• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I a bagger?

Dayute

Bogey Member
I've been playing for over ten years, havent played a tournament in almost that long and only played a couple of Am's. For the last year I've been recovering from multiple major shoulder surgeries and have only been back playing for about a month. I now have to drive RHBH and I was always a RHFH player before so its like I'm really learning the game over. I want to play in a tournament this weekend and was wondering if it'd be OK for me to play Novice. Would it even be worth the money (money is tight b/c of my mountain of medical bills.) Whats the usual payout for Novice division? I know I'd probably finish close to last if I were to play AM's but since I've been around the game for so long is it ok to play Novice?

How they do payouts for Novice is kinda a regional tradition/phenomenon. It is usually low and flat (meaning 5th place gets almost the same as 1st or 2nd). In general a larger percentage goes to the players' pack so less goes to the payout.

I do not think you would be bagging. Your driving is still new as you say, but you will probably have an advantage in your putting. I wouldn't sweat it.....if you win big, play in the next higher division next time. Of course, you could also contact the TD and ask for guidance. Be ready to give him/her your typical score you shoot on a given course.

The main thing is........have fun!

Since when did they change Rec to Novice anyways, or is this just a regional term too?

There are 4 AM divisions in most PDGA events. The 4 divisions are: Advanced, Intermediate, Recreational, and Novice. Granted there can be a womens group for each of these. This also leaves out the other age restricted AM groups like advanced masters and juniors. Some areas play according to PDGA guidelines, while other areas everyone seems to "play up."

Last edited:
I wouldn't fault you for playing Novice. But if you've been playing for 10 years, you probably putter better than and more consistent than most Rec players. So I think you'd be competitive in Rec unless it's a course that really favors distance.

There's no Rec division in this tournament its either Novice or Intermediate. I've found that getting decent drives out to 300' consistently is a lot easier than getting my putting back since the surgery. Its all about muscle memory and mine is just all messed up. Sucks that my arm works in a different way than it used to.

Honestly you could play Intermediate. The only tourneys I've played are on the SNDG circuit (I see you're from Mobile) and Novice is filled with people who can't throw 200'. They usually play from short tees.

More importantly than the distance though - you know HOW to play. Decision making skills often win these lower divisions more than skill level, unless someone is bagging.

Honestly you could play Intermediate. The only tourneys I've played are on the SNDG circuit (I see you're from Mobile) and Novice is filled with people who can't throw 200'. They usually play from short tees.

More importantly than the distance though - you know HOW to play. Decision making skills often win these lower divisions more than skill level, unless someone is bagging.

Well crap, I dont want to play from the short tees :wall:. It is a SNDG event so I guess the level of play will be real low. I'm just gonna ask the TD (need to run by his house anyways) and some friends where I should be. I just don't feel like getting completely pummeled in Intermediate.

Based on what you have said, 300' drives and putting that hasn't come back. However even on a good day a Novice is still shooting six strokes over par at best. At least on most courses. So, I would say it depends more on how you are playing score wise as it is hard to judge approching and putting ability.

I'd play where ever you felt competitive. I've seen guys that sound better than you bag in the Rec. division, so at the very least you couldn't be the worse bagger in the world. Just have fun.

I just got absolutely slaughtered on one of the harder courses we have here. Yesterday I hit even on a much easier course but I probably hit +20 today.:wall: Seems like I just couldnt stay out of the shule and I didnt have half the D I needed to play this course (was playing all holes as 3's though.) Today was an especially bad day though I think the progress I've made in the last month is phenomenal. Just gonna ask the TD, I've never played the two courses on this tournament anyways so I'll be playing against the local novices who know the course well.

If you're talking about the Blue Angel tourney I would ask Mike Sidebottom or Jim Orum what they think... I'll let you know right now that the Am winner will be well under par... probably around 10 under. There always seems to be a few people in the area who don't move up to advanced until they've really cleaned up ams....

Of course, in either division you'll be getting a players pack with a disc or a towel, so at least you won't come home empty handed...

If you're talking about the Blue Angel tourney I would ask Mike Sidebottom or Jim Orum what they think... I'll let you know right now that the Am winner will be well under par... probably around 10 under. There always seems to be a few people in the area who don't move up to advanced until they've really cleaned up ams....

Of course, in either division you'll be getting a players pack with a disc or a towel, so at least you won't come home empty handed...

Yeah thats the one, everyone here in Mobile always bitches about the damn baggers so I didnt want to be one of them. Jim is the one that talked me into playing so I'm sure he'll direct me in the right way. I think the fact that my fastest drivers are Vikings (except for a beat wraith I use as a roller,) helps a lot too.

However even on a good day a Novice is still shooting six strokes over par at best. At least on most courses.

What courses are you playing where non-bagging novices shoot +6? That's what Rec scores on an average course, lol. I averaged +5 @ Trace Open Am's last year and came in 7th in Rec.

It really is a regional thing, as well as the difficulty of the course. If you don't mind being called a bagger, play the lowest division. If you're worried about it, then don't. It sounds to me like you're worried about it. ;)

Most tourneys pay out with the newest (fastest) discs on the market. If you are throwing Viking speed discs, you may end up winning discs that are beyond your current level.
This happened to me. I used them as trade bait.
Play this tourney at a lower level. No one will give you crap if they know your situation. You will be able to guage your performance and decide what group to play in on your next tourney.
Good luck.

Play Int. I don't think you would have as good a time playing with the novice guys.

Play Int. I don't think you would have as good a time playing with the novice guys.

I think I kind of feel the guy's pain though. I would also probably choose to play Int (or even more likely not go), but around here there's no Novice division and there's a rather large skill disparity between Int and Rec. I've played almost a year and I get pretty well trounced in Rec. I'd say anyone who has played more than a few months probably shouldn't play Novice, but if the only other category is Int, guys at a certain skill level are completely hosed.

Latest posts