• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Alpha - Power Fairway

The Alphas I ordered finally arrived. Too late in the day to get out & throw.
They were listed on the Mint site as purple. They are blue. And they don't smell at all. Not a huge issue, but based on the posts in here about the purple molds, I was really looking forward to having purple. Now I'll have to go back and re-read posts about blue molds. Unless someone could give me the lowdown on the stability of blue.:D

They were listed on the Mint site as purple. They are blue. And they don't smell at all. Not a huge issue, but based on the posts in here about the purple molds, I was really looking forward to having purple. Now I'll have to go back and re-read posts about blue molds. Unless someone could give me the lowdown on the stability of blue.:D
There hasn't been a new run of Alpha in a long time... I haven't heard anything about certain colors being more or less OS (from the 4th run Apex).

I have a yellow max weight that is plenty OS... most of the Alpha I looked at in person had the same profile except for the 169 Blues...they had a flatter shoulder (which could possibly mean a little turn but more fade).

Any talk of purple in this thread would be irrelevant to this new run.

as far as ive seen, there hasnt been much difference in flight between heavy and light weights or with any colors. its been pretty consistent with stability across the board in this run. the only thing i think may be a factor is dome and shoulder. there are some that have a small rise in the middle for a little dome and the one i threw seemed to be a little more HSS than the flat ones but it was minimal and could be user error. id say the lighter ones will just be easier to get up to speed to allow a straighter flight for a little longer than heavies but its not much difference.

there are also some that seemed to be a little more pliable and translucent , so those may be ones that could fly differently but i have yet to throw one to confirm. (based on previous runs of translucent apex, they usually are less HSS stable than the norm)

and as far as the color issue, i recall seeing them post about some sort of glitch that happened after they turned the site on for the release. some color swatches didnt match the color selected but they fixed it afterwards.

the purple i saw werent dark or deep purple, they were more of a light purple , when it transitioned from pink to blue or something.

^^
Thanks y'all for the info.
Was going to go out today & give my new Alphas a test drive, but the whole work thing & limited daylight. Ya know.
Probably won't get the chance until Thursday.

I am so ready for these.....................................

picture.php

I read either on fbook or the 'gram today, I believe ZJ said that these cover a pretty decent spectrum of stability. More like the early runs than the newer ones, where there was somewhat straight all the way to beefcake. Apparently the domey ones are the less overstable ones.

Should be cool, I have 25+ alphas between all the runs, the royal plastic, etc, but I still want a couple with a gorilla on them. :D

I lost one of my Teebird3s recently and am using it as an excuse to try new molds and I've really been digging MVP's plastic. Looking to slot something in between my resistor and crave/ascend. What are the key real world differences between the Alpha and the Grackle? Which one fits that straight to gentle fade bill better?

I lost one of my Teebird3s recently and am using it as an excuse to try new molds and I've really been digging MVP's plastic. Looking to slot something in between my resistor and crave/ascend. What are the key real world differences between the Alpha and the Grackle? Which one fits that straight to gentle fade bill better?

You're definitely looking for a Grackle for that slot. The Grackle is going to have a much more gentle forward pushing fade thrown at say 300' of power, than the Alpha. My guess would be that it would pretty much split the difference between Resistor and Crave.

The Grackle and Alpha two of the more similar discs in Mint's lineup, but they're still very noticeably different. The Alpha is listed as an 8 speed, but rim width is more like a 9 or even what some companies call a 10. It's a very controllable disc, and I don't have a big issue with the Mint numbers of 8/4/0/2, but for me personally I'd say the average Alpha is more like 9/4/0/2.5. That's with throwing my fairways 325' on average.

The owners are very good disc golfers (close to 1000 rated) and I've always suspected that had a lot to do with the flight ratings being seemingly more high power slanted on a lot of Mint molds. I'm looking at you, Diamondback. :D

Anyone grabbed any new eternals? Interested to hear reviews and comparisons with Apex

I did - out of the Mint stable, I only throw the Apex Freetail, Grackle, and Jackalope at this point. Trying to get my brother to give Mint Discs a try. He likes Champion plastic (ie. Sidewinder, Roc, Eagle) so I want to see what he can do with Eternal plastic.

I bought some of the new eternal in a couple of different weights (167 and 174). Both of the discs have a similar hand feel and amount of dome as the 4th run apex alphas. The 167 has a slightly higher parting line than any of my other alphas.

The 174 eternal flys like my ever-so-slightly beat 174 apex. Feel and grip is probably the determining factor for which will go in my bag.

The 167 eternal flies the same as the other alphas, but it's much easier to get up to speed. Because of this, I can throw it with a little anny and get it to hold pretty straight for most of the flight as it pans to flat. I can also pull over on it and have it hold the angle for a fair bit in a way that the heavier ones won't. It seems to have more integrity than the 169 apex I have.

I can throw these 300' ft+ with 80% power. I was hoping this run of eternal would be a little domier with a bit more glide, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I love this plastic, but I might re-audition other discs to fill this slot depending on how these suckers beat in.

Latest posts