• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

According to the salesman at Dicks Sporting Goods.. the Tern is replacing the Teebird

By that logic, he was being a good employee. Sell someone the wrong disc so they'll come back in a couple weeks/months when someone gives them better advice to buy another disc.

Dick's employees...mindless drones or evil geniuses?!?!

Maybe the genius is in their being mindless...

One of the beginner box sets that Innova does has a picture that I was in on the box.....

I was at an REI looking at discs (I always check out discs at places that sell them - never know what they might have that is OOP or something crazy) and a guy asks me if I needed help. I let him know that I did not but then he said something like "oh but you are looking at the pro rhyno (I was picking it up to see if it was one of the originals or one of the newer flight number ones) so you obviously need help with your putting. One thing that works for me is to aim right because the disc goes left."

I said "naw, just looking at what you have."

He then proceeds to tell more stuff like this and finally after about 10 comments I picked up one of the beginner boxes and said "see who I'm pointing to...that's me. I don't need any help."

I think he got the picture (pun intended) then.
Having your picture on the box... priceless. :D

Last edited:
Gotta figure he was taking the ball golf sales route on that one. Any sporting goods salesperson can pull the "it's the latest and greatest, everyone's buying one" routine with the latest Big Bertha driver, even if they know zilch about golf, since normally you only carry one driver in your bag.

Obviously with his clearly limited experience throwing golf discs, in his mind, it works the same way and whatever the "latest and greatest" driver from Innova happens to be is going to be what everyone wants in their bag this season.

I bet if you explained to him that the Tern would be like a Big Bertha and the Teebird is more like a 3 or 4-iron, he might have grasped onto the concept quicker. Sounds like you were polite with him, though.

:thmbup:

What's up with the mods changing all the thread names? Are the names to sensationalistic?

Last edited:
At least he knows what disc golf is. Most Dicks employees don't...in fact, I've found Dick's employees to be lacking in sports knowledge in general. Trying to get a baseball mitt for my daughter was like pulling teeth...and trying to get running shoes there? Forget about it.

However, if you ask most Dick's folks where the "frolf" section is they point you in the right direction

mAYBE A GOOD sPONSER

I always see TD's asking who should we get to sponsor our tournament? Googled Dick's sporting goods and boy are they everywhere. Maybe DG PlanetTV should approach them to take on a major role funding the filming of the National tour. Super win win.

Dick's spends a ridickulous amount on advertising for discs. There's only so much you can pay for a Google ad when your products are under $20 and still turn a profit. We're talking up to a few bucks per click for someone who might buy a disc. Dick's is bidding so high, you could soon stop seeing ads by disc golf companies floating to the top of the sponsored results. It was pretty bad this past holiday season.

Part of why DN targets a mainstream look and approach, rather than fully letting the freak flag fly, is because at some point Dicks or Walmart or another behemoth is gonna look at the DG landscape, see a bunch of slacker heroes, and decide they could jump in and easily own the market. Not so fast bitches, not in my disc golf! We wanna c**kblock Dicks for the good of the sport. Dicks won't ever have the depth of disc understanding that a nerdy DG outfit would, so we wanna lead the charge of demystifying the disc to a broad audience, and tie that to the shopping experience in a way that makes buying from non-players unbearable.

tl;dr: Dicks not only wants to be your pro shop, but your course's newest guests' authoritative resource, and this should terrify us all.

IMO it's the single most dangerous thing that could happen to the future of the sport and our collective progression towards true sport theory... Big Box forcing out the current disc retailer model. We want mom-n-pops, Communities, local pop-the-trunk pros to survive. DG needs its retail culture in order to preserve and further an understanding of the disc. Nobody's more interested in educating players about the disc and how it acts than these player-run retailers.

/Mission from God.

I wonder who's going to be replacing him at his job...

:popcorn:

Dick's spends a ridickulous amount on advertising for discs. There's only so much you can pay for a Google ad when your products are under $20 and still turn a profit. We're talking up to a few bucks per click for someone who might buy a disc. Dick's is bidding so high, you could soon stop seeing ads by disc golf companies floating to the top of the sponsored results. It was pretty bad this past holiday season.

Part of why DN targets a mainstream look and approach, rather than fully letting the freak flag fly, is because at some point Dicks or Walmart or another behemoth is gonna look at the DG landscape, see a bunch of slacker heroes, and decide they could jump in and easily own the market. Not so fast bitches, not in my disc golf! We wanna c**kblock Dicks for the good of the sport. Dicks won't ever have the depth of disc understanding that a nerdy DG outfit would, so we wanna lead the charge of demystifying the disc to a broad audience, and tie that to the shopping experience in a way that makes buying from non-players unbearable.

tl;dr: Dicks not only wants to be your pro shop, but your course's newest guests' authoritative resource, and this should terrify us all.

IMO it's the single most dangerous thing that could happen to the future of the sport and our collective progression towards true sport theory... Big Box forcing out the current disc retailer model. We want mom-n-pops, Communities, local pop-the-trunk pros to survive. DG needs its retail culture in order to preserve and further an understanding of the disc. Nobody's more interested in educating players about the disc and how it acts than these player-run retailers.

/Mission from God.

*cough* skateboarding *cough* zumies *cough* local hardcore skate shop *cough*

*cough* skateboarding *cough* zumies *cough* local hardcore skate shop *cough*
Are they a good thing or a bad thing?

They look great for the legit online retail space. But do the 500+ locations kill the indie shops? Does their mailorder side kill the local indies? Are they providing an insincere corporate approach, or is it true-bros on a grand scale?

Never heard of it, genuinely curious. I won't finish anything tonight if I go far beyond Wikipedia to learn. Thanks :)

Last edited:
[ed] I think "not until Dick pries the buzzz* from my cold dead hand" has more punch.

*insert favorite mold in your hot living hand

Zam is the Charlton Heston of Disc Golf.

#takeyourstinkinpawsoffmysportyoudamndirtyDick's

Considering that Dick's selection sucks, that their prices are sky high and that their employees don't know jack about our game, I'm not losing any sleep over them being in the DG business.

If anything, what I've discovered is that as people who buy their initial discs at a Dick's or Academy or Wal-Mart or some similar store make their way to a local course, they run into folks while they are there who are members of the local club, who not only know the discs, but end up buying their club stock from one of the biggest online vendors in the country, can get them access to most any mold available from any manufacturer, in any weight the player desires, and get that disc to the player about $2-3 cheaper. As the number of "in the know" people increases, so does the likelihood that the next batch of uninformed people who buy their initial discs at big box stores are going to run into them.

All I can say is that the employee in question's Facebook profile likely says "Works at Dick's."

when i was at the local scheels, they had a pro d buzz priced at $20.00 and a z at like 15.00....dafuq? so i told the sales person when he came by that they messed their prices up nicely. he looks at both and says no the d buzz is more because it weighs more. i about dropped a deuce right there. i laughed and told him no its the type of plastic. he stood by his guns.

also a year later a diff employee asked me three times if i needed help. i kept saying no. and on the third time i was like you dont have what im lookin for. he was like ohh what is it? i said a wraith he said they have plenty. i said i wanted a pro preflight numbers one in weights of 167-171. he stepped back, looked terrified and said yeah thats pretty specific and walked away. they did have a few preflight numbers but they were max weight so not quite what i needed.

TL;DR scheels employees are not knowledgable

i laughed and told him no its the type of plastic. he stood by his guns.

I love it when the employees insist that they know more than you, when they obviously don't. I have had a similar occurrence over disc characteristics. Being a professional cabinetmaker, I can't even step foot in the home depot anymore.

I love it when the employees insist that they know more than you, when they obviously don't. I have had a similar occurrence over disc characteristics. Being a professional cabinetmaker, I can't even step foot in the home depot anymore.

its tough to be trained on every part of the store and know a lot about every aspect. you might know everything there is about lumber but be ignorant with electrical or plumbing (not using you as an example)

^^ Dicks' in the East Towne Mall in Madison has a pretty big Innova rack stocked with discs and it took me three people just to get to the right FLOOR that it was located on...

that's a good thing ... mainstream ... what dg's been looking for .... I was blown away by Dick's .. nothing like it in Canada .... I think the the deal with dick's is get you in the store ... look at all the flashy stuff discs included and then see shoes, athletic wear etc etc .... it's a shopping paradise .. nike up the ying yang .. shorts, drifit ...that's where they make their money .... one stop shopping ... they should be a National Tour sponsor ... $100000 a year .. it would make a huge difference to that tour's payouts.

Latest posts