• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Ah Ha!" Moments

Later this fall I really started to visualize my putts going into basket, exspecially when it came to 30 to 40+..visualize the possible lines going to the basket and then back to my hand. Until i see what line is best. And then throwing it on the line i want...not nessisarly lookin at basket just the invisible line in the air to basket. Instead of before, just lobbin it up there just hoping for a miricle. Positive thoughts = lower scores

I have experienced the same thing. My putting suffers when I am not thinking positively.

Disc weights....started out buying heavier discs. Moved down to lower weights and stopped turning over discs and focused on form. Now I throw lighter weighted discs and no high speed stuff. Shaping lines and playing much better!

When I realized I should be trying to throw the disc as straight, instead of 'playing the curve'. I knew the discs went left at the end, so I figured I would just throw them to the right so they could come back.

Then I got an 11x KC Teebird that I realized I could throw straight. Everything clicked from there.

Also, slowing down my approach. I used to run down the teepad really fast, and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting all of my momentum behind the disc. A friend of mine told me to slow it down, and now I get way more distance.

Bad "Ah Ha" moment - 7 months ago when I got serious about dg and marked off field across street in 100' increments and was throwing atleast 75' short of what I guesstimated I was throwing!

Good "Ah Ha" moment - big timing and snap improvements lately and that same field across the street is no longer big enough to practice in! It is bordered by concrete and asphault at 300 ish feet in multiple directions and I can't give discs 100% in any direction without risking banging the nice ones up. A good problem to have, field has "shrunk" a lot lately lol!

Friend told me about her putting clinic with Des and Juliana years back. They said:

(1) point your toe at the basket;
(2) aim at a link on the far side of the basket and slightly to the right; and
(3) finish with your finger pointing at the basket.

I have definitely found that aiming at a link on the far side of the basket helps me on short putts, regardless of any other style differences.

Friend told me about her putting clinic with Des and Juliana years back. They said:

(1) point your toe at the basket;
(2) aim at a link on the far side of the basket and slightly to the right; and
(3) finish with your finger pointing at the basket.

I have definitely found that aiming at a link on the far side of the basket helps me on short putts, regardless of any other style differences.

That is for spin putters -- it does work for that style.

I just watched a slow-mo Avery Jenkins drive video and could see how my timing was all off. I just went outside and delayed my reach back and pull and I was chucking a Havoc longer than ever before.
I always started my reach back as my left foot crossed behind my right. By waiting until near the end of the X step I am getting much more momentum. Everything just clicked. I can't wait to get out and see if I actually gained overall distance instead of increased average distance.

I just watched a slow-mo Avery Jenkins drive video and could see how my timing was all off. I just went outside and delayed my reach back and pull and I was chucking a Havoc longer than ever before.
I always started my reach back as my left foot crossed behind my right. By waiting until near the end of the X step I am getting much more momentum. Everything just clicked. I can't wait to get out and see if I actually gained overall distance instead of increased average distance.

This. I stumbled upon this post by prerube and then watched the same Avery video. Then I compared the Avery drive with other pro's and everyone was (more or less) doing the same thing. I realized my timing was off too! Just threw a round yesterday with the delayed reach back and everything felt more natural and effortless :clap:

Last edited:
Biggest A-ha moment is when I realized I could throw fairway drivers as far as I could throw max distance drivers. That made me break out the video camera to see why this was. Then I realized my form was off in three points (pulling in a linear plane across the body, rotating my hips before my elbow reached them, rounding with my arm). Since that day (about three and a half years ago) my distance has constantly increased and my accuracy has increased. I know pull flat across the body, close to my chest and my hips rotate when my elbow gets to them which has increased snap exponentially. I went from throwing 300 feet to 400 feet in a summer. Now, when I get all the motions correct, I can crush a Buzzz 300 feet, a Stalker 375 and my max distance up to 450.

The second biggest A-ha moment was when I realized a Comet is the most money midrange ever made. Hated them till I realized that I had a ton of OAT in my throw. Once I worked on cleaning that up, I fell in love.

I had an "ah ha!" moment when I realized that if I wanted to throw a big hyzer that carries to the left (rhbh) I should throw an understable disc. This happened on a dogleg left at my home course (hole 8 at Ellison) and was magical the first time. Before, I was throwing overstable discs on that hole because they 'go left' and they were of course spiking into the ground well short of the pin.

I then started doing the opposite as well a lot (throwing an overstable disc on an anhyzer line) and suddenly found myself to be a much better golfer than I was days before.

I got my aha moment from reading this thread. I think it was Zenbot who said his aha moment was when he realized that he was letting go of his disc instead of letting it literally rip out of his hand. I recently started focusing more on my fingerpads on the rim and making sure that I hold on for dear life until it rips out. It has helped out alot.

Had an AH HA moment recently, I have not been playing long (this season only) but I got hooked. I went out and bought any disc I liked and that looked cool. putter nuke LS Etc. Since my friend just started as well we had no idea what to do. Then I found this site and wow my game has improved drastically. Now I throw my TB on most shots and a few select others. My poor Nuke sits on a shelve while I push to throw 375-400Ft (currently about 330-345ft). I have some faster discs in my bag but they are mostly there for field work.

I'll preface this with I'm very new (just under two months). My drive landed right near the right side of a tree. I knew I had been "windmilling" and I have had a hard time correcting it. On my up shot the tree was in the way of my arm coming out, and I was forced to pull the disc across my chest without even really thinking about it. I've never had that much distance from a stand still mid range.

After that shot I was able to replicate that pull somewhat consistently now that I knew what it felt like. I know I have miles to go but that "ah ha!" moment definitely pointed me in the right direction.

Maybe if someone out there is "windmilling" put yourself up against a tree or something so your arm has no choice but to come across your chest.

^^^ That's very similar to swinging a baseball bat while standing directly in front of a fence. Makes sense to me!!

I noticed today that I was concentrating so hard pulling close to my chest that I brought the disc by accident behind my body on my reachback. This caused rounding and loss of power & accuracy. Today I tried reaching back more from the back left and keeping my body out of the way of the pull line. And then something clicked. I was no longer rounding, my follow through was better then ever and I got the same distance (or better) with less effort. Can't wait to hit the course again tomorrow :)

I was playing at the local course with a friend. It a beautiful day and being that he was more of a casual player than myself we were enjoying some beers and goofing around. Occasionally he would attempt to scuff me during my reach back, to some avail. On hole 15, with an elevated teepeed, came the moment. As he was throwing I whispered something inappropriate about his mother, then his sandle broke and he fell down and off the end of the elevated tee and proceeded to roll for a bit.

"Ha-ha"

EDIT: I think I misread the title ;)

Ah Ha! Footwork! I've pretty much been doing a one step for a long time (at least a year), because the run up was throwing off my accuracy. I saw a clinic that Nikko did last year about this time and took some video of him and the other pros throwing during the tournament. One thing I noticed was that they aren't typically taking 3 steps. More like 7, but the first four seems to be really small steps. I tried that at one point without much luck, but I was watching those videos again recently and I guess something clicked today in a tournament. Instead of trying to move forward initially, I just got my feet moving up and down in place at the beginning of my run up, like a tennis player receiving a serve. It worked! Without sacrificing accuracy at all, I outdrove all the guys on my card, and I was on the top card (in men's rec). :)

My moment came today.

I purposely did field work and practiced my drives. The big difference is that I drove from a standstill. I was hitting my normal max distance on almost every throw. No shots went wayward, no shots were thrown with way too much hyzer, or into the dirt, or any of the other junk that I do when I normally drive off the tee.

They were consistent, far (for me), and predictable drives. WHY didn't I drive from a standstill before? I'd gladly sacrifice a few feet for accuracy...but I was actually throwing accurately, AND for distance.

I always throw stand and deliver after the teepad so I don't foot fault. Now, knowing I can also drive from a standstill, my approaches will that much farther, and I'll be able to reach the farthest holes at my home course in two shots, which I never could before.

So, if your struggling with your driving shenanigans...stand there, make sure you can pivot on your front foot, reach back, shift your weight coming forward, follow through straight across the chest, and rip it flat. This has changed my game for the better. In one day.

when i realized that driving 350 is nice, but taking care of my business in the circle is so much better

Latest posts