• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] am i ready for a valkyrie?

gianetics

Birdie Member
i have been playing about two years, and for about 1 year i was rhfh off the tee. i stuck with it because it flew about 100ft further than my bh. i can hit 350 real distance on most throws, and max out at about 400ft golf distance (fh).
the problem is the throw is so sensitive to nose angles and oat. i have a pretty good for and can fh the undertable stuff as well but the bh is much more forgiving. i have been discing down for the last two months. played some putter only rounds and was pretty impressed how far they can fly. i am wondering if i am ready for jumping up to something like a valk.

my distances

175 kc pro aviars 225-260

174 flx buzzz 250-280

167 star eagle 275-325

164 z stalker 260-300

you guys think im ready for a true driver? what worries me is the my buzzz goes dam far im usually near the 275 mark and my eagle is usually in the 300 mark so my average distance gain between my mid and fairway is only 25ft.

I am kinda in the same boat... I'm addicted to my Buzzz because it goes up to 300 so accurately and my fairway drivers give me very little added distance. My faster drivers are so inconsistent (or should I say--my form when throwing them sucks!).

When teeing off on a 350 hole I'm tempted to put my Buzzz right smack in the fairway at 275-300 and have an easy upshot, but for some reason my testosterone takes over and I pull out the Beast or Valk and throw into a tree or lake.

I'll be watching this thread b/c I'm interested to see what folks say.

It's up to you man. I know these guys on here give alot of advice but the discing down thing is getting a little ridiculous. If you want to throw a valk...go ahead. It's not like your form will be ruined or anything from it and if it doesn't work, keep working at it. You will never be able to throw big arm drivers unless you try. It's all about feeling comfortable with your game and it looks like you are doing pretty good with your middy and fairways.

Switching to backhand is a process and It takes time to do it well. I started out playing forehand for a couple years until I realized that I'm going to hurt my arm and not get as much distance in the long run. What I did was threw my forehand on longer holes so I could reach them and threw everything else backhand. Overtime, slowly start turning those forehand shots into backhands as long as you are getting more comfortable with it.

I suggest start throwing an Avenger SS backhand for your distance drivers and start working your way up to overstable stuff over time.

Give it a go. If you play with your Valk, you'll see whether or not you're ready. If you're getting the line and distance out of it that you want, then that's what you need to throw. Who cares if you can throw 800' if the longest hole on the course is a 450' par 4? If you can throw your Aviar anywhere you want it, then throw the Aviar, if a Valk gets the job done for you, throw the Valk. The whole point of discing down, and working with different discs is to be able to put the disc in the hole with as few strokes as possible (shocking I know), so throw whatever gets that job done.

I don't think it will hurt. It may help you diagnose nose angle problems if you have them. I'd make sure to keep all of the discs you listed, though. The Valk won't replace the Eagle.

The relatively small jumps in distance are normal. Don't expect a distance driver to go too much farther than your Eagle, either.

FWIW, I find that working on "snap" is easiest with slower discs. I'm able to "get it" much more often with Rocs and Gazelles than I am with any speed 9+ driver.

i know that throwing the stuff is the only way to learn it. im going to work and picking up a valk or sidewinder regardless of the post. i just want some input, im really trying to improve. played the otter open a few months back and my fh was just not there, i was turning and burning everything. the fact it rained the for the entire day didnt help either. but not having a reliable bh off the tee really killed my score.

i have been playing about two years, and for about 1 year i was rhfh off the tee. i stuck with it because it flew about 100ft further than my bh. i can hit 350 real distance on most throws, and max out at about 400ft golf distance (fh).
the problem is the throw is so sensitive to nose angles and oat. i have a pretty good for and can fh the undertable stuff as well but the bh is much more forgiving. i have been discing down for the last two months. played some putter only rounds and was pretty impressed how far they can fly. i am wondering if i am ready for jumping up to something like a valk.

I say YES YES YES. I was in the exact same boat as you, buddy. I threw FH but found it was quite inconsistent, especially when trying to max distance. I actually ended up having to throw OS plastic to mask OAT issues. I then decided it was time to grow up and get consistent. So... I picked up a Star Valk (170g I think). It took a lot of practice learning BH form, but the Valk was right there with me. Before I knew it, I was throwing the Valk 325ft easily and consistently.

Eventually my form and technique improved enough that the Valk was too understable for me. I now throw the Boss and Destroyer 425ft pretty easily but I'll never forget my first Valk bridging the gap for me. Hopefully it can do the same for you!

I was in the same boat a while back. So I stepped up and grabbed an actual driver. If you really want to learn how to throw it, dont throw it that much on an actual course at first. Field work with the driver is what got me over the gap. For me, I found that when I first used the driver on the course I would just try to throw it as hard as I could because, hey, its a driver and I should be able to get max distance with this thing. Needless to say, in hindsight I realize what a noob I was being. So I got out there and did field work as much as I could until I felt comfortable throwing the drivers with ease like I did with my buzzz. Good luck and happy discing!

Valks fly pretty good in dx, I'd go ahead and grab a 170ish weight and see. if you like it.

The Valkyrie was the first driver I owned and is still the Goto driver in my bag. Star plastic now though.

Learn to love your Valkyrie and your Valkyrie will love you back

I don't think it will hurt. It may help you diagnose nose angle problems if you have them. I'd make sure to keep all of the discs you listed, though. The Valk won't replace the Eagle.

The relatively small jumps in distance are normal. Don't expect a distance driver to go too much farther than your Eagle, either.

FWIW, I find that working on "snap" is easiest with slower discs. I'm able to "get it" much more often with Rocs and Gazelles than I am with any speed 9+ driver.

I completely agree with this. I say go ahead and try one out. The Valk was the first driver that was really nose angle sensitive for me so it will punish you for throwing nose up.

Yeah I throw a 175g Star Valkyrie and I love the thing. It is definitely a consistent and dependable disc. Mine has beat in a bit, so I can control for shots going left, straight, turnover drives and I can put an anny on it pretty confidently.

...the first driver I owned and is still...

Learn to love your Valkyrie and your Valkyrie will love you back

I'll second that. I have learned more about (and improved) my own technique & form because of my valks than any other disc.

Latest posts