• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I the only one who can't throw a disc 200 ft.?

Boneman

So I picked up this game about 7 months ago and was immediately hooked. And, as with all things that I enjoy doing, I soon set about the task at improving my play. I researched discs, watched every Youtube instructional video I could find, read just about every forum thread here, and have been going out to the field near my house to practice a couple of times a week.

And after all this, I still can't throw my Buzz, my Stingray or my Leopard 200 feet. A good drive for me maxes out at about 180.

I understand the mechanics: Holding the disc like you're shaking hands, the tight grip, all four fingers under the rim, thumb straight, cross step, reach back, face away from the target, don't bend too far forward, pull straight through your core, turn the hips, then the shoulders, the flick at release, while you open up and follow through. On a good day, I can put some of these together, but even on my best day I can't get my body to coordinate it all at once.

I don't care about approaches and putting at this point, because I know those things will come eventually - that part of the game is a lot about feel and repetition. I don't even care about my score on the course, at least not right now. All I want is a little more distance. After this much time and effort, I don't get the impression that 200-250 feet is an unreasonable expectation.

I hate to admit it but it's frankly a little frustrating - I can't seem to train myself to get to the point that seems like falling off a log for so many of you. I hate to think I've reached the peak of my abilities at such an early stage.

I realize this is a little on the whiny side (can you tell I just came off the course?!), but I just wanted to throw this out there and pose the question: Does anyone else share this misery, or am I on my own little island of ineptitude?

Which of your discs goes the farthest? What are the flight paths?

You could get specific tips if you post a video in the techniques forum.

You're not alone. A lot of people have trouble figuring it out without someone there to guide them. I've seen guys struggle to hit 100'!

Posting a video would be a tremendous help. Also if you are willing to post your location, you might find a member willing to help you out in person!

Which of your discs goes the farthest? What are the flight paths?

You could get specific tips if you post a video in the techniques forum.

There's not much difference really, but if I had to pick one it would probably be the Stingray. Which oddly enough is also my heaviest. But in actuality, there is no real difference. I have two drivers and two midrange, and they all go about exactly the same distance.

The Buzz veers left, the Stingray goes right, the Champion and Leopard both go left. All of these flight paths occur pretty much right after release. On a night when I have some speed happening, the Buzz actually flies pretty straight all the way to landing.

I found an old Comet in the bushes a few nights ago and started goofing around with that, and it finishes sharp right at descent.

Thanks for the response :)

How old are you, and do you have any injuries?

I'm 48 and in reasonable shape. But very poor flexibility. I also tend to fart during my cross step run up. I've tried to use that to generate more power but so far no luck.

You're not alone. A lot of people have trouble figuring it out without someone there to guide them. I've seen guys struggle to hit 100'!

Posting a video would be a tremendous help. Also if you are willing to post your location, you might find a member willing to help you out in person!

I've been trying to work up the nerve to post a video. I think maybe I'll do that. Thanks!

What are you throwing now?

I have a Buzz which seems to be the most reliable disc in my collection, and the one I drive with primarily. For drivers, I own a Leopard and Monarch but I never use them because they fly so far left they're useless. I throw RHBH.

I also use a Stingray from time to time, but I seem to jerk that one to the right on release. Not sure why that is.

I'm not quite where you are, I max out around 250-275' on a good backhand throw, and maybe 325-350 on a forehand.

I definitely know the feeling though, I just can't seem to get backhand form down at all. I really only play alone or with another friend of mine that's as new as I am so really nobody to guide me. I've taken a few videos of myself to figure out what I"m doing wrong, and I know what I need to correct, I just need to get myself out to a wide open field and throw for a bit and practice it.

Been playing since March.

I would skip any kind of x-step for now and throw from a standstill. Read some of the other threads where Sidewinder has responded. He is our resident guru.

Mike C has also posted some good videos that you can check out on thediscgolfvids on YouTube.

Would you say you're throwing the disc up, as opposed to forward? What is the angle between the ground and the disc flight, in other words.

I would skip any kind of x-step for now and throw from a standstill. Read some of the other threads where Sidewinder has responded. He is our resident guru.

Mike C has also posted some good videos that you can check out on thediscgolfvids on YouTube.

Okay, I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks BigSky.

Would you say you're throwing the disc up, as opposed to forward? What is the angle between the ground and the disc flight, in other words.

I really try hard to release it level, and usually I succeed at that at least. It does go skyward from time to time though.

I'm 51 now and it took me about a 1 full year of practicing before I could throw 300ft. I'd say the first few months I was at 100-125, then at 6 months I was at 200, at around the 8-10th month I started throwing around 250-300ft. Now after almost 3 years of playing I regularly throw 300-350ft drives with the occasional "perfect" drive 400ft+. So I'm not so sure there is anything "wrong" with your current progression. As one person told me, it just takes time for everything to mesh and the older you are, the longer it will take due to the possibility of working certain muscles for the first time in years. I'd say keep on going and in the mean time, post a video with all of your details including age, how long you've been playing, etc, etc, and you'll get some excellent advice to help improve your game.

I'm 51 now and it took me about a 1 full year of practicing before I could throw 300ft. I'd say the first few months I was at 100-125, then at 6 months I was at 200, at around the 8-10th month I started throwing around 250-300ft. Now after almost 3 years of playing I regularly throw 300-350ft drives with the occasional "perfect" drive 400ft+. So I'm not so sure there is anything "wrong" with your current progression. As one person told me, it just takes time for everything to mesh and the older you are, the longer it will take due to the possibility of working certain muscles for the first time in years. I'd say keep on going and in the mean time, post a video with all of your details including age, how long you've been playing, etc, etc, and you'll get some excellent advice to help improve your game.

I really appreciate this post. Sounds like you and I started at about the same age, DiscFifty. I can only imagine how good it must have felt the first time you nailed the 250 mark! Thanks for the perspective, and I will post that video. Plus I think I'm going to take the earlier advice and throw from a standstill for a while - maybe the run up is distracting me from the technique required.

BTW, I checked out your facebook page. Congrats on the 2nd place finish :)

No prob BoneMan and thanks for checking out my fb page. ;) I basically use it as an online diary of my dg career and hopefully it will be interesting to look back at in a year or so. lol..

I should add, I did take a few lessons around the 250ft mark. The 2 things that stood out from those lessons were: "throwing level as if you're arm is on a table" and "learn to throw your putter straight/level at full power". The interesting thing about the x-step for me is, I only use it when I need to throw 325 or better. Anything shorter and it's a 1 step and throw. And finally...at some point..I can pretty much guarantee you're going to throw 250+ or more and think..."wtf just happened!!". And you'll try to do it again and it won't work...all of a sudden..250ft+ again!" Yep...that's what usually happens..all of a sudden things just start clicking and you're average throw has increased dramatically. Now days, it's amazing how relaxed I appear to be throwing. I actually have modeled my throwing off of "Will Shusterick". He has the smoothest, most relaxed form I have ever seen. If you haven't already..research that young buck and you'll be amazed. He has a great driving video on youtube as well. Here he is in slow motion. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKPZmZDxP9s

Like others have said, there's a lot of people who are or have been where you are. I started a year ago at age 58 and for the first few months I was all over the place and short. Stick with it, focus on the small things and don't beat yourself up because you're not meeting your own expectations. Switch it up between field work, playing rounds, researching/reading these forums, watching videos, playing with better dg'rs, etc... There's a lot of great information, experience and help from the people on this forum.

Try and focus on the small improvements over time. "I didn't lose a disc this round". "That throw was flatter and further with less effort". "I actually par'd a hole!". "I now get 'moving my body around the disc'". There is a lot more timing, technique and feeling to throwing these discs than I ever imagined. It takes your body and your head time to put it all together. After a year, I am finally getting my better drives out to 300'. Keep throwing and learning and it will come...

This is solid info

This is what is was going to say as well. I only do a stand still and one step shots off the tee. Saves you all the confusion of trying to get your body right and figure out too many mechanics before you can actually throw a disc properly at first.

This will also improve your accuracy too. Just think smooth as you pull through to the hit with a nice flat finish and try not to kill it. When I try too hard I have a habit of turning my wrist over and throwing the ever right turning shot.

I don't throw that far. I max out at just over 300 feet on the course sometimes. My average drives on the course are around 250 to 280 ish ( depending on the shot needed ) when I am doing my part and that is just with a "one-step".

Last edited: