• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

How to set par on a course:

Below 6400 ft =Par 54
6401 ft-7200 ft =Par 57
7201 ft-8500 ft =Par 60
8501 ft-9200 ft =Par 64
9201 ft+ =Par 68

I wonder how the ADGT is going to set par?

par is set by distance, so that makes sense.

Perhaps Cobblestone and Blythewood are a bit removed from Owens Field and the Rosewood neighborhood.

The ADGT guys definitely deserve kudos for a deal to put this on at Cobblestone. It should be a great venue. If designed well, it could be a very good course, even though disc-golf-on-a-(ball)-golf-course isn't my cup of tea.

if you watch Dave Dunipace's AMA he thinks the USDGC is the cream of the crop for a professional course - so a more open layout with OB and more elevation is what this venue can boast. I agree that there's nothing wrong with the venue, it could be incredible if designed well.

It would not surprise me if Tim starts charging for the site due to the bandwidth needed just for this thread.

People who enjoy this website should consider bumping up to a paid membership, just in support and appreciation.

And it's clear a lot of people have really enjoyed this particular corner of this website.

if you watch Dave Dunipace's AMA he thinks the USDGC is the cream of the crop for a professional course - so a more open layout with OB and more elevation is what this venue can boast. I agree that there's nothing wrong with the venue, it could be incredible if designed well.

You certainly get the impression Dave doesn't think ping pong through the woods is a good test of the top players. I'm not a fan of it either, too much luck (or unluckyness) involved.

You certainly get the impression Dave doesn't think ping pong through the woods is a good test of the top players. I'm not a fan of it either, too much luck (or unluckyness) involved.

Not retorting you merely thread drifting on the topic: "good test of top players".

Since we already know top players have above average distance (they might even throw as far as message board newbs) why do we bother to test them with distance at all?

Not retorting you merely thread drifting on the topic: "good test of top players".

Since we already know top players have above average distance (they might even throw as far as message board newbs) why do we bother to test them with distance at all?

This thread is the king of drift ;)

Can't speak for Dave -- I do wish there would have been a follow up question regarding his specific preferences/dislikes in pro level course design.

I feel that a course like Moraine from last years Worlds was a great test of distance and other dg skills. Lots of different challenges. I wonder if some would consider it too wooded?

Anyone seen these yet?

http://www.discstore.com/discgolf/pro-shops/american-open/american-disc-golf-tour-liquid-vaccine

They really need some outside help with stamp design. :eek:

That is ugly. Almost looks like a double stamp misprint the way its done.

Interesting thought. Although watching pros throw far is pretty fun.

It is interesting when I have traveled and played tournaments outside of SC, NC and GA, the first thing many people ask when they find out I am from SC is, "have you played Winthrop?" not realizing it is not considered the best course in SC by most locals. There should be much more elevation at Cobblestone than at Winthrop for sure. The Ballentyne Golf Resort in Charlotte had an event last weekend with more elevation that Winthrop but was not as steep as Cobblestone in areas but open on most holes. The only holes with significant elevation at Winthrop really are #3, the side of the hill on #11, #12, #14 and #18 compared to traditional golf courses. Some may say #1 and #17 but they are not really that steep compared to traditional courses. Hopefully Cobblestone will be setup like Ballentyne and not Winthrop where ams are not throwing driver for most shots on flat ground until they reach the greens. I would like to see a par 62 with 12 par 3s, 4 par 4s and 2 par 5s.

This thread is the king of drift ;)

Can't speak for Dave -- I do wish there would have been a follow up question regarding his specific preferences/dislikes in pro level course design.

I think that Ian said that a part two would be coming sometime. Maybe more insight there?

If USDGC is where "growing the sport" takes disc golf, then count me out (of the mainstream game, anyway). :(

Very poor stamp design. Salient doesnt have a lot of great discs, but the LM Vaccine is one of thEM.

Never thrown one, my general rule now is if Glide in Madison doesn't carry it I'm not throwing it. I prefer to buy discs locally and they carry just about everything, including a pretty large used selection. Mike, the owner, is about as good a guy as there is. And their digital scale weighs down to the zillionth of a gram. :p

I think that Ian said that a part two would be coming sometime. Maybe more insight there?

If USDGC is where "growing the sport" takes disc golf, then count me out (of the mainstream game, anyway). :(

I was initially under the impression they had already filmed part 2, but they haven't. So hopefully we can give them more questions to ask before they do. Personally, I like courses where you have multiple throwing options on holes -- risk/reward type shots. Take the tight wooded line if you want to run it, or take a big hyzer or anny line to play it safe. Or take a line over OB, or lay up. Not a big fan of densely wooded courses where you only have one option on most holes, but I know many players do.

I think I would like the Cobblestone layout, but since the course map hasn't been published yet who really knows what to expect. I think they're missing the boat by not publishing it by now.

Personally, I like courses where you have multiple throwing options on holes -- risk/reward type shots. Take the tight wooded line if you want to run it, or take a big hyzer or anny line to play it safe. Or take a line over OB, or lay up. Not a big fan of densely wooded courses where you only have one option on most holes, but I know many players do.

If you're talking about high level pro disc golf, the priority is not what makes the course fun to play, it's what makes the course fun to watch. Consider Maple Hill vs Winthrop. I've played both, Maple Hill is a much, much more fun course to play. But it just doesn't translate as well to video.

A made-for-TV event is going to benefit for a more spectator friendly, less fun course.