• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Altitude and Climatic effects on flight

As a native of Atlanta, one of the worst-5 allergy cities in the country, I want a study on how air pollutants, such as pollen, affect the flight of balls and discs.

speaking of aerodynamics and lift, don't planes have to go faster at higher altitudes to achieve the same amount of lift?

In a way of speaking, yes. A rule of thumb is that your true airspeed (at a given indicated airspeed) increases 1 percent for every thousand feet above sea level. Hot and dry climates can also thin out the air.

Basically, it means less hang time, more speed at high, hot and dry courses. I've played from 5000 ft to sea level, and I really don't think I throw hard enough for this to make a difference. Even at 10000 feet, if you threw 50 mph, the difference between the discs ground speed (in a no wind situation) and what it would comparatively "feel like" at sea level, is only 5 mph.

5mph is ~7.3 feet per second. That's a significant distance increase over a several second flight. But that's also at 10000'.

If its anythig like Golf I could expect 25% more distance. I moved to Colorado for a summer and worked at a golf resort ( where Kobe Bryant had his little excapade). While playing there I noticed I was able to hit the ball about 25% further. Normally I had been hitting the ball like 250 yards with my driver, and out there I had brought that up to about 290-300. Some of this might have been more confidence I was going to hit it further and some of it may have been actual climatic change. We were at about 9000' and it was considered high desert.

5mph is ~7.3 feet per second. That's a significant distance increase over a several second flight. But that's also at 10000'.

Faster yes, but again less "hang time," because the disc "feels like" it's going slower than it actually is, and loses lift sooner.

The disc at lower altitude may be going 10 percent slower, but if it "hangs" in the air longer, it might compensate for the lower speed to get the longer distance.

Factor in winds and it's a whole new discussion. Your ratio hang time to speed for best distance varies. With a headwind, speed is more important than hang time. With a tail wind, hang time more than speed.

This thread has still not answered the altitude issue. Do overstable discs become less stable and understable discs become ridiculously understable? I need to know for this weekend.
When I played in Weed, CA I found that my eagle was a go to disc and my others were very unpredictable. Any of you mountain folks can set me straight?

i hadnt found much of a difference the 3 times i was in colorado. i treated everything the same and it seemed like the flight paths and stability were the same..

I have notices when I play above 4000' all my plastic gets much more stable and goes about 25'-50' less.

i was at courses around 6000' going all the way over 10000' which were literally on top of the mtns. granted i didnt put a lot of thought to the altitude effecting my discs, they seemed normal to me. i wouldnt change your bag up unless you really notice a difference after throwing a round..

This thread has still not answered the altitude issue. Do overstable discs become less stable and understable discs become ridiculously understable? I need to know for this weekend.
No, quite the opposite. We've had some Colorado folks head this way for tournaments and I've heard a number of them state their discs were were going flippier than usual at the lower altitude.

From talking with Kachtz after his experience in the competition there is a valid reason the Big D in the Desert is held where it's held elevation/humidity wise. The constant wind is obvious, but the location is supposedly the elevation, humidity, wind trifecta.

I see, I will have to just see when I get there. This happens every time I go to Tahoe. Thanks for the responses.

Latest posts