• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ambidextrous throwers?

I have tried throwing lefty, but it didn't work out for me.:\

At a tournament yesterday (charity fundraiser doubles event), we had to throw three of the holes offhand. We didn't find out until the morning of the tournament. It was pretty funny watching people who have never even tried it before, attempt it for the first time. I saw one guy throw about fifty feet behind the tee. But he wasn't alone. Even though I've thrown offhand before, and even though I was doing pretty well with it before the tournament, throwing it cold off the tee was pretty difficult. After the round, I went and played a course offhand the whole round. Towards the end, I was driving nealry as far offhand as usual, but putting offhand still eludes me.

I'm ambidextrous in a lot of things, I haven't put in enough work throwing lefty to be great at it but I'll use it when a lefty spike hyzer is the best route or I'm in an awkward spot where a lefty shot has a better chance of getting out.

It's best to learn everything you do with both hands, disc golf too. Imagine waking up with no right hand and having to learn quickly how to wipe you're ass with your left...

I rely 100% on my right arm, however I'm still just as confident in my left arm shots when they are needed. Takes practice like anything else.

i write, eat, shoot pool and guns left handed.

i throw, bat and golf right handed.

i can kind of switch all those things around and some times i find myself eating right handed or putting lefty for fun.

It's best to learn everything you do with both hands, disc golf too. Imagine waking up with no right hand and having to learn quickly how to wipe you're ass with your left...

I rely 100% on my right arm, however I'm still just as confident in my left arm shots when they are needed. Takes practice like anything else.

Wow, this really got me thinking. Wiping offhanded would be tough, and dangerous. Altho I am fairly ambidextrious. Most of that probably comes from juggling. I'm primarily a RHBH thrower, but sometimes throw RHFH, and can throw LHBH for drives and midranges. Left handed putts and forehand shots are still ridiculously hard.

Also, try brushing your teeth with your off hand. Nothing will make you feel retarded faster than that.

Phil Arthur throws ambidextrously ... seems to work for him.

Phil told me the story a few weeks ago. His right arm got injured the day before worlds a number of years ago. He was already there, so he decided to play lefty. After some practice and 2 rounds, he was slugging them out to 400 and by the end of the week he MADE THE CUT into the finals.

Crazy.

I'm surprised how many of you are forgetting that a right handed player can achieve the same flight as a LHBH shot with a RHFH throw. That's a lot easier for most people than learning to throw with their off hand.

For me, over time I think my LHBH would end up further and more consistent than my RHFH. Unlike my RHBH, I get oaty with RHFH time to time and had problem aiming and keep the nose down. Bottom line is that I need to do lot of field work doing both. Lately my RHFH did make some good progress due to putting lot of time on field work. For me I will invest field work time in both LHBH and RHFH and will use what works best for me in competitive rounds.

Did watch Ricky (as well Paul, JohnE and Double GG) last Sunday at Chain Hawk Open in Gainesville FL. Man Ricky got great FH that he can throw far and accurately. I did not see Ricky really misthrow FH all day. That is his big advantage over fellow competitors. One time he threw FH which I thought it end up short because it was so low but it kept flying really far low to ground and skipped for easy birdie.

Woke up Sunday morning with a painful right wrist. Must have done something in my sleep that pulled a muscle or tendon. This wrist pain absolutely ruined my round that morning (+7 at shady oaks). When I got home I didn't feel like I was done golfing for the day. Grabbed a dozen putters and went to the backyard to throw at my baskets for a while. My wrist was bothering me so much I decided to try putting left handed. To my surprise after getting the feel of it for a few minutes I was sinking 25 foot putts pretty consistently. I think I may pursue ambidextrous throwing a bit more for fun.

Woke up Sunday morning with a painful right wrist. Must have done something in my sleep that pulled a muscle or tendon. This wrist pain absolutely ruined my round that morning (+7 at shady oaks). When I got home I didn't feel like I was done golfing for the day. Grabbed a dozen putters and went to the backyard to throw at my baskets for a while. My wrist was bothering me so much I decided to try putting left handed. To my surprise after getting the feel of it for a few minutes I was sinking 25 foot putts pretty consistently. I think I may pursue ambidextrous throwing a bit more for fun.

As explained earlier, I have had left index finger pain for a while, so I've been shooting RHBH every other round or so. It is amazing how much easier it is to go to your off hand in disc golf as opposed to hand-writing or throwing a baseball. I'm not that great left-handed, so my right hand is catching up fast.

I'm naturally Lefty, but grew up throwing a frisbee on the beach RHBH. When i took up this sport last year, i threw RHBH. I figured that throwing LHBH would be a nice compliment and spent several weeks last winter throwing lefty rounds. I can't throw as far, but i have found that having this ability helps a ton on "get out of trouble shots" and on shorter (250 ft) dogleg right drives

I tried throwing lhbh but it was ugly. I always hit rh in baseball so I wondered if switching my stance around might help, but it was horrid. This was also last summer before I "got it". I could see this being helpful, but I think figuring out rhfh accuracy and learning how to get out past 300 on a rhfh drive more consistently would be more helpful at this point. My only problem with this is I've seen how helpful even just a few hours in the field is for my good hand, and always end up thinking I would be doing more good by practicing my bad, good hand shots

For distance, offhand throwing is no good for me[though I'm certain I could make it work if forced to do so]. However, I occasionally putt off-handed to very good effect, which is handy depending on the lay of obstacles.

I had also broken my left wrist (im LHBH) a long time ago and started playing RHBH and it actually wasnt too terrible to adjust to really. I am pretty good at doing things with both hands though so i guess that helped too. I have toyed with the idea of practicing RHBH again to try to incorporate it in to my game but havent started to do it yet.

I've had 2 shoulder surgeries in the past 3 years due to wrestling. Of course on my dominate right arm too. 2 months in a sling and 8 months of rehab both times. Sitting at home during the summer was just too difficult. Went out on the course and started my lefty rounds. After about a month I became pretty successful. Now the shoulder is healed and I throw both. Can no longer RHFH... the motion of it just hurts too much. So I'm definitely glad I learned to throw lefty!

I am right handed. I throw RHBH, RHFH and LHBH. I can throw farther lefty then FH. Sometimes I have trouble ranging left handed though. I do find it more fun to play lefty vs. FH. I think its an advantage having three options.

Latest posts