• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

About those oft-ignored fairway drivers

Is there much difference between the Teebird and the TL I already own?
In DX, Teebirds start off on the overstable side and work for moderate to shallow hyzers and straight shots with a fade. They'll handle mile to moderate winds OK, but won't get you max D in those situations. When they beat up they require some hyzer to fly straight but if thrown without roll-over and some height, they fly really straight and really far with minimal fade. Most people can throw them at least as far as their distance drivers. The issue with them is if they get turned over, they tend to turn hard and not fight to come back. This means they fly really well on great throws, but don't fly well if you're a bit off.

Champ/Star (or at least the ones I've thrown) start off more overstable than DX and break in to have a little bit of turn, but the fade doesn't beat out of them like you see with DX. They're more resistant to OAT but noticably shorter than DX. Lower level players like the high end ones because they mask more OAT. Upper level players like the high end ones because they keep more fade and are easier to control distance with when you're throwing >400'. I asked Mike Robinson (look for his name on the 2008 Worlds distance competition) why he prefers Champ and he basically said that every time he throws a DX it ends up 50' past where he was aiming.

TL's, on the other hand, are easier to flip, but are more likely to fade back. It's much easier to get a gentle turn with a TL than a Teebird. It's also easier to get a longer 'S' shot where you control when it turns and how much fade you get. They're also more forgiving than Teebirds because of this. If you accidently turn a TL a bit too much there's a lot better chance that it won't just flip over and stay that way to the ground.

Ok, here's an outside-the-box suggestion. Try a Millenium Sentinel (or a Discraft Wasp which I haven't tried yet). It's a faster, more overstable Roc. This is a great disc for anything under 300' for me. The reason I mention it is because if I throw it near full-strength and flat it furns over just slightly. It's filled that overstable void my TeeBird and JLS can't cover.

This is also a short profile disc so it releases very easy when gripping it like a driver. Let's put this in Innova numbers. It's probably like a 5/4/0/4 (speed/glide/turn/fade). If I throw it like a driver it's more like a 7/4/-1/3.

On the other hand I've got a friend who swears by the Quest/AT Tee-Bone which people who use them say they're a better TeeBird.

I carry a Whippet (overstable), Firebird (longer overstable), Teebird (stable), and a Leopard (understable). They are all in Star plastic except the Leopard in Champion. And no, I don't only throw Innova. I just prefer the feel of their long range and fairway drivers.

Is there much difference between the Teebird and the TL I already own?
night and day theyre two totally different discs the teebird has only a little fade and no high speed turn which makes it turnover and always come back the tl is almost the same mold as the jls when u throw it less than max its almost the same as a teebird but when thrown hard they coundnt be more different its much easier to turnover a tl

i just got my StarTL in from DGC this week and threw it for the first time today! great disc, so far i am very pleased with it.

Latest posts