• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I too old to expect more?

We do not stop playing because we are old:
We grow old because we stop playing.

48 here and I think I may have a solution to the back issue. I used to get very a very sore back after 18 holes. It was bad enough that I actually had a pro friend of mine who was 23 at the time help me. His suggestion was to watch out for reaching back too far around my body, creating an arc rather than a straight line. Make sure you are drawing a straight line to the aim point. Changing that one thing made the pain go away for me. It also made me more accurate.

I think thats what happening here. Once he is hitting the plant foot in the runup, he has already stalled himself because of the reach back and is furhter complicating it with a hard plant. Then in order to keep the rotation going he is straightening up and pulling right and high which is causing the back pain.

This makes him sound like a mess, but that is just not true. It just comes down to a smooth runup across the pad and keep the weight over his feet. The rest should fall into place, he's already making a dang good atheltic move on the disc.:clap:

GO TEAM OLD FART!!!

I think it depends on what you want out of your game. With the way that you are currently throwing your disc you have a good control position to make your disc do anything you want. If you are looking to add distance I would first ensure you are comfortable with your power grip. Without it anything you are doing is not going to help a ton. From what I can tell from your previous posts it may seem like you have issues with your grip.

I live by the adage...Grip and rip. This doesn't mean grab your disc and throw. It means, position your disc properly in your hand. You must have a grip that maximizes rotation and is easily repeatable up to 100 times over a 2 hour period. If your grip doesn't fit this criteria you must change it till you are comfortable. Then you must rip the cord. Many other people call it the whip. However think about when you started a pull cord lawnmower. You are low to the ground with your knees athletically bent and then you step back and rip the cord. That position is what you must strive for IMO. Low bent knees athletically bent ready to spring into action. Now come up with an approach that you can easily repeat 100 times over a two hour period that will put you into that position comfortably and reliably. Every approach is a little different depending upon the comfort of the player.

Thanks again all !!!! My game has seemed to have gone "south", can't putt can't do an upshot and now I'm stuck at 275-285. I am hoping it is the learning curve getting ready to explode and everything comes together. I know I am overthinking this game and trying to become too good too fast, (the nature of my beast). It is very diificult to incorporate all this information into a mechanically perfect form which seems to be needed to throw 400'. My problem seems to be the competative rounds, when I go by myself and I play a new course I have a great time and end with "that was fun". Competition...end the day with "you suck, you should have done better". I think I will just start playing for fun as it is not like I'm goin' pro or anything. I will try to post a grip video. Seems to be a typical three finger, thumb on top, positioned at the transition of rim and dome, pinching index finger area at the release

I never get good advice from old people...
Then you aren't listening:D

"listen to others, even the dull and ignorant they too have their story" DESIDERATA:clap:

I never get good advice from old people...

Then you aren't listening:D

"listen to others, even the dull and ignorant they too have their story" DESIDERATA:clap:

Been watching your video and first thing, stop going for distance until you get your form down. You could wind up with some chronic pain. You don't want to hang up your discs just yet. Watch your video again. Your shoulders never rotate past your hips. Your right arm never goes back. It looks like you are trying to keep your shoulder and arm from rotating. Your actually bring your arm and shoulder to a stop half way through your follow through with your shoulder up high by your ear. It hurts me just to watch.
It looks like you are having some back or shoulder problems, if not, you are really tensing up to the extreme. Before your throw loosen up. Take a deep breath and slowly exhale. Get some bounce in your knees. Go all loosey goosey. You don't want to throw like your backhanding some guy in a bar fight. Remember smoother is farther.

It looks like you are having some back or shoulder problems, if not, you are really tensing up to the extreme. Before your throw loosen up. Take a deep breath and slowly exhale. Get some bounce in your knees. Go all loosey goosey. You don't want to throw like your backhanding some guy in a bar fight. Remember smoother is farther.

Watched the video yesterday and to me it appeared I was so concentrated on getting the disk to my right pec that I was arching my body backward (leaning). I really do not have any shoulder or back problems, my back hurts all the time, not chronic, just hard work, heavy lifting. Watched again this am and noticed what you are telling me about my shoulder/ear thing. Looks like I'm trying to be a turtle. When I bend a little forward everything seems to go on a super hyzer and I cant ge thet discs to fly flat. I've tried the "lawnmower pull" thing but that just seems starting to low, maybe I should pretend the lawnmower is on a picnic table. As far as backhanding/bar fight I guess thats me trying to get the "elbow chop". I do understand the shoulder past the hip issue and that is something I am trying to work on. So what would you (or anybody) suggest to reform this bad form. I have started driving from a standstill to try to resolve the hip/shoulder rotation issue, and I have done towel snap, right pec, secret technique drills to the point where it seems to not matter. Bottom line how would you fix this form flaw.

So, the main question is:::: How would you start from scratch to correct the form flaws...... I play a decent game but just stuck at 285-300 off the tee. About 1/30 throws I will put one out there 325-375, so i know it's in there.. I recently quit trying to drive max and worked on ups-putts, but any increase in D would help. Where I am located we are dealing with alot of new players and there are very few "distance" throwers to learn from or to teach proper form. The vids are okay to watch but not a very good "teaching" aid. This part of my game is becoming very difficult to master/tame and the advice is greatly appreciated but it seems difficult to apply the "advice" to the actual throw. It seems everything I try to give or take to the drive seems to be a backward move,,,,oat, burners, super hyzer/anny, I have been driving from a standstill (no x step) just reach back and twist. SOOOO How would you start from a 20 year hiatus to correct the form flaws......after beginning to play again 7-8 months ago under my own tutelage?:doh:

I feel your pain. I'm on "team old fart" also (49) and just got serious this year after 2 years as a chucker. I am actually jealous as I am maxing out at about 225 right now, 250 occasionally. My distance is slowly getting better and what seems to help me is not to focus on throwing far but focus on throwing smooth. When I try and throw for distance it can get really ugly. Focusing on just being smooth with my form seems to get me the most improvement.

Hang in there and give em hell for us old guys.

Here's my post from another thread on how to best build from the ground up.

Well, in my opinion, working the technique drills works best when done in a certain order.

Start with the hammer pound drills to learn to "feel the weight of the disc"

Then move on to the right pec drill to learn how to throw from the "power zone"

Then work on the closed shoulder drill to add more of your body's power into the right pec drill.

Then read this thread, particularly the third post, and watch the videos on correct weight shift and transfer.

After that this drill and this thread are worth looking into for fine tuning.

Note, you shouldn't be trying to do this all in a week. You should probably spend several days, maybe a couple weeks on adding in each of these steps, just to make sure you really get the ideas they convey.

Latest posts