• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
National anthem? Why? I assume everyone already LOVES America and is thankful to be here everyday.

Praying? Feels like a great way to exclude ppl and make the start of the tourney uncomfortable.

We have always done both at our events.

NASCAR does both prior to their events and the Teams & Fans don't seem to not want to spend the money to attend.

It's really a pretty simple decision - folks that don't want to participate - can go get a hot dog, or go to their vehicle and grab a soda pop.

To be frank - there seems to be over 3000 current players in GA & SC alone that are registered with the PDGA. This doesn't include surrounding States, inactive PDGA members and / or players not affiliated with the PDGA. I only need 288 players from a combined populous of over 15million peeps in just GA and SC. Some Players may play in more than one Qualifier . . .

You should probably get a hold of Salient Discs. They are always looking to sponsor events. Delta Cart would be a solid get too.

Yea - Salient kinda went bankrupt. Would love for Chris and Steve to come compete though ;)

What about Vibram discs?

Not sure. Google says this:

Breaking News: Vibram Disc Golf announced it was going out of business on February 20, 2018. There will be one more run of multi-colored discs sold to a limited number of special stores like Marshall Street.

My input would be that you should perhaps make this a faith based tour. (With that said, this is not really your target audience. (A very high percentage of the daily posters here are not pro religion. I personally would prefer fewer threads of forum participants attacking each other back and forth; rather than more attack threads.)

There are some social groups you could join/interact with here on DGCR.

Your business model, as your currently envision it, will not work. What you are proposing will not attract players, in an of itself. The faith based niche would, seriously, be a niche that may have some legs.

If you get that up and running strong; then, non faith based players would enter your tourneys, having seen ratings appropriate to their skill set; or if they are above said skill set, and there is valuable reason at the end of the series, for them to join, then, they would join for said reasons.

At that point, you would be cookin' with gas. It will take quite some years to get to this point though; and it seems to me you think this idea is going to kick off big, any day now. It just doesn't work that way...

A prayer to begin the tournament? What other exclusionary activities are you planning that will ostracize a number of your paid customers away from the festivities and make them feel unwanted?

Disc Golf is for EVERYBODY.

My input would be that you should perhaps make this a faith based tour.

Why? Because I mentioned Christ twice and said that in addition to playing our National Anthem at the start of our events, we would also say a Prayer? Many sporting events, especially NASCAR, do the same . . .

(A very high percentage of the daily posters here are not pro religion.)

I see.

I personally would prefer fewer threads of forum participants attacking each other back and forth; rather than more attack threads.

I haven't personally "attacked" anyone. I have been the brunt of them it seems.

Your business model, as your currently envision it, will not work. What you are proposing will not attract players, in an of itself.

In my initial research and polling, albeit limited, 100% of the Players, TD's and Vendors that I have spoken with love the idea. One even commented that this will fill very quickly.

Will it? Well - that will be the $30,000 question.

It will take quite some years to get to this point though; and it seems to me you think this idea is going to kick off big, any day now. It just doesn't work that way...

We are planning to begin the Southern Classic in mid-April of 2021. We plan to have Sponsors in place by March 1st, 2021. Once this happens - we will open Player Registration. This is when we will know if it's going to work or not.

We will have to wait and see.

A prayer to begin the tournament? What other exclusionary activities are you planning that will ostracize a number of your paid customers away from the festivities and make them feel unwanted?

Disc Golf is for EVERYBODY.

Yep.

If someone doesn't wish to participate in the pre-tournament activities - as stated in another thread, they are free to go to the concession Area and get a hot dog, grab a soda pop from their vehicle or whatever makes them happy.

In my initial research and polling, albeit limited, 100% of the Players, TD's and Vendors that I have spoken with love the idea. One even commented that this will fill very quickly.

Excluding posters on DGCR, some of whom might be players or TDs, themselves.

Yep.

If someone doesn't wish to participate in the pre-tournament activities - as stated in another thread, they are free to go to the concession Area and get a hot dog, grab a soda pop from their vehicle or whatever makes them happy.

What would make me happy, and I presume a fair number of others too, is to not be made an outcast as a condition of signing up for a Disc Golf tournament. A public out-loud prayer is a terrible idea.

Your bible already tells you this:

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

Matthew 6:5-6

By the way, are you even aware Disc Golf began more or less as a counter-culture activity? A fair number of us would rather start the tournament with an armpit fart competition while "Cobwebs and Strange" plays in the background than pray and salute a flag.

Excluding posters on DGCR, some of whom might be players or TDs, themselves.

True.

Luckily most of the naysayers live above the Mason-Dixon line, so they wouldn't be playing in the Southern Classic anyway.

However, that is what is most interesting. Those polled down here, where the Tournaments will take place, love the idea . . .

We will still have to wait and see if the Sponsors and Players open their wallets and pay. That will be the true litmus test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts