• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

am i throwing too fast of discs?

i have a 175g viking and i like it for a few different shots especially fh and rhbh through tight woods even though i have yet to hit the 300ft mark consistently. another good disc you could try is a star starfire.

if you're asking, then yes you are. Throwing overstable disc when you don't generate the speed needed for them can lead to bad form/technique.....

i dont know if its possible but i might be able to have enough speed for it, all i did was lengthen my reach back, used my should more instead of my arm, moved my thumb closer to the middle in my grip, and focused more on my kick out, and now i can go to about 350, all i need is practice

I've been playing for a long time, I've bought a lot of discs, and I still can't believe I didn't get a nice Valk until a couple of weeks ago. I got a 168 Star Valk and am not looking back...it's simply an amazing disc...

I will second that. I have gotten to the point where i turn over everything to much but the valk seems to harness it very well.

When I say that I turn over a disc I mean when I throw a disc with a little hyzer (maybe 10-15 degrees). Upon doing so the torque from the throw "turns" the disc "over" into an anhyzer line (maybe 10-15 degrees). The is good unless your disc never comes out of the anhyzer and crashes into the ground. You want your disc to begin to "fade" back straight or into a hyzer line for the most distance.

A viking or valk. is a good choice. I've heard the viking is like a faster teebird.

I actually bought both a Valkyrie and Viking before reading this post. I like the Valk...I LOVE my viking. At the Naples course I had such a perfect shot that I couldn't find my disc! I was looking where everybody else was...but I was already RIGHT BEHIND the basket! I literally grabbed it and dropped it in. Super Sweet.

I was also trying Mike's (firefinger on here) discs and I loved his Surge SS elite Z...so I ended up buying one. I don't like the NEW Surge SS as much as a NEW valk. But I get the impression that it will beat in JUST RIGHT and stay that way for a long time.

\/\/

If you're asking the question, then you are humble enough to move to slower discs, so the answer is yes, you're probably throwing too fast of discs. keep the Orc in there for headwind drives, but get some stuff that's a little slower.

This is not my own advice but advice that was given to me and I am now passing down. You know the little flight charts that you see all over the place? If you throw the disc and it flies according to the chart, you are throwing hard enough for that speed. I personally cannot throw anything above an 11. I have a 12 speed and once I can throw it according to the chart...I will step up and get more of the higher speed discs.

BrotherDave's got the right idea with the Teebird (or a TL). It'll easily get out to the distances you're throwing right now, and will be more controlable than an orc or a beast. It's an excellent disc to use to work on your form. Even if you don't use it for your max distance throws, there are always situations where it's nice to have a straighter disc.

sorry to get off track but does the disc turnover because of torque or spin?

I believe it's because of torque. Spin just causes more glide, as it stays gliding in the air longer. Before I ever knew what turn, fade, etc was I always called it "overpowering" a disc. You can take a putter and put a ton of snap on it and it will just glide forever, but try to put any muscle on it and it will dive to the ground.

When someone says to finesse a disc it usually means more spin, less armspeed/torque

Latest posts