IMO).

Dumb non-destroyer-thrower question: Whats so different about the 1st runs?

NoLifeLeft said:
BIG MACK said:
First Run Star Destroyers...oh baby, quite possibly the best maximum distance driver ever made (IMO).

Dumb non-destroyer-thrower question: Whats so different about the 1st runs?

I'm not a Destroyer thrower yet, the 1st run discs are more stable that the later runs in this mold (if I remember correctly).

But again.. I don't throw them

JRufer13 said:
the 1st run discs are more stable that the later runs in this mold (if I remember correctly).
dgdave said:
The 10 or so first runs I had were all flatter and less overstable.

This is why I asked. When I searched for answers, half came up as "They were more stable and AWESOME" and the other half was "They were less stable and AWESOME". :roll: