• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A tip I found to improve D...

racer93

Double Eagle Member
Granted, this helps most when you have your timing down...

What I found is that when I give a little wrist "snap" or wrist extension between the hit point and your sternum, it gives quite a bit more power and "snap" into the disc. I think most people say to do this naturally (not intentionally) but I found it to be better when I physically do it myself. I had not played for a year and when I started to throw a little again, I was able to get back to my old D of 550' pretty easily and this is one of the things I've noticed that helped.

Just trying to help anyone that may want/need it.

Daniel

you mean on the pull back between the 2 points before the reach back? almost as a 'jab' at your intended target line?

I do this...it not only helps me line up my drives, but yes, also gives me added D.:thmbup:

to those trying to learn this...be careful with it messing up your 'engrained' taiming you've had since you've started playing.

25z2g4z.jpg

do you mean like the bottom left drawing?

Yes, Tri. It's from the sternum to the rip point that you actively extend your wrist (back of hand reaching toward the elbow). I just did it today during a round and threw a destroyer 450' on what I thought was a bad drive using it...pretty cool.

And yes, it can definitely screw with your form IF you don't have your timing down. That's why I gave the disclaimer at the beginning... ;)

This is the second thread you've started where you state you throw 550'.
We live close enough, I'll meet you at Idlewild, please show me a 550' shot. You should be able to reach hole 1. It's over 600' but slightly downhill.

What ya say? Want to play a round of golf and impress the hell out of me? :)

Jay, I'm just trying to help people here, nothing more. Not trying to brag or anything of the like. I was giving some background to show I know a little of what I say.

I'll meet, but you can come to me, thanks. I have witnesses to my D. My brother lives in NKY and plays in their course challenges. He's seen it. He can tell you about it. I even did it with his disc, not mine (I'd never thrown it before--ESP Nuke.) At that same time, I threw several buzzzes and comets somewhere around 425'.

FWIW, I don't know why you're so doubtful of people's D. (And no, I'm not afraid of playing a round with you, although you probably would find some fault with what I've said, like "He only threw 540' that day so he can't say he throws 550'.") Why not just trust people that have given no reason to doubt them? If you go read on DGR, I studied the hell out of techniques to gain D last year and had major struggles until a big breakthrough. I think anyone that studies (and discusses) this stuff that much you'd have to give some credibility to...

@ Triflusal - Dude you have way too much time on your hands!!! I like the drawing! I just didn't get the putter usage equation...

@racer93 - I guess its all about trial and error huh? 50% say curl wrist/ 50% say its a bad omen...

@ Triflusal - Dude you have way too much time on your hands!!! I like the drawing! I just didn't get the putter usage equation...

@racer93 - I guess its all about trial and error huh? 50% say curl wrist/ 50% say its a bad omen...

not my drawing, check out this thread

I just wanted to play a round of golf.
Wow.

Sorry if I took what you said the wrong way. I've seen people give others heck on here about message board distance. I guess I came off a bit defensive. Sorry about that, ok? I just know what I have done and I get a bit tired of being questioned on it.

As for the round, sure. I don't get up that way much, but absolutely. You coming down for the Charlie Vettiner Open next weekend? A LOT of top pros are coming in, including several recent world champs...should be fun.

You're right. I found it when people kept telling me to accelerate your hand as fast as you can after it gets to your sternum and not before. I found that this is a way of doing that efficiently. (For me, anyway.)

I first used putters and other deep-rimmerd discs to get that feeling on your fingers. It's MUCH easier to feel it on those discs vs high speed drivers. It's odd but it's true. (FYI, putters leave your hand initially with MORE speed than drivers. Drivers just keep that speed longer. A guy proved it with a speed gun. A Rhyno was something like 5mph faster than a wraith...)

Throwing 550' would have placed third in distance at Worlds, beating Jenkins, Schusterick and Gurthie to name a few.

Throwing 550' would have placed third in distance at Worlds, beating Jenkins, Schusterick and Gurthie to name a few.

Gurthis has thrown 803' and Jenkins reportedly over 250m. So, why didn't they throw that at worlds?

Answer? It's one point in time and there are atmospheric, physiologic and psychologic things that come into play. Would I have been able to beat them on that day? Most likely not. That is my MAX D, and most likely their max is much higher than mine (just look at GG and AJ's D examples).

I saw Dan Beto threw 575 feet at BRP. I forgot which hole but something like 700 feet hole with distance signs. Man, I still need to get my timing down, work in progress! I think Dan used Force for that throw.

That is my MAX D, and most likely their max is much higher than mine (just look at GG and AJ's D examples).

Sure, but you state "I was able to get back to my old D of 550' pretty easily" making it sound like that's your everyday distance. I've seen most of the big guns throw, and anything over 500 (no wind, flat ground) is a world class throw. Congrats.

Gurthis has thrown 803' and Jenkins reportedly over 250m. So, why didn't they throw that at worlds?

because they didn't have a 25+mph tailwind, and about the perfect elevation for distance throwing

p.s. im not doubting your D, i usually believe peoples max D unless they are asking for specific advice and it is sort of unbelievable

I have been able to throw, on a consistent basis, around 525'. Max has been 550' several times this and last year. (I was away for a year.) That's why I said it. If it was a fluke of, say, 600' once, I'd say I have thrown 600' before but not that *I throw* 600'. There is a big difference there.

You are right about the D competitions, Tri. I've heard some of the stories about the winds out on the salt flats...

Sure, but you state "I was able to get back to my old D of 550' pretty easily" making it sound like that's your everyday distance. I've seen most of the big guns throw, and anything over 500 (no wind, flat ground) is a world class throw. Congrats.

I should have said my max D of 550'. Sorry about the mis-stating that.

You cannot take wind out of distance throws. It's an integral part of it. Just like you'd never throw a firebird into a tailwind for D, you wouldn't throw into a headwind for max D. For me, a 10 o'clock wind is perfect.

Thank you for believing me. I know it's hard with people on the net that claim stuff they can't do. I do appreciate it.

Last edited:
I've always read to not curl ur wrist, but to extend it during the snap at the apex. I will try your method but will hold you responsible for any ensuing injury.

Latest posts