• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] All things Westside

^i have 2 stags like that so they are out there. Great grip nice and easy to see on the course too.

Good point on the visibility. I find my dark red, transparent VIPs to be a bit hard to spot.

This is the first Glopto disc I've had, but I've seen/held a few before and have always liked the feel. The local disc seller has a sick 170 Glopto River, opaque and gummy, that I definitely would have snagged for myself had I not converted to Underworlds. Nice to finally bag one of these.

... I definitely would have snagged for myself had I not converted to Underworlds. Nice to finally bag one of these.

I have not seen it in this thread but could you give a brief river vs underworld breakdown? If you were willing to scrap them for underworlds i am dying to know what the contributing factors were.

I have not seen it in this thread but could you give a brief river vs underworld breakdown? If you were willing to scrap them for underworlds i am dying to know what the contributing factors were.

Sure!

I'm a pretty new player who maxes out at a bit over 300', with 275' being a functional average for my drives. I've used Rivers in Gold line and Test Material, ranging from 163 to 170, and I've never had a River turn out of the box for me on a flat release: they've all be straight to fade, and will even fight out of an anny if I don't release them right (which, being a newbie, I am wont to do). I have to work to get them to turn over, at least until they beat in (which takes time in GL, and makes me paranoid about losing discs, which I am also wont to do).

The Underworld turns easily and predictably for me out of the box in either plastic. My 172 VIP holds its own in a crosswind, and can fly straight with a slight hyzer release or on lower power throws, or can hold a slow, gradual hyzer when released on a deeper hyzer angle. My 167 Tournament is awesome for slow, reliable turnovers, even on lower power throws or on low-flying tunnel shots.

I love how easy it is to turn these discs over (I throw exclusively RHBH, so perfecting turnovers is a focus of mine), and I love how the variation between the various plastics allows me to cover every line from stable to understable. The glide is at least comparable to the River's, and I've had a few throws with the Underworld that have far exceeded any other throws I've had (probably hitting 325' or so; a big deal for me). The VIP also handles the wind better than the Rivers I've thrown, although I haven't thrown a River in Opto at a comparable weight. So basically, out of the box, Underworlds can do everything Rivers can for me as well as some things that they can't, given their extra notch of understability.

There's a bunch of chatter in here about these if you'd like some more info. Suffice it to say, I'm a huge fan. :D

Super informative write up. thank you! Sounds like our throwing/arms are a bit different but we both rely on turnovers in place of forehands.

Opto rivers are indeed entirely different beasts all together than GL and that slot where I used to reach for an opto river, i now reach for my beat up gl saint.

I've been super dedicated to my GL rivers so I haven't paid much attention to the underworld thread. i will dig in now that you have my attention.

underworld = Plus rim?

Assuming you're a higher power thrower than me, I'd start with trying out a VIP, if you decide to give it a whirl. It should turn easier than a GL River, and handle the wind a bit better.

The rim is a mild plus; in my hand it seems less so than the River. More so than, say, a Leopard, and enough to get a good grip on it.

Wesside's discs vary greatly. I've owned 5 of there line in pairs if you do get one we're are unsatisfied with the stability I wouldn't stop there.

I don't want to start a new thread for this, so I want to see what ya'll recommend. I throw my drivers (see sig) between 375' to 400' feet. I want to try some new big d drivers. I want something around the same rim width (2.1-2.2 max). What do ya'll recommend between the Sword and Trespass...or maybe wait for the Renegade? I want one disc that i can buy in 3 different plastics/weights to cover different stabilities (so i can limit my distance driver molds). Thanks!

I've powered into a TP Underworld 174g with slight hyzer thinking it would have popped up and flew straight, which it did for 200ft, after that it took the largest Anhyzer dog leg I have ever thrown. Def a time and a place for this disc.

None of those molds (Sword, Trespass, Renegade) will cover the entire spectrum of distance driver stability if you are throwing over 350. The Sword is neutral-understable (hyzer-flips, turnovers, straight lines), the Trespass is neutral-overstable depending on your power (hyzers, some wind resistance, big hyzer flips, turnovers with enough power and the right plastic/weights), and the Renegade is understable 'at-speed' (easy hyzer-flips, turnovers, tailwind driver).

The Sword doesn't have as much stability in TP as it does in VIP (but probably more glide), the Trespass is least stable in Lucid and more stable in Fuzion and BioFuzion, the Renegade just got into the hands of DG'ers.

The Sword and Trespass feel fairly similar in the hand and pair well together in my experience.

I don't want to start a new thread for this, so I want to see what ya'll recommend. I throw my drivers (see sig) between 375' to 400' feet. I want to try some new big d drivers. I want something around the same rim width (2.1-2.2 max). What do ya'll recommend between the Sword and Trespass...or maybe wait for the Renegade? I want one disc that i can buy in 3 different plastics/weights to cover different stabilities (so i can limit my distance driver molds). Thanks!

Trespass is more stable than a Sword (not more OS!). Trespasses are very easy to throw 400' in a straight line. As an OS driver though they were severely lacking for me. To me a Trespass ultimately flies like a much faster eagle. The RL is slightly OS while the Lucid is stable.

The Sword is a great disc for long drives in tight fairways and tailwinds. It is stable to slightly US over the 350' mark. VIP being slightly more stable.

Honestly, I dont think either mold is good for a "cover all bases" type driver. It doesn't start off OS enough for that. Especially if you are throwing over 350'.
Have you considered the Halo? Its rim is only 2.3 I think (maybe 2.4), and flat ones are money.

Trespass is more stable than a Sword (not more OS!). Trespasses are very easy to throw 400' in a straight line. As an OS driver though they were severely lacking for me. To me a Trespass ultimately flies like a much faster eagle. The RL is slightly OS while the Lucid is stable.

The Sword is a great disc for long drives in tight fairways and tailwinds. It is stable to slightly US over the 350' mark. VIP being slightly more stable.

Honestly, I dont think either mold is good for a "cover all bases" type driver. It doesn't start off OS enough for that. Especially if you are throwing over 350'.
Have you considered the Halo? Its rim is only 2.3 I think (maybe 2.4), and flat ones are money.

I have, but I've come to the conclusion that my breaking point for rim size is at the 2.2-2.3, when i start losing that snap. that's why i was considering the westside/dd/lat64 side...because it seems they tend to have those "faster speed" longer distance potential discs with slightly smaller rim sizes.

Got a air giant and flies more like a wore in tp giant. Also the plastic is extremely gummy, nothing like the other air discs I have felt.

Got a air giant and flies more like a wore in tp giant. Also the plastic is extremely gummy, nothing like the other air discs I have felt.

Quick question for the group based on this - I was thinking of adding a Giant as a possible replacement for a 166 Z-flick that has seen better days. I carry 9 discs max so I like to see that any mold covers a couple bases. As my Flick has worn in, I can throw it backhand for easy hyzers to about 300' (I max out about 375' with a Krait), but mostly I use it for overhand and forehand stuff.

I wondered if a lighter Giant might give me that throwable OS right out of the box, yet still be stiff enough to handle typical OS duties?

Cheers,

K.

Quick question for the group based on this - I was thinking of adding a Giant as a possible replacement for a 166 Z-flick that has seen better days. I carry 9 discs max so I like to see that any mold covers a couple bases. As my Flick has worn in, I can throw it backhand for easy hyzers to about 300' (I max out about 375' with a Krait), but mostly I use it for overhand and forehand stuff.

I wondered if a lighter Giant might give me that throwable OS right out of the box, yet still be stiff enough to handle typical OS duties?

Cheers,

K.
The air giant seems to have a little bit of turn on it, but a light weight opto might work for you. You could also look at the villian

Hey everybody! I love my swords, but I have trouble finding a good overstable one(are there any?). I have gone through my local dealers stack of swords (20+) but I can't seem to find one with high PLH. So, what are my options, regarding to finding an alternative mold? Trespass or something like it? Would like to have a similar flight but more HSS and LSS. Oh, and sorry for possible language mistakes. Finnish guy here. :)

Is there anything lat/ws/DD family that is similar to a banshee? All I can think of is the stag.

Latest posts