• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] A5

smoothplayer

Banned
Threw one yesterday and in no way is this a -1/1 disc. More like 0/2, maybe 0/3 even. I loved the feel of the disc for a power grip. It's more like a faster OS putter then slow mid. Pretty blunt putter like profile.

I didn't like the 400 plastic, it was floppy and gooey in the 90 degree temps.

I honestly could see myself loving this disc if it was run in a stiffer base plastic (300 or 350) so I could beat it in and cycle a few. It is that beefy.

I only throw one Prodigy disc too and it's an OG H1. This might be their best mold to me ever though. It just feel ideal as a driving putter. If I would compare it to anything it would be a beefier Cro with a blunter profile and little narrower rim. Doesn't go as far as a Cro. Compared to a TS Luna it is slightly shallower and much beefier. Felt even better profile wise.

I'm interested in what the profile of this disc looks like. Haven't been able to find anything yet.

A5 in flight is a Jawbreaker Zone but in premium plastic, I've been throwing Zones since 2016 and the A5 is seriously threatening that. Much more stable to OS than the numbers would imply.

I'm interested in what the profile of this disc looks like. Haven't been able to find anything yet.
It's almost exactly a Zone in hand feel, and I mean it's super super close. See my attached picture of a "A5 Zone A5" sandwich. Also a flatness profile of the A5 alone is attached.

I have two first runs and three stock runs all pink all 174-176 and they all fly the same, the factory flight numbers are incorrect IMO, out of the box it's a 4/4/0/2 and when it beats in it's a 4/4/-1/1.5 or so, depending on the wear. Spent about an hour chucking one at trees real hard, 400 plastic is crazy durable.

Attachments

• 4F4711C5-CAED-49FD-B854-87204D710E8E.jpg
    4F4711C5-CAED-49FD-B854-87204D710E8E.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 915B65E2-12D0-4778-AE7D-92E883C4CFB8.jpg
    915B65E2-12D0-4778-AE7D-92E883C4CFB8.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 60
I found one YouTube video of someone throwing it (that wasn't just a Prodigy promo).

I was pretty surprised by the flights, based on the video. As the others said, the flight numbers seem completely wrong! I'm curious if this is just a fluke with the first run or how it really is meant to fly. If that is the intended flight and it comes out in a variety of plastics, looks Prodigy could have a real winner here.

Isn't the A4 supposed to be a -1/1 flight style disc? I bought an A4 under that assumption and it does fly like that for me (white 400 plastic over a year ago). It's qite neutral overall at least.

A little surprised A5 is more behaving more stable than that.

Isn't the A4 supposed to be a -1/1 flight style disc? I bought an A4 under that assumption and it does fly like that for me (white 400 plastic over a year ago). It's qite neutral overall at least.

A little surprised A5 is more behaving more stable than that.

I've thrown an A4 and the A5 is more stable for sure. The A4 had a mild drifty fade and the A5 dumped harder.

Kinda cool that between the A1 and A5 now you cover that range from OS to OS approach disc… such a large stability gap between all of them… Shrugs.

Kinda cool that between the A1 and A5 now you cover that range from OS to OS approach disc… such a large stability gap between all of them… Shrugs.

Best naming system in the business. :gross:

A5 is the first Prodigy disc I've ever bagged, nothing else ever made me go "woah". Sure, the numbers aren't accurate(IMO) but 400 plastic is pretty great if you're a fan of gummy grippy plastic and it's crazy durable. Plus, three of the five A-series discs have a bead so the choice between Beadless is the Meathook A2 and the slightly "less-OS Zone" A5.

Don't sleep on the A5, if they make this in 300, 500 spectrum and 750 it's going to kick six years of Zone throwing out of my mixed bag. Yes, it's that good.

Yeah.. but Zone…

Nah, just poking fun at their naming convention that they should probably move on from at some point, IMHO.

I think if a Zone and a Luna had a baby this is the disc. Kind of sits right between the two. It's a little more putter like then a Zone, but still faster and a bit beefier then a Luna.

I do need it in 300 or 350G though. Not buying the 400. Too soft for me in the heat. Might be fine if it was 50 degrees and below though.

I think if a Zone and a Luna had a baby this is the disc. Kind of sits right between the two. It's a little more putter like then a Zone, but still faster and a bit beefier then a Luna.

I do need it in 300 or 350G though. Not buying the 400. Too soft for me in the heat. Might be fine if it was 50 degrees and below though.
I've been trying to figure out why the A5 feels better than a Zone for backhand grip, because on a profile comparison they're nearly identical so it must be a depth/thickness variance. Personally I'm a gummy/grippy plastic addict so 400 is amazing to me, I have super dry hands but I also really want this in 300 or 350g so I can beat one in to nice and flippy. Took a ton of work to get just a little turn out of the 400 plastic, haha.

I've been trying to figure out why the A5 feels better than a Zone for backhand grip, because on a profile comparison they're nearly identical so it must be a depth/thickness variance. Personally I'm a gummy/grippy plastic addict so 400 is amazing to me, I have super dry hands but I also really want this in 300 or 350g so I can beat one in to nice and flippy. Took a ton of work to get just a little turn out of the 400 plastic, haha.

I think specs can be off slightly too. I thought it felt bigger then a Zone, more blunt and maybe a tinge taller. Great feeling profile though for sure.

Anybody have new insights on these? I see they are now available in different plastics. Are they still coming out beefier than the A4s?

Anybody have new insights on these? I see they are now available in different plastics. Are they still coming out beefier than the A4s?
I've got over a dozen A5's now, bought a bunch of 300 when they came out, now I've got 300, 400 and 750 plastic variants with only the 400's being from the China factory, both my 300 and 750 say made in USA not "designed in USA" like the 400. As for stabilities, the 300 is the least stable out of the box but still not true to the 3/4/-1/1 number IMO, it's still a 4/4/0/2 but the 300 plastic beats in super nicely, I have two that I can flip to flat on FH hyzer lines now and it didn't take long to beat em in that way, they're essentially a Jawbreaker Zone and they've taken over the Zone slot in my bag entirely. 400 plastic is same flight but WAY more durable, 750 is the most OS of the ones I've thrown and all of them have been board flat out of the box, I only have them all in Pink so if colors are affecting stability I'm not in-tune with that. 750 is basically a Z Zone, very stable and torque resistant and I don't expect it to beat in for a few years.

I've thrown the 400 first run I have a bit more. It feels like a zone and flies like an envy. Very torque resistant, not beating in quickly at all. It's a really good disc, but the flight numbers are wrong

I've been throwing this disc into the ground before I do my real throw every time I use it. I'm gonna get it to be my Envy OS at some point but it's still beef currently! Legitimately thinking about making a 750 A5 my permanent super OS approach disc. I feel like it will probably stay super OS for the next century. Gotta get one first though.

Last edited:

I noticed this too, i definitely prefer the feel of the a5 vs the zone/distortion. I wouldn't call the new 400 plastic gummy, but has some give...really nice grip though and never an issue for me in the heat.

Latest posts