• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Alright, gonna buy some new discs

Rameka

Par Member
Here's what I'm thinking...I'll just list all the discs I have/am thinking of getting/have thoughts about and you guys can give me feedback if you feel like it.

Putter:
Challenger - I have one in FLX but it's way too goddamn floppy. It's nice and sticky for putting, but for long approaches, it's not as predictable as I'd like. I'm thinking of getting one in Pro-D and seeing how I like it.

Mids:
Roc - I have one in Glo, and...I didn't really fall in love with it like most people seem to. It was decent for the first little bit. It took about a month to beat in, and then it was PERFECT. Uhh, well, perfect for all of a week or so. Then it beat into a turnover disc. I barely touch it anymore :eek:
Buzzz - I'm thinking this is the next mid I'll try. I'll buy it in Pro-D and if I like it, I'll get it in Z to keep it from beating into a roller.
Wasp - Discraft's Roc? It seems like basically a Roc that has more plastic options to me. I'm not sure why this disc isn't way more popular.
Sentinal - if I need a really overstable mid, I'll try this one.

Fairways:
Whippet - I throw forehand a lot, so I definitely want to have a hog like this in my bag.
Sabre, XL, Gazelle, Teebird - These all look like they are or could become great turnover discs. I own a Polaris LS right now for that slot, but it's a bit light...165. I use it more for overhands than anything else, actually.
Firebird, Predator - Both look like great overstable discs for overhand and forehand. I'm torn between the two, as I have tried neither.

Distance:
Crush - Love it. No complaints here. My ESP one broke in to the point of being very straight, so I'm thinking I'll get a couple more: one in Z to keep overstable, and maybe one in Pro-D to get beat into a long range roller/turnover disc.

Does this look like a good lineup? Any overlap? Other thoughts? Thanks.

Look at the Leopard as well for a turnover disc. I have a 170g DX that I can make do whatever I want. I will be getting one in Champ plastic as soon as my DX becomes to beat up.

I fell in love with the buzz from the first day I got it. I have a 178 and 176 Elite-Z. They are extremely straight and can go quite a ways once you get used to um.

Putter all I can say is I throw Wizards. I think putters really are about personal feel more than anything.

Was the Roc you have a flat top glo or a domey glo? If it wasn't the flat top I would highly recommend getting one. If it was a flattop I would try a Buzz. I think Buzz's are more like Roc's and Wasp are the overstable cousin. Not 100% on that though.

I would definately try a Firebird, but make sure you get a flat one. The recent runs have been pretty good with this. I have a Champion TeeBird I have used over a year and it still goes straight for me so not sure how it would work for a turnover disc. I would highly recommend a Sidewinder if you haven't tried one.

As far as the distance driver I've always felt if it's not broke don't fix it :). From I remember about the Crush it reminded me of an Orc so maybe try one of those if you are looking for something new to try.

I have a Gateway E-Series Sabre if you are interested (7/10). You can just send me a PM if you want to trade or purchase it. I am just letting you know because I know that it is not often that you will find these to buy at tournaments and usually only online.

Just get a maxed out, run of the mill, Dx Rancho Roc. Trust me. Best $8 and change you can spend. That being said, I like my 171 ESP Buzzz. If you like the Challenger, try a Discraft Magic. They have nice, rounded, low profiles. A very comfortable putter. I prefer the Warlock though. The Banshee is a good little fairway driver for forehand as well. 2nd the TeeBird and Sidewinder recommendations.

I am a huge fan of the Buzz, I don't think you will be disappointed. I have one in FLX and it is great. I also recommend the Teebird, it is a great and extremely reliable disc.

I own almost all the ones you named.
The Challenger is my most favorite putter, I currently have 9. The elite X soft is my favorite plastic followed by FLX the CryZtal Z is great for durability also use it for a driving putter stays stable longer than the soft ones. I have not used a pro d version I think they wear to fast. My buzzz's are the most used disc in my bag I have had this disc in every plastic except ChryZtalFLX it is rare and hard to find. My Z is great for drives. FLX for touch shots when I want it to stop and not skip. Elite x for turn overs. Never thrown a Sentinal I use a drone for overstable mid I have 2 one in pro d and FLX I thought the wasp was to close to the buzzz for me so I don't have one.
The XL and Tee-Bird are great disc in any plastic and weight. The XL in Pro D is a good turn over driver. Just my .02 cents
hope this rambling helps.

My personal opinions on your choices:
Challenger: I dislike all discraft putters for the purpose of putting. Gateway for me

Rocs: There are 3 different molds so each one is drastically different. Find a mold you like. Glow rocs are probably the worst rocs there are. Also, the Roc has far more plastic choices than the Wasp, you just can't buy all of them at normal dealers. Try a Cro. Similar flight characteristics, completely diff feel.
Buzzz: Great disc. I prefer Rocs, but they are two completely diff discs. Personal preference. Can't go wrong with one though.
Wasp: Mediocre midrange. Many overstable midranges are better. Same goes for the Sentinel. Try a Drone, Gator, Cro

Whippet: The best get out of trouble disc with overhand and sidearm spikes. Not a versatile disc by any means. I would make this one of your last choices. Won't do much for your game.
Teebird/TL: Incredible discs. Everyone should have either one. TL is more understable. I have both in my bag. TL would be a far better choice for turnover or hyzer flips though.
XL: will be too understable. Not really a straight disc unless you lack power.
Sabre: You can live without it. I have one and it doesn't get much play time. Kind of a disc that overlaps better choices.
Gazelle: Good disc, but more for weaker players. Easily one of your most controllable discs though.
Firebird/Predator: I have tried both. Firebird def wins, but the Pred is still a great disc. Firebird should be in any sidearm player's bag for control shots. The flatter the Firebird the better. Preds for me are less stable. I use FLX Preds for spike hyzers.

Crush: Awesome disc. You already know. I like to rock it in the Z plastic.

Last edited:
i recently started using the discraft zone as my main putter and i love it....i was using a challenger in pro-d and yeah they get beat in real fast when you use them as a putter cause of hitting the chains so many times...definetly get it in a better plastic if youre using it as a putter...but for an approach disc its great in pro-d (for me anyways)...just picked up an elite z wasp, elite x buzz, and elite z predator the other day too...i really like all of them, they just feel better to me then my innova discs, plus i gotta rep the local company

You mentioned the challenger for long approaches, I just bought a champ rhyno for the drives and approaches from about 200' and its great. I know most ppl prefer it in soft pro but the champ is nice and overstable for throwing with power as it keeps a straight line the whole way

yeah i have the pro rhyno as my windy day putter....doesnt get out of the bag much but i still practice putt with it and i like it...maybe when my challenger is done in a few more months ill buy a champ rhyno and try it out as an approach disc

I've really come to like gateway putters like the magic :) and I've recently picked up a Ching legacy and Star Cro to add to my midrange collection. So far that's my midrange lineup, those two and my buzzz. The rocs I have are back in the vehicle. The legacy can also be used as a putter on a windy day, the feel of that disc when I picked it up just said BUY ME!

As a fellow sidearmer, let me make a couple of recommendations. I currently drive with my TeeRex, QK II or Discraft Reaper. All awesome discs for sidearming!!
Now I generally backhand my approaches and midrange shots, so I've been using an Innova Coyote and an Innova Hydra. I know it's a floater, but I'm trying to beat it in and am actually starting to really like it for certain shots.
Putter - I like Gateway's SSS plastic and I love my Warlock putter. If you don't like it so floppy, you may want to try the different level's the putter's softness, I know Gateway makes 4 types that go from pretty stiff to pretty soft. That's my two cents.

Latest posts