• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Almost no Mid-West/East-Coast Players at Worlds This Year!

JHern

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Something we recently noticed...

Maybe its the bummer economy? I don't know. But the number of players from US states east of WY/CO/NM (aka, mid-west, east coast) competing in 2011 Pro Worlds is meager. There will be more players at Worlds from Sweden, than from all these states combined!

It's tight here in NC. I know a lot of the pros around here can't afford a flight out there plus all the other expenses.

That's a bummer. I really want to see how folks from out of town fair on the courses for Worlds. If no one comes then no one will know.

nikko, rico and mcbeth will be competing.

east coast doesnt produce golfers that can hang with them. :lol:

oh yeah? which ones? :D

only reason a pro would move to NC is to be put out to pasture. :lol:

Well open registration has started; most divisions have a wait list but there may be almost 100 spots still left.

Based on my estimates, for easterners it is probably $1500 minimum to play Worlds. It is indeed expensive. However, it is a shame that the playing field isn't as diverse for players from the US, since this is not just another vanilla Worlds. This tournament will go down in history, in many ways. For one, this will be the first ever event in the history of disc golf to exceed $100K in prize money, a huge benchmark for the sport. Secondly, this will be the first time a major disc golf tournament is modeled after a golf major (pebble beach), with the very best course marshals and staff recruited to run the event. The intense variety of courses is another factor that will really see the cream rise to the top, the winner of 2011 Worlds will have earned a great honor by besting their competitors on just about every kind of hole imaginable. The tournament will also see the emergence of what we hope will be disc golf's own version of "Endless Summer," and many other cultural and promotional efforts that we hope will have a global impact. Perhaps the saddest thing is that few players from out east will get to experience our courses at their very best.

But, even with the midwest and east coast largely absent, the players who are coming from these regions are among their best, and could very well win the tournament. However, California and Oregon will be well-represented, and have the highest concentration of 1000-rated players in the world, all of whom are chomping at the bit to win a world championship on home turf.

If you include Doubles money, Worlds in 2000 bested the $100,000 mark, so all who consider that a benchmark should realize its been bested once already. Didn't change our world then, won't change our world this time. Pebble Beach is not a major, by the way. Its a course where majors are occasionally held. Other events successfully mimic major event practices, as well, This should be a great Worlds, lots of fun and excitement scheduled, but when even "volunteers" are charged to participate I'm not sure if I favor the trend. There has been a clamor to have Worlds on the West coast for a long time, and players from the area have suffered each year when they have to travel elsewhere. That players from the East are not choosing to travel and stay in CA because it is too expensive should not be a surprise to anyone, particularly given the low per-player payout many have come to expect and the slow to recover economy. That the event fills with players who otherwise don't get to attend "eastern" Worlds should be taken in a positive light. Worlds won't be back soon, so catch it while you can.

Disc Golf Live said:
If you include Doubles money, Worlds in 2000 bested the $100,000 mark, so all who consider that a benchmark should realize its been bested once already.

Doubles money doesn't count. And 2000 was Pro/Am.

Disc Golf Live said:
Didn't change our world then, won't change our world this time.

Sorry it wasn't a big deal for you.

Disc Golf Live said:
Pebble Beach is not a major, by the way. Its a course where majors are occasionally held.

Locals call the major tournaments held at Pebble Beach simply "Pebble Beach," or more recently "The AT&T." Sorry this terminology isn't specific enough to pass muster for you. Maybe you can come out here some time and teach us how to speak more precisely.