• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Ah Ha!" Moments

Mine came when I watched a video of Nikko putting and started to wrap my index finger under instead of keeping it on the rim. My other is when a pro was watching me and told me to keep athletic and keep my knees bent instead of staning up into each shot....

My aha moment came when i finally realized to really accelerate the disc from my right pec (rhbh) so that it rips out of my hand instead of me opening my fingers. has allowed me to get 300 feet of distance with just my mids.

When it comes to drives, for years I've heard skilled players say "it's just like popping a towel." When I tried it, I would try to pop the disc like a towel. Stupid, I know. Later, I recall someone mentioning turning your arm into a whip, but I didn't put it together right away. Now that I have, and I've learned to crack that whip at the target ( e.g., basket, gap, line, etc.), I'm seeing improved accuracy and more consistency.

A few things as I'm crashing into a "deep work" phase of learning. You know, that phase where you're encountering the most stubborn patterns in your movement from a lifetime of learning (maybe more appropriately, not learning). A couple philosophy/psych tidbits to help in your struggles:

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Ebbinghaus curve: Procedural learning (like motor learning in DG) often follows learning/forgetting cycles (attached). Maybe you're on a steady incline, but you should expect diminishing returns. Then, breaks/lack of reps/focus on a different problem can tumble you back down learning curves. Over time, training "boosters" and new learning make the forgetting curve from time spent away smaller and smaller. Be patient (ha!) and attack stubborn problems until the forgetting is small.

Disc golf "ah ha" - the power for the chain starts with the feet, moving your mAss, and gravity. A lot can go wrong down there. It's worth it to figure it out.

Attachments

• forgetting_curve.jpg
    forgetting_curve.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Concept of slow to fast with golf swing

Getting elbow bent mid-swing, and how the above helps with that

Crushing the can

Bracing and understanding how the above 3 help with that

Understanding the concept that there is no such thing as a putt and that it's actually a short, forward facing throw.

Latest posts