• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

Nice! Will have to get another couple of them then. Mine doesn't fade nearly as much as the champ but it still always fades, unless if I crank it over into a headwind.

Anyone know the deal with these older Star XXL Firebirds? Good, bad? Flat or slightly domey? Super O/S or a little bit better of a thrower? And most importantly, how does it compare to the other FB's?

Just a little follow up for anyone that cares. I bought one of those XXL Star FB's and it's so money! SOOO much easier to throw and get a decent flight compared to my Luster Champ Huk Labs FB. That thing is an absolute meathook and I only use it for escape or scramble shots. Sometimes on silly holes that have crazy sharp doglegs.

But this XXL Star FB is pretty long and has a great reliable flight! I tried it out on a few holes this weekend and it wasn't that much shorter than my long driver, Streamline Trace! Maybe like 30-50' shorter. It is still a hard fading lower glide disc, but has a an actual flight in the air, haha. I threw it directly into the wind along with my bomber Instinct and they finished about 5' from each other. So it's pretty long, and yet super safe into any wind. And FH's amazing. Just sanded off that little flashing piece on the bottom of the wing where it meets the rim, and voila! Feels amazing and flies amazing.

Just a little follow up for anyone that cares. I bought one of those XXL Star FB's and it's so money! SOOO much easier to throw and get a decent flight compared to my Luster Champ Huk Labs FB. That thing is an absolute meathook and I only use it for escape or scramble shots. Sometimes on silly holes that have crazy sharp doglegs.

But this XXL Star FB is pretty long and has a great reliable flight! I tried it out on a few holes this weekend and it wasn't that much shorter than my long driver, Streamline Trace! Maybe like 30-50' shorter. It is still a hard fading lower glide disc, but has a an actual flight in the air, haha. I threw it directly into the wind along with my bomber Instinct and they finished about 5' from each other. So it's pretty long, and yet super safe into any wind. And FH's amazing. Just sanded off that little flashing piece on the bottom of the wing where it meets the rim, and voila! Feels amazing and flies amazing.

I like the Stars for BH throws. I carry two. One beat in good that turns a bit and the other is straighter to mild fade. Then I got a Sexy Bird (similar to the newer Star really) and a FAF for FH and heavy headwinds. 4 Birds cover many shots. Then I got the Tilt for exclusive trick shot / scramble disc.

I like the Stars for BH throws. I carry two. One beat in good that turns a bit and the other is straighter to mild fade. Then I got a Sexy Bird (similar to the newer Star really) and a FAF for FH and heavy headwinds. 4 Birds cover many shots. Then I got the Tilt for exclusive trick shot / scramble disc.

I never really threw Firebirds backhand until I got a Sexy Bird. I have 350-375' of power, and I feel comfortable pushing my Sexton out to 330'. I still have a flat glow for utility shots, but that Sexton is taking over more and more of my fairway shots. I'll have to try a Star at some point to see how similar the flights are for me, I'd love to get some cheaper backups.

Controversial take; Marwede Firebirds are better than Sexon Firebirds.

Sextons seem to have some shoulder and a little bit less initial stability. The Marwede ones I've run into so far are as close to the old FAF Firebirds as any I've seen. Very flat tight top and a little firmer.

I agree with this 100%. They are almost two different discs, crazy to think they come from the same mold. I enjoy both for completely different purposes.

I've been out of the game for a bit, just coming back. Looked at some of the prices of 15, 16, 17, and usdgc, Sextons… did I miss something? Why are these so expensive? They were always pricey, but this is a new level. Might have to unload my stacks in storage…

I've been out of the game for a bit, just coming back. Looked at some of the prices of 15, 16, 17, and usdgc, Sextons… did I miss something? Why are these so expensive? They were always pricey, but this is a new level. Might have to unload my stacks in storage…

If you have stacks in storage, you will make a small fortune.

Grrr. Lost my thumber disc today. It was a board flat champ Firebird. It was clear plastic and I'm actually amazed I haven't lost it sooner.

Went to a local shop for a replacement and was pretty disappointed with how much dome these newer runs seem to have. Picked up the flattest one I could find but it definitely isn't as flat as the one I lost.

At least this one is yellow so maybe it will be easier to find.

Latest posts