• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ambidextrous throwers?

I'm naturally righty for everything aside from throwing a frisbee backhand.../shrug. I throw both LHBH and RHFH, which has limited usefulness due to being the same lines, but I've never tried to throw RHBH. Now that I seem to have messed up my left elbow, I'm planning on playing exclusively RHBH while I heal. I've thought about doing it before, but I didn't want to slow my LHBH progress. Now, though, I'm pretty excited about it!

I considered this since my forehand seems limited to about 270-300. I practiced on the field throwing LHBH and even after 4 or 5 practice sessions all I did was turn and burn the discs into the ground. If I ever have an injury that takes my right arm out of commission for a while I would be doing the same thing you're doing now. Another added bonus is if you do this you probably lower your chance of injuring yourself while playing.
Also it has such a huge advantage since sometimes you simply cannot get a good arm motion with where your disc lies, but if you could throw with the opposite arm everything would be ok.
One of my friends is left handed, bowls left, golfs right, plays raquetball left, shoots hoops right, throws RHBH and RHFH and LHBH, putts right handed. If he played disc as often as I did he would woop my ass!

I started out playing left handed, but the courses are almost all right handed courses, so I spent two months throwing right handed and now I am better with right hand throws rather than left hand. I can still get them out there, just not as fluid form as rhbh angmore.

I have that same deal where I don't think I need to learn forehand because my left lhbh can get me there the same.

I know, but I want to work on form more before I try puting too much on my plate at once. I thought about taking lessons from one of the masters champs out here but no time to do that now. so now its just go every week or two and get a round in while trying to keep some kind of form I was getting. I feel like I lost what I had, and now its just chuck it out 300' and no time to practice form, let alone another shot form.

I'm naturally righty for everything aside from throwing a frisbee backhand.../shrug. I throw both LHBH and RHFH, which has limited usefulness due to being the same lines, but I've never tried to throw RHBH. Now that I seem to have messed up my left elbow, I'm planning on playing exclusively RHBH while I heal. I've thought about doing it before, but I didn't want to slow my LHBH progress. Now, though, I'm pretty excited about it!

I am RHBH and LHFH.....and for most things left handed. After looking it up on the good ole' wikipediaI realized I am "mixed handed".

Anyway the LHFH is useful for escape shots but is rarely used off the tee in a tournament. A new course just went in with most holes right at 250 so I have been throwing a lot more sidearms there for practice.

I am. All about having an Ultimate background

this must be a common denominator...

the other ambidextrous disc golfers i've talked to have all, at some point, played serious ultimate at one time or another.

i haven't in a while, but yesterday i get back to doing some RHBH drives. i was surprised at how much torque i was getting having not practiced that in a while. gotta break that out for the summer!

How's this for weird? I played ultimate for the first time in months yesterday, and couldn't throw left handed at all.

I'm throwing 350'+ pretty consistently backhand lefty in disc golf, but I couldn't throw an ultimate disc 20 feet in a strait line.

Right handed just felt natural. I was hitting all of the crazy lines I'm used to.

But right handed disc golf? No way. 100' tops.

But Doctor!

Patient: Will I be able to throw a disc when my hand gets better Doc?
Doctor: Sure! That should not be a problem for you!
Patient: Cool! Because I could not throw a disc before the injury!
Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week! :D

Latest posts