• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Ah Ha!" Moments

What dvd is this from? Is it a beginner dvd? I've been looking for a video for intermediate level. I saw the Stokely series, but found it way too basic.

What dvd is this from? Is it a beginner dvd? I've been looking for a video for intermediate level. I saw the Stokely series, but found it way too basic.

Play the Champions Way. Dave and Kenny DVD. It's mostly basic info with a few good bits in there. It was supposed to be a series but the 2nd one hasn't shown even a rumor.

Play the Champions Way. Dave and Kenny DVD. It's mostly basic info with a few good bits in there. It was supposed to be a series but the 2nd one hasn't shown even a rumor.

Feldberg told me last year at the memorial that they'd lost money on the filming and because of that a 2nd one was either unlikely or much further down the road.

Bummer bout losing money, as a video guy I understand how easily that can happen. Hell, maybe they could sell a bunch kinda cheap for AM Division players packs? It'd probably do more good for a lotta people than another teeshirt or disc...Now back to the Marketplace to get more discs...

Hey all!

Just had an Ah-ha moment on thursday while playing a round. It was a small change that is also translatable to my drives and approaches. Ill try to explain this but i think this allows one to find that tendon bounce easily.

So i throw most of my shots RHBH. I Was missing some 20-30' putts on the right side. So i had an idea to narrow this margin of error and that was to rotate my stance counter clockwise a bit. So heres why. If u stand straight up and put ur arms straight out in front of you with palms touching. Now move ur arms like ur making a giant letter 'T' youll notice that there is only so far you can move your arms towards your back. Ur muscles tendons ligaments wont allow movement beyond a certain amount. If you use a doorway or telephone pole. You can gently get more stretching towards the rear but ur arm springs back when the extra force is removed. So i decided that this principle could be used to improve my putting accuracy. I rotate so that the momentum of the disc extends my arm into this "stretch". It makes it impossible to miss right if you are rotated properly to the target. I also noticed that the spin on my putter was much more consistent and the putter flew straight longer and faded much later.

Later in the round i used this technique in a 100'approach shot and i hit my line easily. The disc had great spin too. So ive gradually kept this feeling of that stretchy bounce while throwing further and changing up discs. Today I easily ripped a champ valkyrie 400'. Basically u wan toa accelerate the disc into the throw by slightly rotating ur body to the target so that u start to feel the disc press into your palm and It feels like gravity is pulling towrds the target. When u feel that weight clamp down on the disc and it streches ur tendons and the springs out with an incredible amount of speed.

Dan-Hyzer

For me it was when I discovered that you put a little extra on putts with a tail wind and take a little off for putts into a head wind.

Dan, I'm glad you found something that worked for you. In personal experience I found if I was consistently missing right (or left) my hand was usually pointing in that direction at the finish. Remembering to finish pointing toward the basket usually corrected it.

Driving "Ah Ha!" - Max D last summer was about 350' with an ESP Surge. Threw fairway drivers all summer and can consistently hit 400' with my Flow and 400+ with my Rampage.

Also taught myself how to forehand (with the help of Big Jerm's youtube video) the beginning of this summer which has really opened up my options on holes.

Putting "Ah Ha!" - spent 30 minutes before and after rounds last January working on my putt (pitch putt) and got it to being confident within 30 ft.

... and playing a weekly event where money is on the line (whether singles or doubles) REALLY helps you learn quick!

Driving "Ah Ha!" - Max D last summer was about 350' with an ESP Surge. Threw fairway drivers all summer and can consistently hit 400' with my Flow and 400+ with my Rampage.

Also taught myself how to forehand (with the help of Big Jerm's youtube video) the beginning of this summer which has really opened up my options on holes.

Putting "Ah Ha!" - spent 30 minutes before and after rounds last January working on my putt (pitch putt) and got it to being confident within 30 ft.

... and playing a weekly event where money is on the line (whether singles or doubles) REALLY helps you learn quick!

:clap:

I can now get beat pro wraiths 400+ relatively often, unfortunately i have not picked up the putting yet:doh:

WE WILL BE THE FUTURE OF GEORGIA DG! :|:\:eek:

Couldn't find it but here's Feldberg from his dvd

I'm deaf so I don't have chance to understand what Dave is trying to say. I would assume the towel should snap at the "hit", is that correct?

Bingo. If your timing is correct, it should. If it doesn't, you need to work on your timing :).

Thanks. Paul McBeth came to play at Jacksonville Open and my friend joking with him that he wished he replace his arm with his (we all know he can bomb big time!) and Paul answered right away in clear fingerspelling "T I M I N G" :)

I had a revelation the other day when playing with a very good pro player who is known for his monster snap. He drove a hole with a putter on a laser line from a standstill, and the way he slowly moved with his muscles flexed and then suddenly snapped at the very last, it became immediately clear to me that his snap is the same as a martial arts snap.

It's been a long time, but I have a martial arts background from long ago, so I know how to do the isometric preloading of the slow twitch muscles to produce a martial arts snap. When the muscles stop resisting each other and suddenly start cooperating at the end of the movement, that's where the sudden acceleration is produced.

I think the towel snap analogy had me confused that a disc golf snap was something else. I guess I never really learned to snap a towel that way. I didn't really connect with turning the arm into a whip either. But martial arts snap is familiar. I can connect with that.

Putttt

Later this fall I really started to visualize my putts going into basket, exspecially when it came to 30 to 40+..visualize the possible lines going to the basket and then back to my hand. Until i see what line is best. And then throwing it on the line i want...not nessisarly lookin at basket just the invisible line in the air to basket. Instead of before, just lobbin it up there just hoping for a miricle. Positive thoughts = lower scores

my ahha moment was when i picked up a 150 stingray and found out how easy it can be to throw a nice backhand roller. definetly a shot i use now that i have it! a well thrown backhand roller is a thing of beauty!

my ahha monent was when i realized i putt more accurate and farther when i dont foot foul. and to be honest, untill that day i didnt know what foot fouling was and didnt know i was doing it. that was about a month ago.....

I had an "aha" moment with FH recently. I was watching this video after posting it to a thread and something he said stuck with me. He mentioned that as you follow through up to the release on a FH throw you need to keep the disc on the same plane, that you don't want to start out hyzer and switch to a flat release as you're pulling through. It's one of the first pieces of advice I ever heard, "Keep the disc on the same plane as you pull it through," but I never fully realized what it meant, and never thought about it in relation to FH drives.

I watched some of my FH putter drives at 1/8th speed and realized THIS is why I'm turning over some putter drives and keeping others straight. It's because a lot of time swhen I try to throw them hyzer FH, I actually throw them flat, and taking the disc off its plane like that causes it to wobble horribly when it comes out of my hand. I never realized this but today when I flubbed an upshot with my axis I saw it immediately.

True! Constant positive mental conditioning!

Rephrase from Yogi: "Disc Golf is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." :)

I always thought the positive thoughts thing was BS to be honest. But lately when I step up to a putt, I look right at the middle of the pole and I tell myself, "that is where my disc is going to go." I haven't been thinking about the wind or other things that could make me miss like I used to, I've just pushed absolutely everything but focus and confidence out of my mind when I putt and it seems to be helping. I don't know if its the cause of my recent putting success but something is working.

Latest posts