• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Ah Ha!" Moments

technically a A-Ha moment

^ I HATE that commercial. Pretty much any geico commercial is awful...but this one is particularly bad. I think it's the HIDEOUS girl with the short triangle haircut that really puts me off.

When I first started playing, for about 6 months I couldn't throw more than 150-175 feet. However, the only people I had to play with were people who actually started the game with me, in a small town. There was literally not even anyone who knew how to play to WATCH, much less learn from. When I went to college in a larger city, I saw people reaching back much farther than the way we were throwing, because we were throwing like frisbees. I tried it, and my first drive, windmill around my body and all, was close to 300 feet. :doh:

It was less than 6 more months before I was driving over 350 feet, and all it took really was seeing someone actually do it instead of just doing what I thought was the right way.

I had an ah-ha moment two winters ago when i was practicing in the field when it was 30 degrees outside and could reach 275ft max. I was wearing my big winter coat that was restricting my shoulder motion when driving "normally". So i noticed if i leaned forward more the coat around my shoulder was looser. So i tried driving like that, and bam, 325ft.... three drives in a row. That coat was the first step to fixing my weight balance and shoulder-plane issues, studying the technique forum rounded it out and I'm averaged 350ft now with fairways and potential 400ft drives on a good pull with a speed 12+ discs. (still have a lot to learn).

Last edited:
Grip strength was an Ah-ha for me. I always thought that I was gripping hard enough but still wasn't progressing in D. U Niced Me posted a thread about how her hand is open right after release. I looked at some video and so was mine. I was letting the disc go instead of making it force it's way out.

^^^^ i think i may be doing this now :confused: ... hard to figure out without video but gonna try and work on it

^^^^ i think i may be doing this now :confused: ... hard to figure out without video but gonna try and work on it
The easiest way for me was to actually try to get an audible snap. I know that the sound is different than the term, but in the case of release, that sound is a fairly good indicator that you're squeezing as the disc comes out of your hand.

first ace throwing BH

I pretty much realized that throwing BH isn't impossible for me

other then that no Ah-Hah moments; just lots of practice with slow discs so my fingers are sore and building callouses (hand is still healing from punching a wall a few months ago)

Just make sure you don't over obsess. The non-release rip is for drive drives. On touch shots, actual release of the disc is to be expected. At least, that's what I do, anyway. And I doubt anyone has a closed hand on a putt.

292748_262500483789613_100000889890764_831553_1568622812_n.jpg

314553_262518050454523_100000889890764_831680_1253527289_n.jpg

Throwing FH...My brother played sidearm ,I was BH...He tried teaching me his flick but I could never pick it up without turning it over..About 5 months ago I saw a viddy and it mentioned keeping your palm facing the sky...It was easy as that (well with practice) but now I can FH almost as far as my BH...Just need to work on some foot work.

My biggest ah ha moments have come since I started keeping a throwing journal. I keep a general log about what/how much I throw and have separate diaries for bh, fh, oh, rollers, putting... U get the idea

It helps me pick up where I left off and continue to build on progress made last practice

What your lower body is doing during a shot is more important that what your upper body is doing! When doing an x-step, concentrate on footwork. Craig (a pro who posts on here) said when he's throwing poorly, he thinks 'happy feet' and it get him back on track.

When I played a doubles round that had three pairs in it, two top local pros and Steve Brinster in the group...the level of control they had with their discs

Yes, a Q Sentinel can fly 375 ft...and also seeing what lines/shots they choose on certain holes. It encouraged me to really work on form and push out my mids. My control has gotten alot better because I am throwing easier-to-control discs and getting them to do what I want.

It was also cool to see him air out a 500+ ft drive...