• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am world BAGGERS

I say we put the ratings cap for Adv at one lower than whatever 1978 is at just for the laughs.

Then I can truly bag! I have a low risk opportunity every week if I wanted to lower my rating for $10 at our club weekly.

If you were rated 940, traveled far from home, spent money to get there, and ended up playing a B-tier MA1 against jmhoekst (who for argument's sake was "approaching 1000" at that point)...it would matter to you.

I do agree that these are first world problems though.

Many 910 rated players do exactly the same thing, and 920, 930, ... 960, 970... What does your dumb arbitrary rating number mean? This arguement is like comedy. A comedian is funny to"you" until they make fun of something personal to you... Then all of a sudden we want to sensor that specific thing. A 940 rated player doesnt deserve to compete consistently. They dont play well enough. We all know what 940 rated golf looks like. 985 rated golf isnt much prettier. The only people who should have a say in this arguement are the ams and pros rated 960-1000. Everyone else is in it selfishly. Over 1000, you just want higher payouts without playing better golf, under 960 you want your competition to go away without actually playing better golf.

Many 910 rated players do exactly the same thing, and 920, 930, ... 960, 970... What does your dumb arbitrary rating number mean? This arguement is like comedy. A comedian is funny to"you" until they make fun of something personal to you... Then all of a sudden we want to sensor that specific thing. A 940 rated player doesnt deserve to compete consistently. They dont play well enough. We all know what 940 rated golf looks like. 985 rated golf isnt much prettier. The only people who should have a say in this arguement are the ams and pros rated 960-1000. Everyone else is in it selfishly. Over 1000, you just want higher payouts without playing better golf, under 960 you want your competition to go away without actually playing better golf.

Thanks for the validation......:\

Went and did a little research to figure out the time line of the amnesty.

2006 - Pros Playing Am was implemented. The ratings breaks at the time were 955 for MA1, 915 for MA2.

November/December 2006 - Amnesty period. Any player renewing membership for 2007 prior to January 1, 2007 was allowed to renew as an amateur regardless of previous status. Not coincidentally, the Pro membership fee went up from $50 to $75 (and ams from $30 to $50) on January 1, 2007.

2008 - Ratings breaks changed to <970 for MA1, <935 for MA2, etc.
So what you're saying is in 2008 since both of those guys played Open in 2007 that amnesty did not apply. The PDGA just arbitrarily told them "sure you can play AmNationals." despite being pros. A local vender here in Toledo likes to say I was the best finishing amateur at 2008 amnats. Either way I didn't play well enough to win a tournament and I am okay dropping it at that.

Another option would be to create an Open Amateur level above Advanced. Players over a certain rating, perhaps 980, would be bumped to it. Of course, at this stage of our growth it would be a very small division, but 1000-rated players who insisted on not playing Pro could play in divisions or 1 or 2 or 3, and quit beating up on the 940-rated Advanced. And they wouldn't win enough merch for anyone to say they it was the incentive for not going pro. Or they could play Pro, but take merch instead of cash, maintaining their amateur status.

Which was precisely the intent of the short-lived Pro 2 experiment back around 2004. (Short-lived because once the 980+ rated pros realized that the perennial Open bottom-feeders were signing up for Pro 2 instead of just continuing to donate in Open, they threw a hissy fit until the BOD killed it.)

shut up

Im done talkin bout this. Same dee deee deeee's that r defendin this clown are probraly the same dee deee deee's that got the idiot obummer re-elected.

quit being a d**k man. Just go out and beat him and then you get your satisfaction. you were complaining about the worlds in NC. All you ever do is complain about things. Just shut up and beat someone.

quit being a d**k man. Just go out and beat him and then you get your satisfaction. you were complaining about the worlds in NC. All you ever do is complain about things. Just shut up and beat someone.

You're a little late to the party.

i might be late to the party, but it still doesnt change the fact that whiners kill this site. even you said the same . "
"Here's some advice: tone down the false bravado and tone up the skill." -

i might be late to the party, but it still doesnt change the fact that whiners kill this site. even you said the same . "
"Here's some advice: tone down the false bravado and tone up the skill." -

Not my quote. :|

Asked to Ken Climo as 11x world Champion
What should the PDGA do about sandbagging? When do you think a player should move up to the next level?
-Wilbur Wallis, Rantoul, IL

This is a really tough subject. I feel if there were some kind of chart or scale that would move players up it's better than them being taunted into advancement. Anything in black and white that showed what constituted advancement such as a top 3 finish more than three times in an A-Tier event, or something similar.
Personally I feel a player should advance a level when they are holding out for the Amateur World Championships. They should advance right then. Go ahead and play pro, and just turn down the money if you cash. At least you get the experience. Then if they want to play in the Amateur Worlds they can and in the meantime benefit from the better competition. The other reason to advance would be a player dominating for merchandising purposes.

Asked to Ken Climo as 11x world Champion
What should the PDGA do about sandbagging? When do you think a player should move up to the next level?
-Wilbur Wallis, Rantoul, IL

This is a really tough subject. I feel if there were some kind of chart or scale that would move players up it's better than them being taunted into advancement. Anything in black and white that showed what constituted advancement such as a top 3 finish more than three times in an A-Tier event, or something similar.
Personally I feel a player should advance a level when they are holding out for the Amateur World Championships. They should advance right then. Go ahead and play pro, and just turn down the money if you cash. At least you get the experience. Then if they want to play in the Amateur Worlds they can and in the meantime benefit from the better competition. The other reason to advance would be a player dominating for merchandising purposes.

:clap:

At least you get the experience. Then if they want to play in the Amateur Worlds they can and in the meantime benefit from the better competition.

That's where I think Bubba shot himself in the foot by not playing any open events. I knew Steven had an advantage because he has been playing open this year, so he's used to elevated competition. He has played against 1000 rated players and beat them. He knows what it takes, he knows he can do it, so he has the mental game to come out on top. Bubba has been coasting from one victory to the next without anyone really pushing him.

Well there's that... and the fact that AM Worlds is the only Sanctioned tournament he's played so far this year. I kind of know Bubba, i've played rounds with him and occasionally chat with him on FB. Disc Golf isn't his #1 passion. Leading up to Worlds he hadn't really played much at all, all year until about i think it was a month or two leading up. He does get some flack for playing in Adv tourneys when he plays, but honestly seeing some of the Open players around here... I wouldn't want to play with them either. There are some really cool Open players in our area but there are a few that just make the rounds not fun from what i've seen. Breaking chairs on trees, kicking bags, etc. One guy got so bad that at an event where McBeast came and said guy was on the final card with him.... they were all basically just making fun of the guy the whole time.

Bubba is a cool cat. Some people i guess may have bad experiences with him. I never have. For some people, no matter how "good" they are or rating says possibly just don't want to deal with the drama that Open divisions tend to have (at least in this area).

Oh, sorry for double post. As far as Pfaff goes. I play with one of the guys that was on his card for the semi's and i think the round prior. Said Austin was a super cool kid that was just lights out at putting within like 50 feet. If i was that good and i was 16, why WOULDN'T i play in the <=19 division? Kid has three more years until he has to play with higher advanced division if he chooses. But I think someone said he was going to go Pro. I dunno. I don't much care. It's just golf.

Latest posts