• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A question for you Destroyer throwers...

I am a new Destroyer convert. Threw a few last week and discovered that they fly pretty nice. The Vulcan topped Echos are bombers. Can anyone tell me what to look for in a Star Destro that will indicate that it's flippy besides PLH?

Robin Hood said:
I am a new Destroyer convert. Threw a few last week and discovered that they fly pretty nice. The Vulcan topped Echos are bombers. Can anyone tell me what to look for in a Star Destro that will indicate that it's flippy besides PLH?

Look for the gummiest and flattest. Those are usually understable.

Just picked up what I believe to be is a newer run tourney stamped Pro Destroyer this past weekend. No patent number, and it has the the original top. No Vulcan top. Maybe Innova is starting to get this thing sorted out...

himynameismatt said:
Just picked up what I believe to be is a newer run tourney stamped Pro Destroyer this past weekend. No patent number, and it has the the original top. No Vulcan top. Maybe Innova is starting to get this thing sorted out...

USUALLY tourney stamped discs are older as the manufacturers set them aside as blanks when they do big runs, and then stamp the rest of the run with production stamps. I'm not saying it's not possible that it is new, but I think we'd be seeing new production stamped ones first. It's also possible that Innova removed the Vulcan topped discs from their custom stamping stock as tourney players are more likely to notice such things.

I throw Destroyers as my main D drivers. A pro, a star and a S/DS. My question is, how hard are the S/DS Destros to come by. If I go to a large retailer like Discovering the World and sort through them, am I likely to find any? If not, what a good destroyer feeling replacement? Xcal? Also are the S/DS Destros always light (mine's 169g) like Starlite Bosses?

I have some S/DS Destroyers down to 165g. Most of mine though are between 170-173. I have and have seen plenty at max weight. I still see S/DSs around town, but they are getting more and more scarce. Great discs.

As far as replacements, I couldn't say because I am stocked up for life with S/DSs. Pehaps a PD2? I don't know what to tell you about XCals, I only have and throw the E* Protos, and they're not S/DS stable.

pd2 would be a good replacment for a beefy sds. though they only come in champ and pro right now. im still waiting for some s line pd2's to be released

Rigid star blend poppy-top destroyers with high PLH are by far the most over-stable I've thrown. I have one that I could throw into a hurricane force headwind and it won't flip. But even these ones beat in after a while and eventually become bomb turn-over drivers. I have one of these, too. Very nice to have both types in rotation...

I lost it, but I had an S/DS beat in and that thing bombed like no other disc I have seen before. I really wish I still had it because I am having a bitching time getting one at the same state that one was.

Do you guys really think there is a difference between S/DS and *DS? I've got both and they are exactly the same (dome, firmness, PLH, et al).

juju said:
Do you guys really think there is a difference between S/DS and *DS? I've got both and they are exactly the same (dome, firmness, PLH, et al).
Might be just that more S/DS's are consistent with each other than *Ds's, rather than the two markings always being different.

juju said:

My favorites are actually the ones marked *D. My thinking is that a lot of them marked this way are of the same run or at least have a better chance of being from the same run.

Anyways all my *D'S are all super domey and have just a touch of turn. And they bomb :)

himynameismatt said:
juju said:

My favorites are actually the ones marked *D. My thinking is that a lot of them marked this way are of the same run or at least have a better chance of being from the same run.

Anyways all my *D'S are all super domey and have just a touch of turn. And they bomb :)

Aren't the *Ds all protos or early runs? All of mine are anyways. Pretty sure all current runs are marked *DS or S/DS. My *Ds are straighter with some turn.

i got a champy-star destroyer at a tourney a few weeks ago. the thing is stupid overstable... almost useless. im not exaggerating in any way, but it has no glide and just knifes into the ground when thrown flat.

I have a starlight 166g that is more overstable than my C-PD2s.

Your avatar makes me hungry Hyzerline.

Destroyers are refusing to stay out of my bag...I've tried probably 6 different molds in my Max D slot this summer. Flows, Wraiths, DD's, Nuke's etc. Keep coming back to the Destroyer though. Some of those discs might be longer but the Destroyer's versatility and predictability keep shining through.

That and Destroyers are as fast as I need and I can put a lot of arm speed behind the throw without having to worry about a turn and burn.

Starlight does that. They all come out crazy overstable. You go much below 170g on a war speeder and it's gonna be beefy.

Matt: considered the Rampage by Legacy Discs?

You know I have some 150 class star destroyers and half of them are crazy beefy and the other half are just like normal destroyers. It's very odd. I guess Innova figured out how to mold them without them coming out super stable at some point.