• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Trophy, award, bag patch?

dasteve003

So I've been playing about 3 times a week since April and I hit my first ace yesterday, super super exciting! Hole is about 180-220 ft long and hit it right off the tee (on my only tee shot of course, didn't tee off with multiple discs or anything)

The question I have is what to do celebrate it? I've seen bag patches, trophy's, and stuff like that but it there anything that is typical when you ace a hole or is it just about bragging rights that your now a member of the Ace club (if there's a different term for it let me know).

Again I'm still very new to the game and this may be a silly question but I am super pumped about it and wanted to do a little something for myself to celebrate this awesome accomplishment! Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Have a picture taken with you, the disc and the basket in it. You can retire the disc as a trophy if you so please. If you had witnesses, have them sign the disc.

And keep things in perspective. You threw a disc into a basket from a long distance off a tee pad. I'm sure it was an exciting experience, but stop equating it to some right of passage that needs more documentation than what I suggested. It wasn't like your first time getting laid or anything.

Oh, and don't be like this douche....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5flNiT7uQ8c

Most disc golfer's i know take their first ace disc and hang it up or display it but stop playing with it so they dont lose it. I have one friend who hangs up any ace disc and buys a new disc to replace it. I just take a picture of the moment and had the people im playing with sign it if they wanted to. But i keep playing with my ace discs.

Congrats! I don't have one yet, but i'd sign and date it. Other than that i'm not sure what i'd do as i've not had one to celebrate.

I have one friend who hangs up any ace disc and buys a new disc to replace it.

This is what I do. I write on the face of the disc the course, hole #, and distance and have witnesses sign the back. I'll continue to use it until I have a replacement, and then it's retired.

Given that I've only had 4 aces in my 12ish years of playing makes it easy to retire the few discs that I do throw in from the tee.

I note the ace number, the hole number, the course, the date, and, if applicable, the tourney right on the disc. But that's it. I don't retire the disc, or at least not because it is an ace disc (except for the first one, that came out of the bag quickly). To me, the only thing more special than an ace disc is a disc with multiple aces on it. Can't get a second (or third or fourth) ace with a disc if you hang it up after the first one.

Whatever you feel like doing to celebrate the throw is cool, with one HUGE exception. Don't be the douche who thinks his ace is soooo important and noteworthy that he has to let the whole world know about it by tagging the tee sign or basket with the news. Even if you're not the first to do it on a given hole (because the sign is littered with ink), don't add to the graffiti.

You can either:

A- Be a stand up guy... and mark the ace on your disc (and photo op).

B- Be a douche... and mark the ace on the park equipment (basket band, tee sign, etc).

You decide.

I retired my first one.
I originally wrote the date, hole, and length (and pointed out the dent from hitting the pole) on top and had the witnesses sign the back. Was going to keep throwing it, but a few weeks later I almost lost it in high grass and the dread in that moment made me decided it's a keepsake.
My other 2 aces weren't even with my discs.

If I were ever get a disc golf ace, I would probably do what I did when I got my lone ball golf ace: buy my buds a bunch of Buds.

First off, always have a Sharpie marker with you whenever you're out on the course. That way you can make sure you're in a position to PERMANENTLY mark the tee sign, pad, basket, and random trees along the way to show everyone that you're a special person and that you're much better at disc golf than they are. Don't forget to mark the date too. It's a historical day!!

Definitely jump on/shake the **** out of/air hump the basket. This shows your absolute dominance over it and makes it MUCH MORE likely that you'll get an ace the next time you throw at it. Obviously the basket will be super intimidated by how dominating you are.

Finally, retire that disc. It won't ever do better than an ace and DEFINITELY should not be thrown. Plus, everyone knows that frisbees look much better on people's walls than they do flying through the air. Give that disc it's due and go buy another one. Obviously.

-OR- Just mark the date and hole you aced on, grab your buddies signatures (if you'd like), and throw that disc into the chains again and again. After all, back to back aces mean that you can actually rip the basket out of the ground and take it home with you! AWESOME!! :thmbup:

Personally, I retired my first one (not an issue since I've changed putter molds in the meantime), and soon after saw a cool patch for my bag. I document my aces with sharpie inside my discs, and still have three to five of those discs in my main thrower bag, since I know how they're gonna fly. That seems to be working: my Goldline Fuse has two aces now, and my CryZtal Buzzz has three. :D

I don't feel it's a right of passage but you gotta get pretty stoked about your first ace right? I just wasn't sure if there was something most people do as I am still new to the sport.

I think I'm gonna retire the disc once I order a replacement and I did take a picture of it from the tee box and then again close to the basket but I'm not gonna mark up the signage or basket with my accomplishment. I do think it would be cool if they had a board you could write your best scores and aces on though at courses.

Thanks for all the positive input and suggestions!

I like the idea of an "ace" patch. Our club would like that when an ace is hit during league. We customarily "expect" the ace person bring beer the following week.

I like the idea of an "ace" patch. Our club would like that when an ace is hit during league. We customarily "expect" the ace person bring beer the following week.
One of our local courses has a pro shop that sells ace club stickers for your car complete with what hole and tee the ace was from

Latest posts